ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What does Type UK mean? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1041939-what-does-type-uk-mean.html)

mikey_w50 17 September 2016 02:58 PM

What does Type UK mean?

I'm on the hunt for a blob eye STI. I looked at a 2003 one and a 2004 one. I noted the 2004 has Type UK on the back. What does this actually mean?

I'm a little lost with all the different ones!

ZANY 17 September 2016 03:44 PM

Type uk meaning diluted and watered down version for the United Kingdom :D

ossett2k2 17 September 2016 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11876928)
Type uk meaning diluted and watered down version for the United Kingdom :D

Bro it does have longer gears tho,and it's lighter,AND more aerodynamic,,So will do the quarter mile loads faster :D
Where's RS Matt when you need him? Life ban :wonder:

ZANY 17 September 2016 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11876939)
Bro it does have longer gears tho,and it's lighter,AND more aerodynamic,,So will do the quarter mile loads faster :D
Where's RS Matt when you need him? Life ban :wonder:

Yes aaaai lifetime ban bro :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello: :D:D:D guess he didn't make it back...
Bro the op asking bout sti's don't tell him wrx's have a faster gearbox and are lighter!! He won't see a sti the same ever again you might have just created the next ARSEMATT !! :lol1::lol1::lol1:

TonyBurns 17 September 2016 04:54 PM

Not sure where you get its lighter from :confused: but basically type UK means its for the UK domestic market, put on there by Subaru UK to make you feel more "special" and not see that they ripped you off by not giving you the more superior JDM model ;) :D

ossett2k2 17 September 2016 05:04 PM

Yuuuuuuuup WRX for the win :luxhello:

Smaller spoiler,lighter and less drag,longer gears :)

To be honest mikey,they're all great cars if you find a good example :thumb:

And I think your original question has been answered by zany :thumb:

BoozyDave 17 September 2016 10:12 PM

Why not just answer the OP's question instead of turning the thread into another wrx v sti slagging match.

You all slagged of Matt when he was here, now that he has gone, you are trying to be funny

Type UK means made for the UK. Also called UKDM (UK domestic market), the better spec version is the JDM (Jap domestic market)

Also Type UK STI's aren't classed as 'versions' eg 'V7 STI', only the JDM has 'versions' V7 is bugeye, V8 blobeye and V9 hawkeye :thumb:

ossett2k2 17 September 2016 10:58 PM

Or learn to use the search function for the most basic of questions? :hjtwofing

I miss Matt and his incredibly large cat :(

CharlySkunkWeed 17 September 2016 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11877038)
Why not just answer the OP's question instead of turning the thread into another wrx v sti slagging match.

You all slagged of Matt when he was here, now that he has gone, you are trying to be funny

Type UK means made for the UK. Also called UKDM (UK domestic market), the better spec version is the JDM (Jap domestic market)

Also Type UK STI's aren't classed as 'versions' eg 'V7 STI', only the JDM has 'versions' V7 is bugeye, V8 blobeye and V9 hawkeye :thumb:

Agreed.:thumb:

ossett2k2 17 September 2016 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11877053)
Agreed.:thumb:

Agree with what?
Where in this thread is it a wrx v sti slagging match?

Geeeez bit of friendly banter ffs
Must be time of the month for some members :cuckoo:

ZANY 18 September 2016 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11877057)
Agree with what?
Where in this thread is it a wrx v sti slagging match?

Geeeez bit of friendly banter ffs
Must be time of the month for some members :cuckoo:

:lol1::lol1::lol1: no bro just denial and deluded to accept any1 else's opinion maybe...

JUST FOR THE RECORD "JDM WILL TRIUMPH OVER TYPE UK ANYDAY"

Don Clark 18 September 2016 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mikey_w50 (Post 11876917)
I'm on the hunt for a blob eye STI. I looked at a 2003 one and a 2004 one. I noted the 2004 has Type UK on the back. What does this actually mean?

I'm a little lost with all the different ones!

It is/was used to distinguish Subaru UK cars from other RHD European Domestic Models (EDM) which arrive here as Grey imports or by other means.
It usually signifies that the OPTION PACK spec is UK specific as well.

ALi-B 18 September 2016 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Don Clark (Post 11877079)
It is/was used to distinguish Subaru UK cars from other RHD European Domestic Models (EDM) which arrive here as Grey imports or by other means.
It usually signifies that the OPTION PACK spec is UK specific as well.

Pretty much this. The U.K. Cars were perported to have better warranty cover when new over the EU parallel imports...although both EU imports and UK still had a manufacturers warranty. And they've all expired now so there is now no mechanical difference between a type UK and a EU import, it's just the badge engineering.

Also qualifying for the Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP) was a bit of an issue for some, although many main dealers fitted it to EU imports regardless.

JDM different kettle of fish (Better ;) ).

There is also UK only special editions, like WR1, Uk300, RB320, spec-d which had different colour/trim options and bodywork parts, with the higher output models coming with a PPP as standard.

joz8968 18 September 2016 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
...only the JDM has 'versions' V7 is bugeye, V8 blobeye and V9 hawkeye :thumb:

< awaiting for Tony Burns to (correctly) post up... >

;)

The Pink Ninja 18 September 2016 12:16 PM

Classics are versions
New ages are MY's

But to play the game and be pedantic the hawk is Version 10 as you forgot about the widetrack blob :D

bustaMOVEs 18 September 2016 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11877077)
:lol1::lol1::lol1: no bro just denial and deluded to accept any1 else's opinion maybe...

JUST FOR THE RECORD "JDM WILL TRIUMPH OVER TYPE UK ANYDAY"

Depends if you can drive it in a manor to trump at uk car though, you boys with your show n shine cars rarely see the limits :D

ZANY 18 September 2016 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11877150)
Depends if you can drive it in a manor to trump at uk car though, you boys with your show n shine cars rarely see the limits :D

You'd be surprised :norty:
If I only wanted shines bro I would have bought a Range Rover sport with a budget of £35k but still went for a scoob:luxhello:

If I wanted fast I'd have a skyline gtr not a scoob bro:thumb:

JGlanzaV 18 September 2016 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11877160)
If I only wanted shines bro I would have bought a Range Rover sport with a budget of £35k but still went for a scoob:luxhello:

You've already said you can't drive for toffee in another thread fella ;) I've never been passed by a GTR yet and raced a few down the strip :norty:

bustaMOVEs 18 September 2016 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11877160)

Gtr don't go round corners though, and if r35 then it's basically driving it for you :lol1::thumb:

ZANY 18 September 2016 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11877174)
Gtr don't go round corners though, and if r35 then it's basically driving it for you :lol1::thumb:

I'll agree to disagree with you on this occasion bro it's SUNDAY and I've not had a Datsun for over 14years if not longer last one was a Sylvia zx turbo in a bronze back in day:lol1: :thumb:

JGlanzaV 18 September 2016 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11877176)
I'll agree to disagree with you on this occasion bro it's SUNDAY and I've not had a Datsun for over 14years if not longer last one was a Sylvia zx turbo in a bronze back in day:lol1: :thumb:

I've always fancied a ps13...... it might be a Datsun but they are cool....

The Pink Ninja 18 September 2016 03:46 PM

A VF turbo is enough to whoop a GTR around some cones alright :lol1:

mikey_w50 18 September 2016 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I got the message - basically ignore it, just a badge.

ZANY 19 September 2016 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11877163)
You've already said you can't drive for toffee in another thread fella ;) I've never been passed by a GTR yet and raced a few down the strip :norty:

Ere!!! Batman where have I said on THIS THREAD I CAN OR CANT DRIVE FOR TOFFEE OR I CAN DRIVE FASTER THAN ANY OTHER LUNATIC!! :wonder: :confused::confused::confused:
I certainly CHOSE not to be a FAST RALLY WANNABE driver that is a fact indeed

Just my 20p as its Monday :p

jaygsi 26 September 2016 08:58 PM

Here's a JDM Hawk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-SUBAR...wAAOSw8w1X6TzL