ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   iOS 10 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1041836-ios-10-a.html)

JackClark 12 September 2016 11:32 PM

iOS 10

This is the first time I haven't used the beta so I'm looking forward to 6pm.

iPhone 5 and up.

Not sure if Watch OS3 is out at the same time but I would think so.

Back up to iTunes first if at all possible.

CharlesTuna 12 September 2016 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11875490)
This is the first time I haven't used the beta so I'm looking forward to 6pm.

iPhone 5 and up.

Not sure if Watch OS3 is out at the same time but I would think so.

Back up to iTunes first if at all possible.

I've been waiting for this thread to start ;)

SwissTony 13 September 2016 01:12 PM

watchos is also out at same time

JackClark 13 September 2016 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 11875642)
watchos is also out at same time

Nice. Just need to survive a day in the big smoke then it's update time!!

SwissTony 13 September 2016 03:00 PM

I will be down the gym when it all goes download city so I shall wait until the madness has died down and grab them later
Which usually means waiting until tomorrow as Apple servers will be running at full tilt !
Let's hope they have put an extra dollar in the meter

Brun 13 September 2016 09:38 PM

Running 10 now. Nothing better, just a few things different for me which basically means better would have been leave it alone :thumb:

JackClark 13 September 2016 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11875817)
Running 10 now. Nothing better, just a few things different for me which basically means better would have been leave it alone :thumb:

That's a good result. It should be subtle not striking. Always take an available update.

dpb 14 September 2016 07:23 AM

A "Home" app seems to have appeared without my permission

JackClark 14 September 2016 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11875908)
A "Home" app seems to have appeared without my permission

I think you'll find quite a few new things including the ability to delete stock apps. Which is good timing it seems.

neil-h 14 September 2016 10:06 AM

Well I'm shocked, 10 posts in and no sign of Toffee Pie telling everyone how all the new features in iOS are things Android had years ago. :eek:

SwissTony 14 September 2016 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11875955)
Well I'm shocked, 10 posts in and no sign of Toffee Pie telling everyone how all the new features in iOS are things Android had years ago. :eek:

dont worry, he will be along soon linking to the bbc website about iphone users having their phones bricked as stupidly they tried to update it over the air with 1.1GB over 3/4G :D
(though Apple fixed the issue within a few hours that wont be relevant of course :Whatever_ )

Did mine last night, all good and been playing with the new features.
One little tip is bubble effects in iMessage for those users who are iphone 5/c/s and iphone 6.
If you dont have 3D touch then the new bubble effects will not work if you have REDUCE MOTION turned on.
Turn it off and you will find the long press on bubble effects now works

JackClark 14 September 2016 11:56 AM

Good shout, I'd turned it on for some forgotten reason.

SwissTony 14 September 2016 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11875985)
Good shout, I'd turned it on for some forgotten reason.

I had it turned on because of the whizzy icons on login

Puff The Magic Wagon! 14 September 2016 01:00 PM

Whole thing only took about 40 mins for my 5S, 25 for my iPad but ages for my Watch!

I hit update at about 18:20 last night and there was no delay or lag :)

SwissTony 14 September 2016 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Whole thing only took about 40 mins for my 5S, 25 for my iPad but ages for my Watch!

I hit update at about 18:20 last night and there was no delay or lag :)

My watch took bloody ages as well !
But luckily I have a breathe app to remind me to calm down :)

JackClark 14 September 2016 01:43 PM

The filter by unread is handy.

SwissTony 14 September 2016 02:03 PM

by contrast the threading in mail is appalling :mad:

First impressions :
1. Lock screen, notifications and no accidental home screen dismiss is a godsend
2. swipe from left for notifications is great, very detailed and swipe from right for camera is soooooo much quicker and easier than the old method
3. Threading in mail is annoying and was the first to go ( just like conversation mode which I hate) but the unread action is good.
4. iMessage finally gets the update it has needed for ages. Some are gimmicky and I wont use, some are a lot more useful ( like automatic emoji )
5. shared editing in Notes is useful
6.Contacts reordering with details is far better

JackClark 14 September 2016 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 11876047)
by contrast the threading in mail is appalling :mad:

First impressions :
1. Lock screen, notifications and no accidental home screen dismiss is a godsend
2. swipe from left for notifications is great, very detailed and swipe from right for camera is soooooo much quicker and easier than the old method
3. Threading in mail is annoying and was the first to go ( just like conversation mode which I hate) but the unread action is good.
4. iMessage finally gets the update it has needed for ages. Some are gimmicky and I wont use, some are a lot more useful ( like automatic emoji )
5. shared editing in Notes is useful
6.Contacts reordering with details is far better

I love threading on the desktop and so far love it on iOS. Marmite.

This may have been in the last update and I missed it, but super handy.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...3a7e281e9c.png

stevebt 14 September 2016 07:06 PM

Just read on Mailonline that it's supposedly bricking some devices? Is it worth taking the chance on the upgrade?

JackClark 14 September 2016 07:37 PM

Fixed. Crack on.

Matty81 14 September 2016 07:43 PM

hahahahaha toffee pie is cracking me up on the other thread

toffee_pie 14 September 2016 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11875920)
I think you'll find quite a few new things including the ability to delete stock apps. Which is good timing it seems.

wow, now iOS even lets you delete apps.

toffee_pie 14 September 2016 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11875955)

the ability to delete apps is astounding, must say i am gobsmacked by how far Apple have come, soon there will be the ability to open several apps at once and seamlessly switch between them.

This is why Apple are useless and how far behind the times they are, when Fanboys see OLED displays they will explode with excitement next year.

JackClark 14 September 2016 11:45 PM

LOL.

neil-h 15 September 2016 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11876213)
the ability to delete apps is astounding, must say i am gobsmacked by how far Apple have come, soon there will be the ability to open several apps at once and seamlessly switch between them.

What are you on :facepalm2:

JackClark 15 September 2016 09:07 AM

iOS 10 now installed on more devices that Android Nougat and Marshmallow combined. Which isn't bad considering that 80% of users are on Android.

toffee_pie 15 September 2016 09:17 AM

The Note series can multitask 2 apps at once, with several more running in the background, probably too much for iOS. All them 'new' features in iOS10 are nothing new to most people in the 21st century.

There is a reason why the cpu scores on the Apple devices are so high, its partly due to the smaller displays and again due to the fact the OS is much more basic.

now with everyone up to speed on iOS10 it means people will have plenty fun deleting apps.

JackClark 15 September 2016 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11876262)
The Note series can multitask 2 apps at once, with several more running in the background, probably too much for iOS. All them 'new' features in iOS10 are nothing new to most people in the 21st century.

There is a reason why the cpu scores on the Apple devices are so high, its partly due to the smaller displays and again due to the fact the OS is much more basic.

now with everyone up to speed on iOS10 it means people will have plenty fun deleting apps.

You might remember this video, it's all about which device is better at multitasking, now do bear in mind that the 7 will spank the 6s so your beloved device slips further down the ranking.

dpb 15 September 2016 11:44 AM

If you're desperate for real multi tasking you would go for BlackBerry wouldn't you

JackClark 15 September 2016 12:48 PM

Got a new love/hate with Breathe, I'm going along with it at the minute as it does feel good to take a minute out. Same with being told to stand.