ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Fuel Filler Question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1042149-fuel-filler-question.html)

hodgy0_2 26 September 2016 08:40 PM

Fuel Filler Question

can someone clear this up

according to my own observation most cars have the fuel filler cap on the opposite side to the steering wheel

It is an obvious safety measure as it means you will be filling up the tank on the pavement side if you run out of fuel whilst driving - not in the middle of the road

so all European cars seem to have filler caps on the right because they are left hand drive - and they don't bother to change the filler when they swap the wheel for the UK market

The Japs, like us drive on the left - so the filler should be on the left - which it seems to be on my Toyota

but Subaru seem to have the filler cap on the right (same side as the steering wheel)

why would that be? anyone have an idea

The Trooper 1815 26 September 2016 10:34 PM

There is no logic or reason.

Paben 27 September 2016 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11879565)
can someone clear this up

according to my own observation most cars have the fuel filler cap on the opposite side to the steering wheel

It is an obvious safety measure as it means you will be filling up the tank on the pavement side if you run out of fuel whilst driving - not in the middle of the road

so all European cars seem to have filler caps on the right because they are left hand drive - and they don't bother to change the filler when they swap the wheel for the UK market

The Japs, like us drive on the left - so the filler should be on the left - which it seems to be on my Toyota

but Subaru seem to have the filler cap on the right (same side as the steering wheel)

why would that be? anyone have an idea

Perhaps Subaru thinks that anyone running out of petrol deserves to be run over?
Seriously, it's not an issue is it?

hodgy0_2 27 September 2016 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11879613)
There is no logic or reason.

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11879634)
Perhaps Subaru thinks that anyone running out of petrol deserves to be run over?
Seriously, it's not an issue is it?

no not a problem at all, I suppose the reasons to have the filler on the opposite side to the steering wheel means that filling at the side of the road is inherently safer

and that's why I assumed manufacturers did it - as it seemed on my bag of a fag packet analysis that this was the case

and why I stated it in another forum - only to be told that Subaru (at least) don't follow the rule

I checked and its true

just wondered if there was a reason

The Trooper 1815 27 September 2016 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11879636)
no not a problem at all, I suppose the reasons to have the filler on the opposite side to the steering wheel means that filling at the side of the road is inherently safer

and that's why I assumed manufacturers did it - as it seemed on my bag of a fag packet analysis that this was the case

and why I stated it in another forum - only to be told that Subaru (at least) don't follow the rule

I checked and its true

just wondered if there was a reason

Have a look which side the exhaust pipe is on compared to the fuel filler. Fuel, leaks onto hot exhaust etc etc.

Now the fact that some have twin rear pipes or even central will de bunk that theory but there is a logic.

Gambit 27 September 2016 08:43 AM

The steering wheel thing is bollox. Mitsi and holden are another that dont meet your safety theory

hodgy0_2 27 September 2016 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 11879643)
The steering wheel thing is bollox.

mmm, i beginning to think that too

legb4rsk 27 September 2016 11:38 AM

If the fuel filler is on the opposite side it could be that it is easier to get out of the the car as the drivers door will not be up against the fuel pump.

Just a thought.

hodgy0_2 27 September 2016 12:24 PM

yeah, other reasons I have heard for one side or the other is that collisions are more likely one side etc etc

but it looks lie there does not seem to be a universal overarching reason

but all the European manufactures seem to have the filler cap on the right

Paben 27 September 2016 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11879683)
If the fuel filler is on the opposite side it could be that it is easier to get out of the the car as the drivers door will not be up against the fuel pump.

Just a thought.

Surely only a total pillock would stop so close to the pump that he couldn't get out of the car! :lol1:

Paben 27 September 2016 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11879692)
yeah, other reasons I have heard for one side or the other is that collisions are more likely one side etc etc

but it looks lie there does not seem to be a universal overarching reason

but all the European manufactures seem to have the filler cap on the right

The tank is always mounted centrally so which side is hit in a collision should be irrelevant. And plenty of British-built cars have their fillers on the right!

johned 27 September 2016 01:48 PM

Had a few jags and they had a filler on each side.

hodgy0_2 27 September 2016 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11879724)
The tank is always mounted centrally so which side is hit in a collision should be irrelevant. And plenty of British-built cars have their fillers on the right!

good point

what British built cars out of interest

@ Johned - yeah that was pretty cool, My Mini Cooper S has twin tanks

The Trooper 1815 27 September 2016 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11879757)
good point

The new Astra as the filler on the RHS. Built in Ellesmere Port.

Honda Civic as the filler on the LHS. Most are exported built in Swindon.

Paben 27 September 2016 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11879757)
good point

The only ones I know for certain (having owned them or parents did) are Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Triumph Stag; some Rover models, although I think my father's Rover 3500 had its filler mounted on top of the boot. Must be others!

hodgy0_2 27 September 2016 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11879769)
The only ones I know for certain (having owned them or parents did) are Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Triumph Stag; some Rover models, although I think my father's Rover 3500 had its filler mounted on top of the boot. Must be others!

yes - good one

I had a 4.2 LSE too

okay my theory is crap, seems pretty random

legb4rsk 28 September 2016 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11879722)
Surely only a total pillock would stop so close to the pump that he couldn't get out of the car! :lol1:

Yeah!! I would never do that.

Cough............:Suspiciou

:D