ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   breakdown cover recommendation (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1043071-breakdown-cover-recommendation.html)

bro82 31 October 2016 01:21 PM

breakdown cover recommendation

hi, can anyone recommend some good breakdown cover, all of them from the bank are offer just towing to the closest garage or up to 50 miles or so which is not an option, also big companies like AA or RAC want too much for their service, any alternatives? thanks

DaveMK39 31 October 2016 05:24 PM

compare the meerkat. can get nationwide personal cover for less than £50

Greenslade 31 October 2016 05:35 PM

Been with the AA for yeeeeeeeers.

I haggle with them every year, threaten to leave and they do me a blinding deal. They manage this by throwing Relay in for free. So circa £81 for Joint Membership (with the wife), Roadside/Relay.

Paben 31 October 2016 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bro82 (Post 11889859)
hi, can anyone recommend some good breakdown cover, all of them from the bank are offer just towing to the closest garage or up to 50 miles or so which is not an option, also big companies like AA or RAC want too much for their service, any alternatives? thanks

RAC or AA are expensive because they provide the best service. I went cheap with Green Flag until I broke down on the M4. I told them the car was low and wouldn't go on the usual truck. Inevitably the first that showed up was hopeless as was the second. 4 hours after I broke down a sensible truck arrived but the driver told me as I only had 10 mile recovery (compete rubbish by the way) I would have to pay £120 to get the car home. Lesson learned and RAC ever since, covering all cars for less than Green Flag would have charged for the same service.

harry007 31 October 2016 06:06 PM

churchill insurance providing free one year break down cover at the moment.

JDM_Stig 31 October 2016 06:29 PM

RAC or AA but use Quidco or the like, saves a good few quid.

hth

Matty81 31 October 2016 09:11 PM

I'm with greenflag and they are good

bro82 31 October 2016 11:52 PM

thanks, I'll have a look on the ones above, so far I read many positive rewievs about start rescue, I'm not sure if they're using own units or using other companies but so far the best quote i got was about 60 quid for two cars.

Greenslade 31 October 2016 11:56 PM

With the AA (and probably the RAC too), you're the member, not the car. So your covered on any number of vehicles, even if you're in somebody else's car.

Jonny Park 01 November 2016 02:47 AM

Britannia rescue for me,very good vfm.

ditchmyster 01 November 2016 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Greenslade (Post 11890158)
With the AA (and probably the RAC too), you're the member, not the car. So your covered on any number of vehicles, even if you're in somebody else's car.

Not anymore, they ask for the reg now and age etc and only cover that car.

Which ever you go for make sure you read the small print FIRST, because much like any insurance type cover they will use any and every trick in the book to get out of giving you what you thought you paid for. ;)

mike74 01 November 2016 08:46 AM

Top tip to get free home start cover (which usually costs extra)... use a friends or relatives address as your 'home' address:thumb:

(Just make sure it's a certain distance away from your real home address)

Greenslade 01 November 2016 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11890176)
Not anymore, they ask for the reg now and age etc and only cover that car

Not with the AA.

They've even just given me membership cards for my kids lol,......so that THEY get cover in their friends parents cars etc :thumb:

jaygsi 01 November 2016 12:57 PM

RAC had it with the bank for years but there upping the price now so going private, try cash back websites you can get loads of money back don't bother ringing them.

Paben 01 November 2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11890176)
Not anymore, they ask for the reg now and age etc and only cover that car.

Which ever you go for make sure you read the small print FIRST, because much like any insurance type cover they will use any and every trick in the book to get out of giving you what you thought you paid for. ;)

My wife and I are with the RAC and all cars are covered as they insure the member not the car.

toby69 01 November 2016 02:32 PM

Been with the AA or many many years and really can't fault them. Although they seem quite expensive we have a joint membership and the amount of times we have used them whether it be in the car, motorbike, or my work van it is very little to pay for the service we have received.
We have had to wait longer than their initial estimated call out time ( due to needing a flat bed rather than roads side repair ) but they have always kept us updated with progress.

peter zippy reid 01 November 2016 02:33 PM

Rac here and they only asl for main car reg but im covered in any car aswell

Greenslade 01 November 2016 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by toby69 (Post 11890358)
Been with the AA or many many years and really can't fault them. Although they seem quite expensive we have a joint membership and the amount of times we have used them whether it be in the car, motorbike, or my work van it is very little to pay for the service we have received.
We have had to wait longer than their initial estimated call out time ( due to needing a flat bed rather than roads side repair ) but they have always kept us updated with progress.

Tell them the maximum you're willing to pay, and they pretty much do that.

They send you an annual bill, for what they THINK they can get away with charging you. Don't let them,...many do ;)

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 01 November 2016 09:41 PM

Hi,
Please feel free to take a look at our breakdown offering if you like.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/
Regards,
Dan.

ronjeramy 02 November 2016 09:33 AM

Check with you bank i have it with an add on to my account for about £10 per month, it has phone insurance and holiday insurance as well as other stuff

jaygsi 02 November 2016 01:33 PM

Those prices will be going up soon.

bro82 09 November 2016 11:27 PM

thanks for all replys, I've asked my bank but they only offer basic cover which include only towing to the nearest garage and can't upgrade to the national recovery, I think I'll go for RAC as they're cheaper than AA but offer same cover.

hedgecutter 10 November 2016 11:28 AM

No one has mentioned ADAC, the German AA; if you want to travel in Europe, it`s a no brainer. Last year, europe wide, any car you travel in, me and Mrs, cost £120. If you break down in the uk, the AA cover it. Obviously, you need to phone Germany, and if you wish to cancel after a year, you MUST give 2 months notice .
RAC and AA equivalent cover was over £ 400 that I could find.