ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Nissan confirms new investment in UK (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1042978-nissan-confirms-new-investment-in-uk.html)

Paben 27 October 2016 11:20 AM

Nissan confirms new investment in UK

Probably to the disappointment of the 'Britain's had it" brigade Nissan has just confirmed it's Cashqai will be built in the UK

jayallen 27 October 2016 11:25 AM

It's already built in the UK and that's the problem!

Paben 27 October 2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11888377)
It's already built in the UK and that's the problem!

What problem would that be then? There were serious concerns that Nissan would take the production of the new Cashqai and X Trail elsewhere in the world with the loss of 11,000 jobs. That has not happened, they are re-investing and I for one will celebrate the fact. As usual the doom and gloom merchants on here will talk it down until it looks like a disaster.

jayallen 27 October 2016 11:53 AM

Build quality is the problem with many documented cases. If I'd of done my homework instead of being blinded by the dealerships lights id never of bought my wife a 2016 Qashqai back in June.

EmzWRX 27 October 2016 12:03 PM

I've got a 2016 Qashqui and have to say I love it, glad it's staying in the UK:thumb:

^Qwerty^ 27 October 2016 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by EmzWRX (Post 11888389)
I've got a 2016 Qashqui and have to say I love it, glad it's staying in the UK:thumb:

Got one as well - far more reliable than the last six or seven VAG cars I've had.

dpb 27 October 2016 01:25 PM

Well , I wonder how much Theresa handed over for this to take place

jayallen 27 October 2016 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^ (Post 11888404)
Got one as well - far more reliable than the last six or seven VAG cars I've had.

What engine and model did you opt for?

Paben 27 October 2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11888408)

Here we go as usual

jayallen 27 October 2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^ (Post 11888404)

EmzWRX 27 October 2016 01:43 PM

I have the 1.5DCI Tenka :thumb:

alcazar 27 October 2016 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11888408)

LOL, give it a rest...admit you were wrong and move on.

JTaylor 27 October 2016 04:29 PM

Good news.

dpb 27 October 2016 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11888449)
LOL, give it a rest...admit you were wrong and move on.

Everybody is tight lipped , along with just what the hell our brexit terms might or might not be

JackClark 27 October 2016 05:22 PM

"The support and assurances of the UK government enabled us to decide that the next-generation Qashqai and X-Trail will be produced at Sunderland," said Carlos Ghosn, Nissan's chief executive, saying he welcomed Prime Minister Theresa May's "commitment to the automotive industry in Britain".

Last month, he had warned that Nissan might not invest in the Sunderland plant unless the government guaranteed compensation for costs related to any new trade tariffs resulting from Brexit.

Nothing to see here.

hodgy0_2 27 October 2016 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11888476)
"The support and assurances of the UK government enabled us to decide that the next-generation Qashqai and X-Trail will be produced at Sunderland," said Carlos Ghosn, Nissan's chief executive, saying he welcomed Prime Minister Theresa May's "commitment to the automotive industry in Britain".

Last month, he had warned that Nissan might not invest in the Sunderland plant unless the government guaranteed compensation for costs related to any new trade tariffs resulting from Brexit.

Nothing to see here.

the level of denial is quite extraordinary

they will give similar assurances to the City too - thank god (sorry JT)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 27 October 2016 07:02 PM

Sticky Micky will be pleased

1509joe 27 October 2016 07:40 PM

Wouldn't be so bad if it was a Nissan but its 90% Renault. Built with recycled steel from China and plagued with French electrical gremlins. No wonder Nissan wouldn't let the Skyline marque (name) be used on the R35 GTR which isn't a Skyline https://www.scoobynet.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

johned 27 October 2016 09:44 PM

Nissan a french company just like mitsubishi so where is britain in all of this and of course there is toyota so what was the world wars all about and the loss of lives and now britain in my opinion is at the mercy of all other countries as we have more or less closed most of our industries.

neil-h 28 October 2016 08:42 AM

Yeah Mitsubishi and Nissan are still fundamentally Japanese companies.

As for British industry, there's an episode of James Mays cars of the people which I think covers it pretty well. Ultimately post WW2 we carried on as we were before where as the likes of Japan/Germany had to rebuild there industries from scratch and rebuilt them better.

alcazar 28 October 2016 11:43 AM

Plus, we in the UK have a habit of telling the customer what they should want, not building what they actually want.

On-the-bog 28 October 2016 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11888762)
Plus, we in the UK have a habit of telling the customer what they should want, not building what they actually want.

Sounds like subaru UK marketing that.

Go to order a new car and they can only sell you whats sat in a warehouse.

dpb 28 October 2016 01:19 PM

The French have told people what should buy, that's why the place is full of Renault And dacia

Geezer 29 October 2016 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11888376)
Probably to the disappointment of the 'Britain's had it" brigade Nissan has just confirmed it's Cashqai will be built in the UK

The Qashqai is already built here. What Nissan have said is that they will build the new model here. That isn't a great surprise as I imagine that has been in the pipeline for some time and a manufacturer cannot put its plans on hold waiting for a referendum (which they probably expected to go for Remain).

They also have two years of production until we leave, so that is also an easy decision for them. Add to that assurances from the government that they will effectively compensate them for any loss due to Brexit, and it's not that great a deal.

If it turns out that even with comp, or that the govt stops paying it, that it is hurting them financially, then you can bet that Nissan will take their manufacturing elsewhere, which means less jobs, and to cap it all, more expensive Qashqais for the UK as we have to import them from the EU! It's lose lose!

Who else will the govt have to compensate to stop them from leaving? Where are they going to get the money for all these?

Why are so many Brexiteers so economically inept?

^Qwerty^ 30 October 2016 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11888410)

Got the 2.0 diesel, ntec model. I didn't fancy the 1.5 as I have to do a few long journeys with possible towing of a light load.