ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   Volkswagen T25 Scooby powered camper (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/1041914-volkswagen-t25-scooby-powered-camper.html)

domino46 16 September 2016 07:18 AM

Volkswagen T25 Scooby powered camper

After messing with the subarus for so long I thought I'd have a change of body but still keep the same engine :thumb:

Very easy as far as engine swaps go really ,, it's got a bell housing conversion to allow the VW box to take the new Subaru engine ,, engine and loom are from a forester turbo , everything done by myself and a friend (thanks mate) on the drive

Only thing was I brought the wrong type of van as it was a air cooled (should of got water cooled) so had to add the full coolant system from front to rear,,, it had no servo assit on the brakes (so added one) and the clutch was a cable one so had to add the full clutch system aswell , but it's all learning

Nearly finished , just a couple of small bits and I should be doing its first start this weekend

Camper it's self is a 4 1/2 berth , two in the pop top and two down stairs and one small person across the cab ,,,all the normal camper stuff plus a flip down tv/DVD and a few other luxurys to keep me happy ,, even has my hatchback Sti drawn onto the table :D

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...7a0ac9b0ba.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...f03ba16ab2.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...4627566b30.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...5de1d6aa87.jpg

All electrics and ecu are under the rear seat so bob can have a sit down and a brew while mapping this one :lol:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...3a4a34b011.jpg

b3nmw 16 September 2016 08:23 PM

Nice work

scoobypaul_temp 16 September 2016 08:28 PM

Love this! Well done bud :thumb:

domino46 17 September 2016 07:15 AM

Cheers guys , I'm very happy with how it's turned out so far

RAGGY DOO 17 September 2016 10:07 AM

That's crazy Dom love it

hedgecutter 17 September 2016 10:27 AM

Love it. Saw Zebravanmans split screen camper on the road in Dorset back in July, sti engined.

zs_phil 17 September 2016 10:29 AM

Bet that surprises a few people
Nice that

domino46 17 September 2016 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 11876858)
Bet that surprises a few people
Nice that

It's not 100% finished yet as I'm just finishing off the last few bits before I do its first start

Then the weak part is the box so iv got to take it a bit easy till I can afford to reverse a Subaru 5 speed :thumb:

domino46 17 September 2016 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO (Post 11876852)
That's crazy Dom love it

Thanks mate

domino46 17 September 2016 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by hedgecutter (Post 11876857)
Love it. Saw Zebravanmans split screen camper on the road in Dorset back in July, sti engined.

Yeah there are quite a few conversions already out there as its not a new thing to do but most tend to go for the NA engine due to cooling issues but I can't see it being to much problem ,, did he go for a charge cooling in the splitty ?

zs_phil 17 September 2016 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11876860)
It's not 100% finished yet as I'm just finishing off the last few bits before I do its first start

Then the weak part is the box so iv got to take it a bit easy till I can afford to reverse a Subaru 5 speed :thumb:

Chop chop then I want to see some videos :norty:

Make sure you get some when you completed it love campers and Scoobys

Looking forward to updates

domino46 17 September 2016 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 11876873)
Chop chop then I want to see some videos :norty:

Make sure you get some when you completed it love campers and Scoobys

Looking forward to updates

As with my Scoobs I'm not sure it will be ever truly finished lol , running gear , then body's being sorted , then the interior will be redone , so think years more than months lol

stiMIGHTYsti 17 September 2016 12:24 PM

Mighty Car Mods

Subaru 2.5 beetle Sleeper!!

ScoobP1 17 September 2016 12:33 PM

Really like this! Well done sir!!

Any more pics of the build including getting the engine in, mounts ,etc?

domino46 17 September 2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobP1 (Post 11876888)
Really like this! Well done sir!!

Any more pics of the build including getting the engine in, mounts ,etc?

I have some more pics of some of the build along the way so I'll post them up later on this evening , don't think iv got any of the engine mount though but can always get one if you want to see it

hedgecutter 17 September 2016 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11876862)
Yeah there are quite a few conversions already out there as its not a new thing to do but most tend to go for the NA engine due to cooling issues but I can't see it being to much problem ,, did he go for a charge cooling in the splitty ?

I think so, fed from the rear side vents; he`s on here as Zebravanman, with some progress reports since 2012. It`s a 63 splitscreen, wrx, not sti.

zs_phil 17 September 2016 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11876878)
As with my Scoobs I'm not sure it will be ever truly finished lol , running gear , then body's being sorted , then the interior will be redone , so think years more than months lol

Thats why I'd love to do something up but no space as of yet
But want a car or camper to work on but truly never finish :lol1:

ScoobP1 17 September 2016 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11876914)
I have some more pics of some of the build along the way so I'll post them up later on this evening , don't think iv got any of the engine mount though but can always get one if you want to see it

Just interested how easily it sat there or if there was any mounting issues or modifications needed.

Great work though, love projects like these.

domino46 18 September 2016 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobP1 (Post 11877044)
Just interested how easily it sat there or if there was any mounting issues or modifications needed.

Great work though, love projects like these.

As far as conversions go it was very easy , brought a bell housing conversion for the gearbox along with a modded output shaft to allow the fitment of engine as the housing mates up with the engine and the output shaft allows the use of a full Subaru clutch instead of a hybrid type clutch,,, engine bar is just what it says really ,, goes to the old mounting points on the van and uses the original Subaru engine mounts

So removing the old engine and box swapping housings and replacing it all can be done in half a day ish , there are a few company's doing full conversion kits now but they are around 4K ish , so far iv spent around 2k

domino46 21 September 2016 06:57 AM

Couple of videos of it running

Cambs_Stuart 21 September 2016 10:53 AM

Absolutely fantastic.
I'd love to see more pictures of the conversion.
How does it drive?

domino46 21 September 2016 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart (Post 11878078)
Absolutely fantastic.
I'd love to see more pictures of the conversion.
How does it drive?

Let me know what you would like to see and I'll take some pics when I get a chance

To be honest I haven't driven it yet as its not got any gearbox oil in and the insurance ran out while I was working on it so need to do them both then I'll be out for a test run but iv tested the gears to see that they ingauge ok and they seem fine so can't foresee any major problems :thumb:

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 21 September 2016 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11878095)
Let me know what you would like to see and I'll take some pics when I get a chance

To be honest I haven't driven it yet as its not got any gearbox oil in and the insurance ran out while I was working on it so need to do them both then I'll be out for a test run but iv tested the gears to see that they ingauge ok and they seem fine so can't foresee any major problems :thumb:

Hi,
When you're ready for insurance if you need any assistance then please feel free to drop me a line if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

mikey_w50 21 September 2016 10:48 PM

I'd offer him 6k. At the end of the day it's only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. The worst he can say is no.

mikey_w50 21 September 2016 10:49 PM

Sorry wrong thread.

domino46 22 September 2016 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by mikey_w50 (Post 11878367)
Sorry wrong thread.

I was going to say it's not even for sale so they can offer what they want :lol:

domino46 27 September 2016 01:52 PM

First road test has gone very well , all working as it should , couple of tiny leaks at the joins so prob the jubilee clips need a tweak but over all very very happy

Grill at the front just needs re fitting

ZANY 27 September 2016 02:31 PM

I'd be buzzin my head off if that went pass me:luxhello: great work:thumb:

domino46 27 September 2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11879747)
I'd be buzzin my head off if that went pass me:luxhello: great work:thumb:

Not as much as the man driving it lol ,, the body will need sorting aswell at some point so it's going WR blue , blue and black interior and as much Subaru kit I can fit on really lol

ZANY 27 September 2016 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11879748)
Not as much as the man driving it lol ,, the body will need sorting aswell at some point so it's going WR blue , blue and black interior and as much Subaru kit I can fit on really lol

Defo:D look forward to seeing your progress:thumb: