ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Turkey Cooking Tip (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1044258-turkey-cooking-tip.html)

David Lock 23 December 2016 10:36 AM

Turkey Cooking Tip

I didn't see the programme but the guy who won the Professional Cook Master class, Gary, was on Radio 5 this morning and was asked for one tip for cooking the traditional Xmas dinner.

His tip was NEVER FOIL A TURKEY. Cook the bird upside down to start with (I knew that bit) and finally turn it the right way up to brown the breast.

For 50 years I have had turkey and foil was always used so may try this on Sunday :thumb:

David

Turbohot 23 December 2016 10:53 AM

Don't you think it will go quite dry, if cooked without the foil? :confused:

Turbohot 23 December 2016 10:55 AM

Oh, hang on. If you're cooking it upside down, it will cook in its own juices. I get it now. :thumb:

dpb 24 December 2016 08:03 PM

And it may well tear the skin off the brest if you're cooking on a rack ,which most would

lozgti1 24 December 2016 08:06 PM

Just don't have turkey.lol

We are having swan

Not really your Maj :-)

lozgti1 24 December 2016 08:08 PM

:thumb:We are having duck though

Turbohot 24 December 2016 08:42 PM

Never mind Turkey, my mother in law made gorgeous honey roast ham today. I don't even like ham but it tasted something out of this world! Turkey for tomorrow was also prep-ed by her, as per Jamie Oliver's way of prep-ing it. She said if it turns out to be crap tomorrow, she will leave him a very bad feedback on Facebook. :D

stealthbomber 24 December 2016 09:46 PM

http://www.kellyturkeys.co.uk/kellyb...w-to-cook.aspx

johned 24 December 2016 10:44 PM

For me it is just a dinner so no big deal.

dpb 24 December 2016 11:35 PM

indeed , make sure not too plastered to forget to remove from oven ...

jobs a goodun

;)

dpb 24 December 2016 11:37 PM

I got one them thermometers

bloody useless :rolleyes:

Wull 25 December 2016 09:46 AM

Best tip is get someone else to cook it whilst you sit back, do sweet fook all and enjoy plenty booze :lol1:

EddScott 25 December 2016 10:19 AM

Here's my tip.

Don't leave till Xmas eve to take the bloody thing out the freezer.

I'm not a popular chap this morning.

Wull 25 December 2016 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 11905832)
Here's my tip.

Don't leave till Xmas eve to take the bloody thing out the freezer.

I'm not a popular chap this morning.

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

dpb 25 December 2016 12:53 PM

Got the thermometer working , trying that recip . Thanks swati

gazzawrx 25 December 2016 04:17 PM

Best tip is to order a curry, turkey dinners are crap anyway, christmas is all about being happy etc and we all know you cant beat a curry and beers.

wayne9t9 25 December 2016 07:18 PM

Tried the upside down thing, didn`t seem to make much difference, it turned out fine anyway. I did try roasting the sprouts this year and had very good results, much better than boiled :)

RobJenks 26 December 2016 03:16 AM

I have been cooking my chickens vertically with a punctured beer can in the cavity- Guarantees a moist breast .
This year did it with the turkey and it was the best ever - but you need a big oven!

dpb 26 December 2016 03:52 AM

Doesn't it taste of fosters though :(

I thought stuffing the bird with Xmas pudding and egg quite novel

A sort of two in one :)

Turbohot 26 December 2016 12:26 PM

One thing about Christmas dinner, it's really simple to make. Turkey is like chicken, but a bit dry and fat. So, as long as you can ensure that it comes out tender by roasting in in slow heat, you've got it sorted.

Ours was good. Negatives are that the Jamie Oliver gravy recipe that the Mother in Law followed was a bit too rich, and I missed almonds-cashews in plain Christmas pudding with rich orange zest and far too many currants for my choice in it. Not JO's fault at all. I reckon it was the M.I.L. who went OTT with the ingredients.

Turbohot 26 December 2016 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11905839)
Got the thermometer working , trying that recip . Thanks swati

I never gave any recipe, it was the poster called Stealthbomber who put up a good link that corresponds the turkey to its cooking temperatures.

You've been too drunk over this Christmas period, Duncan. What have you been on? :D

joz8968 26 December 2016 01:39 PM

JO reckons 35-40mins for every kg of a free range job.

Or 40-50 for their more imprisoned brethren lol.

Turbohot 26 December 2016 01:49 PM

I must say I do like a Jamie Oliver. Top chef, very uncomplicated, very easy to follow and seems like a top man, too.

joz8968 26 December 2016 02:22 PM

... But with a slightly oversized tongue. :lol1: :lol1: #cheapshot #lowblow

He does dig his beloved Essex.

As do I (despite not living there anymore, sadly). :cry:

Turbohot 26 December 2016 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11905956)
... But with a slightly oversized tongue. :lol1: :lol1: #cheapshot #lowblow

Well, some kids with such require speech therapy or develop/correct their lisp. So it's like a slightly different something about him. Doesn't cast any shadow on him.

He does dig his beloved Essex.

As do I (despite not living there anymore, sadly). :cry:
Ok.

He's very pleasant and a decent chap. Will certainly visit one of his restaurants in 2017, to check out what the food is like, there.