ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Samsung scraps the Note 7 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1042559-samsung-scraps-the-note-7-a.html)

JackClark 11 October 2016 12:33 PM

Samsung scraps the Note 7

This deserves it's own thread.

Stock price is down another 8%, probably a good time to buy, but risky as this is far from over, if I had any Samsung phone I wouldn't charge it unattended.

So much for it being a problem with a particular battery manufacturer.

dpb 11 October 2016 12:37 PM

Bit a shame really . As I understand it the earlier Notes were well worth having

JackClark 11 October 2016 12:46 PM

No doubt about it, but they pushed off the shelf batteries too far and this is the result.

They should have concentrated on making their devices more efficient rather than just throwing bigger batteries in there with flakey charging technology, again off the shelf rather than in house innovation.

An0n0m0us 11 October 2016 02:10 PM

My Note 4 is still going brilliantly after 2 years and never had an issue with it charging. As battery life was tiring as it's just got to 2 years old as it will in any phone from 18 months onwards I bought a replacement Anker battery which has been great. One of the main reasons I buy Samsung is so I can easily and cheaply replace an ageing battery and not be forced to buy another phone or pay some 3rd party back street shop to rip my phone open to put some dodgy cheap Chinese replacement in and glue the phone back together.

They royally fcuked up with the Note 7 plus they got greedy and charged way too much for it. The Note 5 was a mistake by dropping the removable battery and SD card slot and not bringing it to the UK so the Note 4 is still the best Note model they have produced in my opinion and at 2 years old it still holds it own on spec/performance.

dpb 11 October 2016 02:53 PM

Hundred lines , using good ole pen and paper :lol1:

Galifrey 11 October 2016 05:32 PM

Still using my flawless note 4 and now sim only :D

bustaMOVEs 11 October 2016 07:43 PM

Too much technology squeezed into the small batteries, even the replacement ones still had issues.

JackClark 11 October 2016 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11883648)
Too much technology squeezed into the small batteries, even the replacement ones still had issues.

Not enough technology more like, pushing old tech beyond its capabilities. Certain users here keep asking why Apple don't use fast charging, here's your answer.

The Joshua Tree 11 October 2016 09:27 PM

Their can't have been enough in depth testing done before it's release because with all the asian boffins they have out there you'd have thought at least one of them would have spotted a potential issue, or if not spotting one then rigorous testing would surely have brought it too light.

The culture out that way is to rush and get everything to market first, maybe this time they rushed too quickly.

What i wouldn't mind knowing is how are all these Galaxy Note 7's going to be returned and collected, what courier company would want them in the back of their van or having thousands of them in one of their sorting hubs, it sounds like they are like a ticking time bomb.

ccsimpreza 11 October 2016 09:31 PM

Can you imagine the Android fanboys if this were happening to an iPhone. Jesus wept.

An0n0m0us 11 October 2016 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11883659)
Not enough technology more like, pushing old tech beyond its capabilities. Certain users here keep asking why Apple don't use fast charging, here's your answer.

Fast charging is on the Note 4 and is fantastic and no issues with it.

An0n0m0us 11 October 2016 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Galifrey (Post 11883614)
Still using my flawless note 4 and now sim only :D

I'm sim only too now the 2 year contract is finished, Life Mobile £1 a month for 4000 minutes 4000 texts and 4gb data :D Was a glitch put up on HUKD that to Life Mobile's credit they honoured to those who signed up before the webpage was pulled.

JackClark 12 October 2016 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree (Post 11883706)
Their can't have been enough in depth testing done before it's release because with all the asian boffins they have out there you'd have thought at least one of them would have spotted a potential issue, or if not spotting one then rigorous testing would surely have brought it too light.

The culture out that way is to rush and get everything to market first, maybe this time they rushed too quickly.

What i wouldn't mind knowing is how are all these Galaxy Note 7's going to be returned and collected, what courier company would want them in the back of their van or having thousands of them in one of their sorting hubs, it sounds like they are like a ticking time bomb.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...-mail-service/

jonc 12 October 2016 11:10 AM

I reckon on those Note 7's that are still functioning with no battery issues, will go up in value as a collectors piece. :lol1:

Jay Cartay 12 October 2016 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11883713)
Fast charging is on the Note 4 and is fantastic and no issues with it.

Fast charging is absolutely fine on my S6 Edge+ also and my wife's S7 Edge.

I'm quite gutted about the Note 7 to be honest. It was going to be my next phone as a long time fan of the Note series. Not sure what I'll get next now. I have an iPhone 6 as my business phone and will likely upgrade that to a 7 at some point but if I were stuck with just one phone there is absolutely no way I'd have the iPhone over Samsung's best.

The Joshua Tree 12 October 2016 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11883804)

Royal Mail and Parcel Force have banned the transportation of Note 7's

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/10/12/...h-its-network/

Steve001 13 October 2016 10:33 AM

Royal mail have taken delivery of new fleet of vehicles in wake of Samsung Note 7 returns fiasco :)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...6d0f192f17.png

joz8968 13 October 2016 12:50 PM

:lol1:

toffee_pie 13 October 2016 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11883524)
Bit a shame really . As I understand it the earlier Notes were well worth having

I had a Note 5 and it was amazing, Samsung made a total balls up not releasing the product in Europe. What were they thinking.

The tech in the S7 Edge is very similar to the Note 7 and this does not need a fire extinguisher in close proximity, it also has a larger battery. They made a serious cock up in this Note 7 and probably released it too soon without enough QC checks.

It would have no doubt been a top seller but Samsung will just move on. Being a flagship model and because it was so popular every incident was going to get flagged up, The 'safe' Note 7 that went up in smoke on the plane in the USA was probably the last straw. In this day of twitter and social media there is no escape.

Lots of companies had battery incidents in recent years (Boeing, HP, Sony to name but a few) its not pleasant but withdrawing the product to limit further damage to the brand or libel was the best thing they could do for now.

Besides, Apple have had incidents too..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6853601.html

toffee_pie 13 October 2016 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11883527)
No doubt about it, but they pushed off the shelf batteries too far and this is the result.

They should have concentrated on making their devices more efficient rather than just throwing bigger batteries in there with flakey charging technology, again off the shelf rather than in house innovation.

Ironic, The iPhone 7 has terrible efficiency, considering it needs to be frequently charged.

The 'flakey' Charge technolgy is also used in the S7 Edge, S7, Note 5, and loads of more androids. This is clearly out of your depth and something you dont understand without resorting to Google.

If you were torturing Jack he would not say something bad about Apple...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...a5c1e88dc1.jpg

toffee_pie 13 October 2016 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11883659)

Jack talking BS as usual.

Almost all the high end Androids use the same fast charge tech, and old models also going back to the Note 4. They also use large batteries so its not just fast charge technology that has caused this.

Apple dont use fast charge due to a few main reasons, the lightning port does not support the Qualcomm technology, and neither do the A series of CPUs.

Not because they dont want it.

JackClark 13 October 2016 09:30 PM

Why do you have to make every thread about Apple? It's odd.

neil-h 13 October 2016 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11884272)

I think it's love tbh, he posts pretty much exclusively in this section to bash Apple. Maybe he feels he's been wronged by them at some point and has decided (bizarrely) that this is the best place to vent his frustration that Apple don't live him back.

toffee_pie 13 October 2016 10:48 PM

Just to clarify inaccurate statements from you, is all.

neil-h 14 October 2016 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11884285)
Just to clarify inaccurate statements from you, is all.

Well this is going to turn into a circular argument very rapidly. :lol1:

bioforger 14 October 2016 02:32 PM

lol the irony and hypocrisy every one of your posts is about apple except for the vaping thread!

JackClark 14 October 2016 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11884387)
lol the irony and hypocrisy every one of your posts is about apple except for the vaping thread!

Well yeah, but I don't go to a thread about Android and start saying Apple is ****.

bioforger 14 October 2016 03:27 PM

No you just start one about Android devices instead with loads of misinformation to troll.

JackClark 14 October 2016 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11884402)
No you just start one about Android devices instead with loads of misinformation to troll.

You mean like you stating it's only batteries from one factory and the rest are fine?

bioforger 14 October 2016 04:47 PM

I didn't state or say that, i said it was a battery manufacturing issue, not a technical defect or as a result of quick charging like you said, which is utter rubbish.