ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   relocating battery to the boot (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/1043733-relocating-battery-to-the-boot.html)

360ste 26 November 2016 04:01 PM

relocating battery to the boot

I am wanting to relocate the battery to the boot so I can fit my fuel swirl pot and Bosch external pump in the engine bay. Has anyone done this and if so what size cable did you use?

TimH 26 November 2016 08:26 PM

Just as an option, you could relocate the washer bottle instead: that's what I did.

But, to answer your question, I would use 25mm2 cable. There are battery relocation kits available that have all the parts you need.

360ste 26 November 2016 09:04 PM

Cheers Tim, was thinking 170 amp cable would be enough, may move the washer bottle aswell as could mount the pump in that area.

TimH 26 November 2016 09:32 PM

25mm/170A cable means you're unlikely to drop more than 0.5V during cranking.

Make sure earth connection is really good to the chassis, and that the battery is securely mounted and installed safely so anything thrown in the boot won't short it out!

alcazar 27 November 2016 12:01 PM

Use the best cable you can get, and think about using an earth return cable too, maybe along the opposite cill?

TimH 27 November 2016 05:43 PM

Shouldn't need an earth return cable - the chassis will have a lower resistance than a cable, so just make sure the battery earth is well connected to the chassis in the boot.

alcazar 27 November 2016 06:05 PM

the chassis will have a lower resistance than a cable,
beg to disagree.

earthing kits are well worth having fpor older Scoobs, and any return path will be dependent on making a GOOD connection. You can do that easily with a cable, not so easily to painted sheet metal.

TimH 27 November 2016 06:12 PM

Each to their own - if it were me, I'd sort the earthing out so that all the earthing points work right; but a cable back to the boot is maybe easier!

All the cars I've worked on with relocated batteries have not needed an earth cable running from the front to the back - but they tend to be stripped out race/track cars and perhaps don't have the same power demands (no luxuries lol).

360ste 27 November 2016 09:58 PM

Cheers guys, work as an electrician and spent 10 years of my military career working on various vehicle categories so won't be an issue. Pity I did not keep a pair of jump leads I once made up they were fit for trucks so would have saved me buying cable. Had a quick look today but I might be leaving the battery in the engine bay as the swirl pot might be too tall for the front but will check and also check on the washer bottle position as also mentioned

TimH 27 November 2016 10:00 PM

Is yours a newage? I had a swirl pot made up that took an 044 and fitted where the washer bottle went.

360ste 27 November 2016 10:08 PM

Yes mines a bug. Bought the swirl pot 4 years ago so not really rushed to fit it (LOL).

bustaMOVEs 27 November 2016 10:13 PM

Swirl pot is best in boot for safety.
Leave battery where it is,(or move to boot also in a sealed box) if anything reduce size for weight reduction.

TimH 27 November 2016 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This wasn't mine (I copied it lol) but gives you an idea:

Attachment 28547

TimH 27 November 2016 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11898884)
Swirl pot is best in boot for safety.

Not sure I agree? Unless you fit a firewall.

Engine bay is designed to cope with crashes and fuel leakage, and the front bulkhead is a good fire barrier.

If you have a rear end shunt with a boot mounted swirl pot it will spill fuel everywhere and with no firewall, I wouldn't want to be in that!

JGlanzaV 28 November 2016 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by TimH (Post 11898886)

Engine bay is designed to cope with crashes and fuel leakage, and the front bulkhead is a good fire barrier.

If you have a rear end shunt with a boot mounted swirl pot it will spill fuel everywhere and with no firewall, I wouldn't want to be in that!

I agree with you Tim.

Someone mentioned on a thread previously about a fire risk with fuel and exhaust manifolds.

Neat fuel in large quantities will not burn on an exhaust manifold. I had a burst fuel pipe ln my scoob and it dumped nearly half a tank of fuel on the manifolds. It just evaporated and smelt a bit funny....

I wouldnt have a swirl pot in the boot without the fire wall etc

alcazar 28 November 2016 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11898909)
I agree with you Tim.

Someone mentioned on a thread previously about a fire risk with fuel and exhaust manifolds.

Neat fuel in large quantities will not burn on an exhaust manifold. I had a burst fuel pipe ln my scoob and it dumped nearly half a tank of fuel on the manifolds. It just evaporated and smelt a bit funny....

I wouldnt have a swirl pot in the boot without the fire wall etc

Same thing happened to me.
I remember switching off and watching fuel boil off the down pipe, waiting the huge "wooof" and flames...but they never came.

TECHNOPUG 28 November 2016 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 360ste (Post 11898879)
Cheers guys, work as an electrician and spent 10 years of my military career working on various vehicle categories so won't be an issue. Pity I did not keep a pair of jump leads I once made up they were fit for trucks so would have saved me buying cable. Had a quick look today but I might be leaving the battery in the engine bay as the swirl pot might be too tall for the front but will check and also check on the washer bottle position as also mentioned

If you want to save money on cable, look for 5/7 Series BMW's in scrap yards/breakers. They have rear mounted batteries and use 0AWG IIRC.

JGlanzaV 28 November 2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11898825)
beg to disagree.

earthing kits are well worth having fpor older Scoobs, and any return path will be dependent on making a GOOD connection. You can do that easily with a cable, not so easily to painted sheet metal.

The chassis will have lower resistance than a cable due to the CSA of a chassis been enormous compared to any cable and parallel paths etc.

The reason earthing kits work on older cars is due to poorly maintained cruddy connections. You clean those connections it will do the same thing.

Sheilding the sensor cables are where the gains would come from

bustaMOVEs 28 November 2016 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TimH (Post 11898886)

Obviously yes.

SmurfyBhoy 28 November 2016 02:27 PM

My setup was done by previous owner,

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...499c4dc880.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...92d5b00767.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...54d2286592.jpg

stealthy55 28 November 2016 05:03 PM

mines got battery under bonnet, swirl pot and twin pumps in boot, quite happy where they are but each to their own

alcazar 28 November 2016 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11898967)
The chassis will have lower resistance than a cable due to the CSA of a chassis been enormous compared to any cable and parallel paths etc.

The reason earthing kits work on older cars is due to poorly maintained cruddy connections. You clean those connections it will do the same thing.

Sheilding the sensor cables are where the gains would come from

You are assuming a chassis in decent nick, not much rust and the joints well made, though.

A high quality new copper cable will be superior, trust me.

joz8968 28 November 2016 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 360ste
...Pity I did not keep a pair of jump leads I once made up they were fit for trucks...

Purely out of interest, roughly what was the cross-sectional area of the cables?

How thick was each individual strand of copper?

360ste 29 November 2016 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11899066)
Purely out of interest, roughly what was the cross-sectional area of the cables?

How thick was each individual strand of copper?

Made them over 10 years ago and got rid of them can't remember.

TimH 29 November 2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11899015)
My setup was done by previous owner,

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...92d5b00767.jpg

:eek: Get an insulation boot on that +ve terminal before there's a major mishap, please!

SmurfyBhoy 01 December 2016 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by TimH (Post 11899362)
:eek: Get an insulation boot on that +ve terminal before there's a major mishap, please!

Nothing ever in the boot to have an mishap with,

Those kind of accidents help kill off stupidity anyhow. :thumb: