ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Amazon Echo (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1043247-amazon-echo.html)

Turbohot 06 November 2016 10:23 PM

Amazon Echo

Feedback, anyone?

Just interested in it as a Christmas gift idea. I want to know if it is just a gadget for the lazy, some kitchen king/queen, or do you reckon it's worth more than that?

Many thanks in advance to anyone experienced with this gizmo.

dpb 06 November 2016 10:56 PM

150 quid to talk somebody with no personality!

I suppose if you've got no other music speaker

Turbohot 07 November 2016 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11892102)
[b]150 quid to talk somebody with no personality![\b]

I suppose if you've got no other music speaker

Thats the thing. I'm wondering if there's more to it than just that. Everyone has speakers, kitchen timers and iPods/iPhones with their music in. This devise is only worth it if it's any more than that. I agree that 150 quid is 150 quid!

I doubt that the speaker function to it is anything fantastic.

Anyway, let's see if anyone here has one. They can tell if it's any good.

neil-h 07 November 2016 08:32 AM

Really comes down to what you're wanting from the device. For the same price (well near as dammit) you could have a Sonos Play:1 which'll do everything except the scintillating conversation.

dpb 07 November 2016 08:56 AM

If you don't have connected smart items ( heating, etc) it seems like function is really pretty limited .

JDM_Stig 07 November 2016 09:53 AM

it would be perfect for someone with limited visibility, it seems like it just says what would be on a page of Google.

Turbohot 07 November 2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11892181)
it would be perfect for someone with limited visibility, it seems like it just says what would be on a page of Google.

HAHA, very funny!

What Google says is one thing, SN people's personal experience of having one is another.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread, do one. :thumb:

matt-c 07 November 2016 12:19 PM

I've an Echo Dot, cheaper as it does not have a high quality speaker.

It's got it's uses, but it's more of a curiosity as this point.

I use it to control heating and lights, and support for Sonos is coming which will be cool.

dpb 07 November 2016 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11892239)
HAHA, very funny!

What Google says is one thing, SN people's personal experience of having one is another.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread, do one. :thumb:

Is he being funny , I doubt it

if you don't want have a computer then this will do instead presumably

Turbohot 07 November 2016 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11892267)
Is he being funny , I doubt it

if you don't want have a computer then this will do instead presumably

I know. Let's move on, though.

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 11892264)
I've an Echo Dot, cheaper as it does not have a high quality speaker.

It's got it's uses, but it's more of a curiosity as this point.

I use it to control heating and lights, and support for Sonos is coming which will be cool.

This is helpful. If it can 'effectively' be used to control heating and lighting, then that's an added benefit. Your feedback certainly adds more value to this curio gadget. Thanks you, Matt. :thumb:

DaveMK39 07 November 2016 07:40 PM

is it always listening, waiting for "hello alexa"? if so how do you know amzn are not logging every conversation within range?

Turbohot 07 November 2016 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by DaveMK39 (Post 11892438)
is it always listening, waiting for "hello alexa"? if so how do you know amzn are not logging every conversation within range?

Good point, Dave. With technology pushing the limits, we don't know whether these gadgets can be (mis)used or are being (mis)used. I have just heard that the two prisoners that have escaped from some prison might have used drones to access the diamond cutting equipment. They even managed to get two mannequins in. I don't know how they did that. Latter sounds like an inside job, but the former is being suspected as a drone assisted business.

Back to the Amazon Echo, yes, such technology may be amusing and convenience enhancing, yet it begs the questions like the one you raise.

DaveMK39 07 November 2016 08:11 PM

i remember the same being asked about the xbox one kinect, always listening plus its got the camera.

Littleted 09 November 2016 11:00 AM

i think a waste of a good xmas presie , wife asked me what i wanted and ill be honest I'm struggling this year..

Shortlist is
Sonus Play 3 or 5
BlueSound Streamer
PS4 pro

None of which get me salivating.....

I have Siri who i dont use.
My mate has Echo and he was arguing with his wife and Echo added prunes and strawberries to his order LOL

urban 14 December 2016 08:40 AM

I just purchased and amazon dot, plus a couple of tp link wifi smart plugs.
Time will tell if this was a good or bad idea

dpb 14 December 2016 09:17 AM

i can see applications for people with limited mobility

Spoon 14 December 2016 01:14 PM

Lots of uses here and adding all the time. Whether or not you find them useful or remotely interesting is another matter.

JackClark 14 December 2016 01:21 PM

I love IFTTT

hodgy0_2 14 December 2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11892102)
150 quid to talk somebody with no personality!

agreed when you can do that on SN for free

Spoon 14 December 2016 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11903360)
I love IFTTT

There you go then, Jack. Click

JackClark 14 December 2016 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 11903410)
There you go then, Jack. Click

All over it. It's the only way to get some compatibility with Siri, but it sucks. I use it with great effect on a website to pull instagram photos and make Wordpress posts, works a treat for a client who wanted a blog without blogging.

Spoon 14 December 2016 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11903442)
All over it. It's the only way to get some compatibility with Siri, but it sucks. I use it with great effect on a website to pull instagram photos and make Wordpress posts, works a treat for a client who wanted a blog without blogging.

I fear Apple have missed the boat where standalone voice activated "Pringle Tins" are concerned. Microsoft's is out in 2017. However, as I'm a security first kind of guy I have Siri activating all my automation and not a single command over the internet to prevent someone else controlling it. Too many of these internet enabled devices are completely void of any real security as has been proven many times.

JackClark 14 December 2016 05:29 PM

Very true.

urban 15 December 2016 07:44 AM

The Amazon dot is seriously small - must say I was surprised.
Bonus - I purchased it at £49.99, got an email from Amazon offering it at £44.99, so quick email later and they refunded me £5.

Turbohot 15 December 2016 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11903395)
agreed when you can do that on SN for free

:lol:

By the read of the progression of this thread, Amazon Echo doesn't seem all that useless, then. I may just buy the dot version for fun for my own house. I love technology. :cool: It's only 50-60 quid, so it won't break my bank, would it. I just don't want it to be like that Furby toy that my kid had, when she was younger. God, that stupid interactive garbage drove us mad!

JackClark 15 December 2016 02:19 PM

Get the big one they sound surprisingly good.

Turbohot 15 December 2016 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11903639)
Get the big one they sound surprisingly good.

Oh, cool! Thanks for the advice, Jack.

dpb 15 December 2016 06:45 PM

3x as good?

dpb 15 December 2016 07:29 PM

just missed out for 21 quid each :(

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amaz...-world-2577370

urban 15 December 2016 10:08 PM

Dot all setup with two tp link smart plugs
Fantastic setup, really pleased