ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Brembo caliper refurb not gone to plan (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1042415-brembo-caliper-refurb-not-gone-to-plan.html)

gary77 03 December 2016 11:26 AM

Makes sense but if they were so bad there is a very noticable difference in peddle feel. Would there not be other issues while driving .

TECHNOPUG 03 December 2016 05:20 PM

That will only have a momentary effect whilst it centres the discs. OP says peddle drops to the floor - that's an hydraulic failure. There is either air in the system or more likely a fluid leak. You push the peddle and the system pressurises. If the peddle is then dropping, the pressure has been lost. It's a closed system, so either the fluid is escaping somewhere causing the pressure to drop or there is still air in the system.

Whit80 03 December 2016 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11900351)
That will only have a momentary effect whilst it centres the discs. OP says peddle drops to the floor - that's an hydraulic failure. There is either air in the system or more likely a fluid leak. You push the peddle and the system pressurises. If the peddle is then dropping, the pressure has been lost. It's a closed system, so either the fluid is escaping somewhere causing the pressure to drop or there is still air in the system.

I agree totally.....
This is definately a strange one, i will say the pedal doesnt drop completely to the floor, just more than your average press, again only when on full lock.
I definately have no leaks, i would also like to think no air was in the system having been bled so many times

More of an update.....
ive got both hubs off today, they were slightly noisey/rough but no play what so ever, and spun quite well ! Hub nut was tight on also prior to removal..

Whit80 03 December 2016 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by gary77 (Post 11900266)
Makes sense but if they were so bad there is a very noticable difference in peddle feel. Would there not be other issues while driving .

I do get a binding/humming noise on occasion when on a longish run, say over 20miles
Its definately nearside, just couldnt pin point front or rear.

JDM_Stig 03 December 2016 07:05 PM

find a 32mm socket and see if any of the large hub nuts tighten up any,
start on the front N/S.

Whit80 03 December 2016 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11900371)
find a 32mm socket and see if any of the large hub nuts tighten up any,
start on the front N/S.

Not touched the back yet , but both front hub nuts were tight to say the least! Breaker bar + 5 ft cheater extension

TECHNOPUG 03 December 2016 07:17 PM

Are the brake lines twisting during full lock and stopping the fluid to the calipers?

Whit80 04 December 2016 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11900379)
Are the brake lines twisting during full lock and stopping the fluid to the calipers?

Not thought of that...i did install new hel braided lines, ill check what happens lock to lock while the car is on stands...

Whit80 20 January 2017 08:50 PM

Just to update this thread.
Fitted new front wheel bearings, ball joints etc pedal no longer drops when on full lock.
The pedal is now at a point where it drops slightly /mushy on first press, solid on second press...So air still in system somewhere.
I may end up changing MC next along with new end brake lines and fittings for the rear (fronts are in excellent shape)
Any thoughts?

Whit80 20 January 2017 08:53 PM

On a side note, is their a procedure for purging ABS?

TECHNOPUG 21 January 2017 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Whit80 (Post 11912320)
On a side note, is their a procedure for purging ABS?

Change fluid/bleed brakes. Go for a drive and engage ABS - find some loose gravel or such to brake on. Re-bleed brakes.

Whit80 21 January 2017 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG (Post 11912410)
Change fluid/bleed brakes. Go for a drive and engage ABS - find some loose gravel or such to brake on. Re-bleed brakes.

Ok thanks. Ive just come across this on Toronto Subaru
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...oJ2lNTvJ5NMT4A

Particulary this section

Commanding Sequence Control Without the Select Monitor

You can also command Sequence Control
without the Select Monitor. To do this,
with the ignition switch “Off,” ground terminals
3 and 6 of the diagnosis connector,
using the connector’s grounding wires.

Turn the ignition switch “On” and, within a
half second after the ABS warning light
goes off, depress the brake pedal and hold