ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   04 sti uk poor start warm and cold (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1041674-04-sti-uk-poor-start-warm-and-cold.html)

Nastysti 06 September 2016 06:18 PM

04 sti uk poor start warm and cold

Hi, thanks for looking.

Jumped in and bought myself a my 54 uk sti, over the moon with it to be honest. Have had it for around 2 month now but have discovered a problem i dont want to live with.

If the car has been left over night the first start of the day usually takes 5 to 6 cranks of the engine before it comes to life. (Always let the fuel pump finish priming) there is a very rich smell of fuel.

Once running runs fine.

If im at work i leave the car for 8 hours. Occasionally when trying to start after this time it can take a while to get going, engine will tick over but at very low rpm (low enough it dosnt read on the rev counter) for about 10 to 20 seconds then picks its self up to 1500 rpm, it almost sounds like it isnt firing on all cylinders.

If i leave the car for a few days then the first start of the day is considerably worse, up to 10 crancks of the engine and starts on really low revs but will eventually pick its self up.

This cant be (normal) can it?

Car is only run on v power and ive just had the spark plugs changed as i thought thwy could have been a cause.

Many thanks in advance.

JDM_Stig 06 September 2016 07:20 PM

is the car standard?

Nastysti 06 September 2016 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11873573)
is the car standard?

Yes all apart from a dump valve and hella horns

Nastysti 07 September 2016 07:57 AM

Just to add, the fault dosnt happen all the time, yesterday it started straight up after being parked at work all day, and again this morning i had no problems.

malevolent_sti 07 September 2016 10:55 AM

My MY04 UK STi takes a few turns to fire up. The engine has been rebuilt and it still does it even after that. I think there are a few people on here who have a similar problem, but once the car is running it's spot on.

I've checked sparks, vacuum leaks, earthing, fuel pressure, injectors, air sensors even the octane of the fuel in the car... just doesn't want to start up quickly!

My MY04 JDM STI fires up every time first turn on the key...

This might help;

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...injectors.html

Not sure how applicable if you're on standard injectors though.

ossett2k2 07 September 2016 11:19 AM

What dump valve have you got on there?
You're not touching the loud pedal when cranking are you?

Nastysti 07 September 2016 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by malevolent_sti (Post 11873726)
My MY04 UK STi takes a few turns to fire up. The engine has been rebuilt and it still does it even after that. I think there are a few people on here who have a similar problem, but once the car is running it's spot on.

I've checked sparks, vacuum leaks, earthing, fuel pressure, injectors, air sensors even the octane of the fuel in the car... just doesn't want to start up quickly!

My MY04 JDM STI fires up every time first turn on the key...

This might help;

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...injectors.html

Not sure how applicable if you're on standard injectors though.

Thanks for that

Nastysti 07 September 2016 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11873729)
What dump valve have you got on there?
You're not touching the loud pedal when cranking are you?

I ever put the dump valve on, came with it but looks like a lump of aluminium, no make on it.

And no never touch accelerator when starting.

I will try to get a video recorded to show problem cheers

ossett2k2 07 September 2016 12:24 PM

Take a pic of the dv too,sounds like an eBay special? Not good for the car if it is.

romford-boy 07 September 2016 01:02 PM

Common issue with STI's. Mine can be the same (although no where near as much as yours).

Been a few threads on the Essex forum, and basically there doesn't appear to be a one size fits all solution, and changing injectors hasn't been proven to work consistently.

Mine is lightly modified, and I get much better results if I switch the ignition on and wait for the fuel pump to prime, and re-do this process again (maybe even twice) before starting. Then it starts miles better.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...rt-issues.html

ZANY 07 September 2016 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11873766)
Take a pic of the dv too,sounds like an eBay special? Not good for the car if it is.

+1 bro but why does the op smell fuel is the question I'm thinking about:confused: are all fuel pipes checked for cracks while started under bonnet? Has the rear bench been removed and connections on the fuel pump lines been checked ?
Just my 20p's worth:thumb:

romford-boy 07 September 2016 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11873766)

Yeah get that pile of crap off the car and put OEM back on.

romford-boy 07 September 2016 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11873781)
+1 bro but why does the op smell fuel is the question I'm thinking about:confused: are all fuel pipes checked for cracks while started under bonnet? Has the rear bench been removed and connections on the fuel pump lines been checked ?

Might also be worth double checking it is on original cat and back box.

Mine is on a half decat and Vortex Afterburner, and always smells of fuel upon start up. Smell should go very quickly.

ZANY 07 September 2016 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11873783)

Mine is on a half decat and Vortex Afterburner, and always smells of fuel upon start up. Smell should go very quickly.

Mines on full decat blitz nur spec and no smell of fuel at any given time only time I smelt fuel was when my fuel pipe going to the filter was ever so slightly cracked couldn't tell tell it was leaking there when on idle

Nastysti 07 September 2016 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11873783)

It has the prodrive exhaust system but will take some pics later on today

Nastysti 07 September 2016 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11873781)

I will make this my weekend job!! Have not checked fuel lines.

romford-boy 07 September 2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11873784)
Mines on full decat blitz nur spec and no smell of fuel at any given time only time I smelt fuel was when my fuel pipe going to the filter was ever so slightly cracked couldn't tell tell it was leaking there when on idle

Joys of Subarus huh :s No consistent answers to these things.

ZANY 07 September 2016 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11873791)
Joys of Subarus huh :s No consistent answers to these things.

True indeed my freind we can only assist with our past experiences and knowledge and hope the op resolves the issue without any more problems it's what makes us enthusiasts appreciate each other IMO and that's priceless:thumb:

Nastysti 07 September 2016 04:09 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...45e04c5e01.jpg

The dump valve in question

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...1d399783c7.jpg

No make on it that i can see

imprezagaz 07 September 2016 05:01 PM

Can't beat the standard recirc for me. Cheap enough off breakers on here as well

ZANY 07 September 2016 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nastysti (Post 11873845)

That is am eBay special bro as suggested previously I'd get it ripped right off its probably leaking its t!ts off can't see the idle or running of the engine being smooth neither this is not a chav rant that is a sh!t dump valve from China :cry:

ossett2k2 07 September 2016 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11873869)
That is am eBay special bro as suggested previously I'd get it ripped right off its probably leaking its t!ts off can't see the idle or running of the engine being smooth neither this is not a chav rant that is a sh!t dump valve from China :cry:

+1 :thumb:
Needs to be installed into the nearest wheelie bin!

Nastysti 07 September 2016 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11873878)
+1 :thumb:
Needs to be installed into the nearest wheelie bin!

No problem, any one have the part no for the standard recerc valve?? Or any one got one for sale? Cant post in the wanted section yet..

ossett2k2 07 September 2016 06:41 PM

Try Matty at MB Developments,he advertises in the breakers section.

sti-chris 07 September 2016 09:01 PM

A mate of mines had that very same dump vale on his and it blew the end cap right off stripping the 4 bolts. Bin that right away and switch it out for original or buy a more reputable valve like a Forge unit or HKS.

Nastysti 13 September 2016 03:41 PM

Update for any one interested, fuel lines checked over the weekend, all good. Fuel pump checked all good. Managed to get a hold of a standard re circ valve. Fitted on saturday, no problems so far, however i am letting tje fuel pump prime twice before starting.

What i have noticed which i think is down to the dump valve is that the car idles way better now, it settles at operating idle alot quicker too.

Cheers

ossett2k2 13 September 2016 04:42 PM

Happy days!
The car will appreciate you losing that dump valve :thumb:

ZANY 13 September 2016 05:05 PM

You shouldn't need to prime it twice if the problem persists go for an upgrade on your fuel pump :thumb:

ZANY 13 September 2016 05:08 PM

The drive on it must be more smoother throttle wise etc without that thing on it

Shaqs77 19 September 2016 10:34 PM

Same issue on my stock sti ppp blob