ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Hatch sti 08 front shocks (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1044316-hatch-sti-08-front-shocks.html)

Lee225 28 December 2016 04:14 PM

Hatch sti 08 front shocks

Hi
My sti hatch has developed a slight knock from the front suspension when going slowly (under 20mph) or when reversing. I've changed all bushes and the droplinks but still have the noise. I've been trying to source some front shocks as I'm thinking that's what the knocking is now, I just called my local Subaru dealer and they quoted me £388 per side for just the shocks! To me that sounds a lot. I then tried all my local auto factors and none of them stock or can get shocks for my car. Does anyone know where I can get some cheaper front shocks? My only other option is coilovers which I'm not sure about as I've heard they can cause the comfort of the ride to be reduced.
Cheers

fpan 28 December 2016 05:23 PM

How many miles does the car have?
Jack up the car and hold the wheel from the 12-6 position and see if there is any play. If not it probably isn't the shock.
Does the knock happen even on smooth roads?
It could be the top mounts, too.

Lee225 28 December 2016 05:31 PM

The cars done 74000 miles. Yes you can hear it on smooth roads, mainly hear it when reversing on to my drive though. Changed top mounts a couple of months ago.

fpan 28 December 2016 05:55 PM

Fair enough and at that mileage I guess they have seen better days.
Importing from US despite postage and tax can sometimes work out cheaper: https://www.subaruparts.com/

Lee225 28 December 2016 07:01 PM

I just can't believe how much replacement shocks cost and it seems strange you can't buy non genuine shocks for the sti hatch. Maybe coilovers are the way to go?

domino46 28 December 2016 08:11 PM

i should be removing my Sti suspension in the next couple of weeks to put coil overs on so mine will be going up for sale

Lee225 28 December 2016 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11906298)
i should be removing my Sti suspension in the next couple of weeks to put coil overs on so mine will be going up for sale

That could be a plan. Just out of interest, what coilovers are you going for?

lazscooby 28 December 2016 10:08 PM

I got my rear shocks from adgespeed. Came off a delivery mileage car being prepped for rally. Paid £120 a corner.

Lee225 28 December 2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by lazscooby (Post 11906324)
I got my rear shocks from adgespeed. Came off a delivery mileage car being prepped for rally. Paid £120 a corner.

I'll check them out. Thank you very much for the info, could save me a few quid!

domino46 29 December 2016 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lee225 (Post 11906303)
That could be a plan. Just out of interest, what coilovers are you going for?

Got a set of BC's cheap so will run with them for a bit and see how they hold up , don't use the car as much these days so the ride shouldn't bother me to much

RAGGY DOO 29 December 2016 01:32 PM

I'm putting ohlins on mine over next few weeks me my jdm struts and springs will be up for sale too

Lee225 29 December 2016 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11906385)
I'm putting ohlins on mine over next few weeks me my jdm struts and springs will be up for sale too

How much would you want for your struts and springs?

domino46 30 December 2016 06:50 AM

I'll be asking £150 for all my 330s suspension fronts and rears

Lee225 01 January 2017 12:15 PM

Has anyone else experienced front suspension knocking on an sti hatchback? I've read a couple of comments on it but it seems very rare!! I've changed all front bushes, droplinks and the strut top mount. Can think what else it could be other than the shocks. The knocking doesn't affect the performance of the car, it's just annoying!!
Cheers

fpan 01 January 2017 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lee225 (Post 11906898)
Has anyone else experienced front suspension knocking on an sti hatchback? I've read a couple of comments on it but it seems very rare!! I've changed all front bushes, droplinks and the strut top mount. Can think what else it could be other than the shocks. The knocking doesn't affect the performance of the car, it's just annoying!!
Cheers

Have you got a chance to check for any play at 12-6 o'clock with the wheel in the air as mentioned previously?

Lee225 01 January 2017 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11906974)
Have you got a chance to check for any play at 12-6 o'clock with the wheel in the air as mentioned previously?

Yes I checked that and it has no play on both sides. I have noticed that if I stand by the side of the car and rock it from side to side I can hear a slight knock/click. Could that be linked to the noise I get when driving?!

fpan 01 January 2017 07:09 PM

You need to lift the boot cover and get someone to feel for play between the shock's stanchion/piston and the shock body while you shake the wheel.

Lee225 01 January 2017 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11907010)
You need to lift the boot cover and get someone to feel for play between the shock's stanchion/piston and the shock body while you shake the wheel.

I'll try that tomorrow. Do the symptoms sound like shocks to you or could something else be causing it?

fpan 03 January 2017 12:25 PM

I can't say and only ask to check the above from experience. If there is play between the piston and shock's body it means that the shock's bush insert has worn and you should be able to feel it and perhaps hear it when you do the above test.

I had a knocking (sounded like plank to plank) when going over road undulations at slow speeds that drove me mad and it turned out I had forgotten to fit a rubber washer between the IC undertray and the bonnet!

Lee225 07 January 2017 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 11907338)
I can't say and only ask to check the above from experience. If there is play between the piston and shock's body it means that the shock's bush insert has worn and you should be able to feel it and perhaps hear it when you do the above test.

I had a knocking (sounded like plank to plank) when going over road undulations at slow speeds that drove me mad and it turned out I had forgotten to fit a rubber washer between the IC undertray and the bonnet!

I checked again today and there is play between the piston and the shock body, I suppose that means new shocks are needed!?!? Both sides had quite a lot of play..
cheers

fpan 08 January 2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lee225 (Post 11908575)
I checked again today and there is play between the piston and the shock body, I suppose that means new shocks are needed!?!? Both sides had quite a lot of play..
cheers

That's not good but it seems you have nailed the problem now.