ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Weak signal iPhone 6s (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1044091-weak-signal-iphone-6s.html)

dpb 11 December 2016 09:41 AM

Weak signal iPhone 6s

Network insist iv got signal.

Actually its dead slow on 3g and often goes to E. !

No wonder they've altered antennae design now

http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6...blog-14677.php

JackClark 11 December 2016 09:46 AM

You're holding it wrong.

dpb 11 December 2016 09:50 AM

Ah yes ,i should be holding it on the end of a pole !

toffee_pie 11 December 2016 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902670)
You're holding it wrong.

Apple even decides how customers should hold a phone ffs.

toffee_pie 11 December 2016 12:59 PM

Do Apple stipulate how to properly hold iphones in the IFU to mitigate against shoddy design.

Apple iPhone 6s reception tested, results come out pretty bad

Gert Frolund Pedersen, professor at Aalborg University in Denmark had his name first known in the tech circles with the iPhone 4 "Antennagate" scandal. Ever since, the antenna expert has been putting phones under careful testing, with a focus on the antenna performance. The Apple iPhone 6s reception was the latest to be subjected to his tests and the findings aren't very flattening.
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone...blog-14677.php

Spoon 11 December 2016 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11899571)
It has just worked for me, 6s for a year now - crashed three times only, I think :(

So boringly efficient it drives to despair sometimes

ALi-B 11 December 2016 02:58 PM

Seeing that wireless communication electronics was my original field of study, I will say this:

ANY device that requires omnidirectional reception/transmission that doesn't have a dipole aerial and isn't distanced away from its electronics or anything that will block or interfere with the signal WILL perform poorly.

The only reason why phones have got away without having proper aerials is because the circuitry now is more sensitive and selective to improve signal to noise ratios which can work better with reflected signals along with more cellular network coverage minimising weak signal areas.

Fact of the matter is, if a phone had a proper aerial that wasn't half-blocked by its case and using current day circuitry, it'd have fantastic reception almost anywhere.

People think that fundamental electronics don't apply anymore, they do, and always will. Just manufacturers have bent the rules a little for the sakes of aesthetics. Much like those complaining about poor WiFi signal, when their router is hidden behind a desk and all their devices don't have external aerials.....

In short technology has its limitations. Of course if the antenna connectors inside the case has come loose or isn't properly seated (which can happen due to vibration and shock) then signal will also suffer.

Get a Nokia 6110 ;) :p

neil-h 11 December 2016 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902670)
You're holding it wrong.

That wasn't fair :lol1:

dpb 11 December 2016 06:02 PM

I don't recall my lg viewty having such problems

JackClark 11 December 2016 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11902773)
I don't recall my lg viewty having such problems

For about a week you were ahead of the curve.

JackClark 11 December 2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11902729)
That wasn't fair :lol1:

Triggered TP - 1 point
Angered OP - 0 point

Good result.

dpb 11 December 2016 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 11902711)

I didn't need this sort of excitement

Spoon 11 December 2016 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11902799)
I didn't need this sort of excitement

No but in response to my post in that thread and considering this thread it was just what I needed.

dpb 11 December 2016 09:23 PM

Does 6110 have Edge? , it could well be quicker than this one .

It's not like I'm in the backwoods either

Spoon 11 December 2016 09:49 PM

Have you double clicked your home button and removed all apps? Have you cleared your history and website data? Reset network settings? Taken off background app refresh?

JackClark 11 December 2016 09:59 PM

The phone's fine, he needs to move.

Spoon 11 December 2016 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902814)

I wouldn't have anywhere near the faith in an Apple product as I did, Jack. They are struggling now to keep up and maintain a stability they once had.

In the OP''s case he might just need to put the bottle down.

toffee_pie 11 December 2016 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902814)

LOL, Of course the Apple iPhone is fine, if you have a crap signal you are either holding it wrong or you need to sell your gaff and move elsewhere.

Apple (and Jack) says so.

alternatively, just a crazy suggestion here - buy an Android and keep your house and feel free to hold it anyway you wish.

You lose some brownie points for not being an elite member of the Apple hierarchy however.

dpb 12 December 2016 03:18 AM

I put Stella down , or least drank her all :lol:

Iv got 40gb free space/ been through every setting several times

Unfortunately my previous Android won't accept sim card and is locked anyway, so will have to shell out 50 quid on another one . But, I had this run around with Vodafone couple years ago when they supposedly had some engineering works, blasted phone wouldn't work accept outside their shop. Maddening, but only lasted month.

JackClark 12 December 2016 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11902826)
LOL, Of course the Apple iPhone is fine, if you have a crap signal you are either holding it wrong or you need to sell your gaff and move elsewhere.

Apple (and Jack) says so.

alternatively, just a crazy suggestion here - buy an Android and keep your house and feel free to hold it anyway you wish.

You lose some brownie points for not being an elite member of the Apple hierarchy however.

Buy an Android, if you're buying Android then you're doing it wrong, Android is free, well, you're selling your behaviour instead of buying it.

neil-h 12 December 2016 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902784)
Triggered TP - 1 point
Angered OP - 0 point

Good result.

Make that 2.

JackClark 12 December 2016 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11902853)
Make that 2.

3 before the day's out.

neil-h 12 December 2016 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902856)
3 before the day's out.

Only 3? You're not even trying ;)

Devildog 12 December 2016 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11902668)
Network insist iv got signal.

Actually its dead slow on 3g and often goes to E. !

No wonder they've altered antennae design now

http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6...blog-14677.php

There's nothing wrong with the phone and everything wrong with Vodfone.

Of course if you'd not actually intende to troll, you'd have linked to ytour service provider's ineptitude rather than some random Danish test

Googling "vodafone are sh1t" produces over 1 million hits.

dpb 12 December 2016 03:46 PM

I don't think can be all the network because the salesman in apple shop mid town on same network same phone with 3g signal connected straight away , mine lagged ....

id like use another phone with this sim to reassure myself

maybe its even the sim

JackClark 12 December 2016 03:59 PM

Shops sometimes use a different APN. There was a 6 month period where I live where 3G was on it's knees, you could switch APN and play it a bit.

There's nothing spectacular about the aerials in iPhones but they're not lacking R&D.

Devildog 12 December 2016 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11902957)
I don't think can be all the network because the salesman in apple shop mid town on same network same phone with 3g signal connected straight away , mine lagged ....

id like use another phone with this sim to reassure myself

maybe its even the sim

Ask them to swap out your sim. I had an issue with one on O2 a few years back.

toffee_pie 12 December 2016 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902959)
Shops sometimes use a different APN. There was a 6 month period where I live where 3G was on it's knees, you could switch APN and play it a bit.

There's nothing spectacular about the aerials in iPhones but they're not lacking R&D.

Apple have done a magnificent job in turning you into a fanatic that you are.

Seriously, you should get a position as head of marketing, take neil here as your understudy he is slowly learning from the master.

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 11902944)
There's nothing wrong with the phone and everything wrong with Vodfone.

Of course if you'd not actually intende to troll, you'd have linked to ytour service provider's ineptitude rather than some random Danish test

Googling "vodafone are sh1t" produces over 1 million hits.

Googling Apple poor reception brings up a $hit load of hits also mind you
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...or%20reception

lets try again Jack, you clearly have a problem with basic reading comprehension.

Gert Frolund Pedersen, professor at Aalborg University in Denmark had his name first known in the tech circles with the iPhone 4 "Antennagate" scandal. Ever since, the antenna expert has been putting phones under careful testing, with a focus on the antenna performance. The Apple iPhone 6s reception was the latest to be subjected to his tests and the findings aren't very flattening.

Pedersen pitted the iPhone 6s against a variety of phones including the iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 and the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. The reception test measures the antenna performance in the GSM 900 frequency band in dBm. This is the band most often used for placing calls and is the backup band of choice in Denmark and a number of other GSM countries.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9b84f22c6d.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...111541cedc.jpg

neil-h 12 December 2016 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11902856)
3 before the day's out.

If you include the other thread, that's 4 :lol1:

JackClark 12 December 2016 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11903001)
If you include the other thread, that's 4 :lol1:

:thumb: