ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I'm a Flashaholic (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1043743-im-a-flashaholic.html)

RS_Matt 14 June 2023 12:14 AM

NEW WORLD'S BRIGHTEST FLASHLIGHT! worth the huge RRP?

IdonthaveaScooby 14 June 2023 10:16 PM

Got to be one of the more bizzare hobbies/interests ??? on the planet

scoobaholic 15 June 2023 10:42 PM

At least it's cheaper than running a Subaru!:lol1::facepalm:

Actually thanks to these sort of reviews I bought myself a good hand torch and a head/worklight. Am super happy with them, much better than the usual lights sold. I'll give that 120,000 Lumens weapon a miss tho!

RS_Matt 19 June 2023 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by scoobaholic (Post 12132249)
At least it's cheaper than running a Subaru!:lol1::facepalm:

Actually thanks to these sort of reviews I bought myself a good hand torch and a head/worklight. Am super happy with them, much better than the usual lights sold. I'll give that 120,000 Lumens weapon a miss tho!

Even the budget Chinese flashlight blow people away when they see them. It's amazing how many people just buy the cheap zoomies off ebay/Amazon that are limited to 400ish lumens and have an horrid blue tint. Or cheap supermarket lights that barely light your feet.

RS_Matt 05 August 2023 01:10 PM

Too much time on my hands...

RS_Matt 08 November 2023 12:26 PM

Need range?

RS_Matt 23 January 2024 01:43 PM

I'm not sure I need 200,000 lumens, felt a bit sketchy using it.

scunnered 23 January 2024 03:42 PM

Matt, I'd like to ask your advice on getting a pair of replacement 21700 batteries..
Before Christmas, I bought a Nightwatch NS14R from Nealsgadgets. It came with a pair of Nightwatch branded batteries rated at 60A (I assume that's peak current, not continuous).
The batteries don't last long when I'm out dog walking my big daft Malinois pup on the moors. I only get around 30 minutes used continuously on low and medium, with perhaps half a dozen short turbo activations. It's a great torch for the low price, but I still prefer my old Nitecore concept 2. Used roughly in the same way, I can get 8 hours before recharging the NItecore.
Looking for spare batteries for tthe NS14R, I cannot find any other battery with such a high current rating. I guess if I use a higher capacity battery with a lower peak current rating its going to get quite hot. Your advice on a set of spares would be appreciated.
Oh, by the way, after watching your video on the Spyra 2 (multiple times), I bought a Spyra 3. It's the best, and most fun toy I've bought myself in decades.

RS_Matt 06 February 2024 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by scunnered (Post 12136396)
Matt, I'd like to ask your advice on getting a pair of replacement 21700 batteries..
Before Christmas, I bought a Nightwatch NS14R from Nealsgadgets. It came with a pair of Nightwatch branded batteries rated at 60A (I assume that's peak current, not continuous).
The batteries don't last long when I'm out dog walking my big daft Malinois pup on the moors. I only get around 30 minutes used continuously on low and medium, with perhaps half a dozen short turbo activations. It's a great torch for the low price, but I still prefer my old Nitecore concept 2. Used roughly in the same way, I can get 8 hours before recharging the NItecore.
Looking for spare batteries for tthe NS14R, I cannot find any other battery with such a high current rating. I guess if I use a higher capacity battery with a lower peak current rating its going to get quite hot. Your advice on a set of spares would be appreciated.
Oh, by the way, after watching your video on the Spyra 2 (multiple times), I bought a Spyra 3. It's the best, and most fun toy I've bought myself in decades.

Try Molicel P42A or P45B from Fogstar or ecolux, they have 4200mAh and 4500mAh and will still make any 21700 flashlight sing.

I've looked at getting the Spyra 3 but the Spyra 2 took forever to arrive. I'd get a Spyra 4 if it has more power!!

scunnered 07 February 2024 07:13 AM

Thanks Matt,
I had just recently received a couple of button top Molicel P45B. They are a couple of milimeters shorter than the Nightwatch batteries, and don't work in the torch. So I improvised by soldering a small hex nut to the top of one of them. Now they work just fine, and last about twice as long as the nightwatch batteries.
As for the Spyra 3. Of the three firing modes, I only ever use it in open mode. It fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.
I cannot find a reference to any version 4. Do you know something that hasn't been made public yet?

RS_Matt 09 February 2024 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by scunnered (Post 12136644)
Thanks Matt,
I had just recently received a couple of button top Molicel P45B. They are a couple of milimeters shorter than the Nightwatch batteries, and don't work in the torch. So I improvised by soldering a small hex nut to the top of one of them. Now they work just fine, and last about twice as long as the nightwatch batteries.
As for the Spyra 3. Of the three firing modes, I only ever use it in open mode. It fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.
I cannot find a reference to any version 4. Do you know something that hasn't been made public yet?

No news on 4 yet.
The Molicel aren't proper button tops but they do have slightly raised tops which is super useful in most lights that don't have a spring on the driver side. I'm not sure proper button top high drain 21700's exist, even the 3000mAh Nightwatch/Lishen 60A batteries have soldered tops.

scunnered 09 February 2024 02:40 PM

Hi Matt,
It was these I bought. They offer them in flat top, button top, or tabs.
https://www.nubattery.co.uk/molicel-...-21700-battery

scunnered 12 March 2024 08:39 PM

Matt, it seems you were right about Spyra. They have just announced their new "SpyraGo" model.
It's smaller, lighter, and has a tank capacity of 75 water bullets.
It goes on sale on March 26th.

RS_Matt 24 April 2024 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by scunnered (Post 12136682)
Hi Matt,
It was these I bought. They offer them in flat top, button top, or tabs.
https://www.nubattery.co.uk/molicel-...-21700-battery

Everyone is going crazy for them, I just bought 8.
I'm still on the fence with the Spyra 3

This is my latest fun toy!

RS_Matt 12 May 2024 11:58 AM

I guess someone had to do it...

IdonthaveaScooby 16 May 2024 12:12 PM

Come back PSL , all is forgiven

:cry: :cry: