ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Dial cluster (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/1042926-dial-cluster.html)

TurboBob1 24 October 2016 05:49 PM

Dial cluster

Hi guys.

I have a mate who has a classic impreza sport but has had the turbo 2000 speedo cluster but hasn't worked since he has owned it which isn't long to be fair. Can anyone offer any insight as to whether these can be wired in and if so are they plug and play (which I don't think as the previous owner would of plugged them in surely) or if they have to be individually soldered on or if there's an adaptor harness. If it is a case of soldering where would I find the information to wire an NA with turbo dials. Sorry for the question my mate is an idiot and won't just buy the normal cluster as it's boring. Thanks guys.

TurboBob1 25 October 2016 10:25 AM

Any of you amazing Scooby wizards able to help please

NOSSY_89 25 October 2016 12:33 PM

Hi mate I thought it was a direct swap. Check to see if they are connected it might be the connector block has dislodged. If that is all fine then next check the cluster is working.

TurboBob1 25 October 2016 12:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. I haven't actually looked at it yet it's just what he has said to me will be poping it to me at the weekend to check out just want to see if anyone knew before I got there. Thanks again mate will keep u posted

mickywrx 25 October 2016 07:02 PM

What year is your mates sport, and what year are the replacment clocks from?

If he's fitting facelift clocks in a pre-facelift, it's not that straight forward as IIRC the speedo isn't cable driven on a facelift car.

TurboBob1 26 October 2016 07:25 AM

Right I spoke with him last night and he said it had an engine swap from what the previous owner told him so I got him to open the bonnet and check on the left hand side of the gearbox and to see if he could see like a springy kind of cable (he's a bit simple lol) and low and behold there it was he took a photo and from what I can see its disconnected but definitely not electronic so there the problem. On the dash the only things working fuel gauge the lights all light up fine but temp speedo and rpm don't work and well this would probably be why. What a donut

TurboBob1 26 October 2016 02:36 PM

Also I suppose this is the question to ask now... Is there a converter for analog to digital or does he have to find the old school clocks cables ect?

NOSSY_89 26 October 2016 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by TurboBob1 (Post 11888069)
Right I spoke with him last night and he said it had an engine swap from what the previous owner told him so I got him to open the bonnet and check on the left hand side of the gearbox and to see if he could see like a springy kind of cable (he's a bit simple lol) and low and behold there it was he took a photo and from what I can see its disconnected but definitely not electronic so there the problem. On the dash the only things working fuel gauge the lights all light up fine but temp speedo and rpm don't work and well this would probably be why. What a donut

That spring thing you are talking about I'm sure the cars with the electronic cluster also have them. Easiest way to tell is if the dash has a compartment at the top or gauge pod. It would be in the centre.

Funny thing is you said that some of it works. But if it was the analogue wiring then I'm sure the electronic cluster wouldn't work at all.

It could be a faulty cluster or some of the sensors might not be plugged in but then again I don't know the wiring that well lol.

TurboBob1 26 October 2016 08:30 PM

The suspense was killing me so I drove over after work to see him. His car is a v reg sport which is face-lift. And from what I can tell it has had a pre face-lift gearbox put in. I'm not sure but pretty convinced his engine is from a preface too.

mickywrx 29 October 2016 07:40 PM

Go and take some pictures. There's a code on the bell housing of the gearbox above the starter motor.

Also pics of the clocks fitted and what he wants to fit. Also engine pic.

JDM_Stig 29 October 2016 07:56 PM

When a facelift box was fitted to my pre facelift classic it was just a simple job and swapping the speedo drive from old to new box.

TurboBob1 02 November 2016 08:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 21702

Attachment 21703

Attachment 21704

Attachment 21705

Attachment 21706

TurboBob1 02 November 2016 08:43 PM

These are the photos I got from the weekend. Wasn't sure which number you was on about so took a photo of all numbers I could see. Do you think there's a way of getting these dials hooked up properly. Thanks in advance guys

NOSSY_89 02 November 2016 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11889326)
When a facelift box was fitted to my pre facelift classic it was just a simple job and swapping the speedo drive from old to new box.

From what I can tell looks like the engine is from an earlier classic. But even so if the car was fitted with the electronic clusters the new cluster you have put in should work.

As far as I know you won't need to do any conversion because some time ago I'm sure I saw a discussion where guys were trying to swap an analogue cluster to the digital ones. The only way to do it was change the wiring loom in the car which really isn't worth it unless you are going back to bare shell.

But as mentioned it could be the speedo drive but I don't know much about these. If that doesn't work then its probably the cluster.