ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Fake Harnesses on Fake Britain (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1041526-fake-harnesses-on-fake-britain.html)

The Trooper 1815 30 August 2016 11:07 AM

Fake Harnesses on Fake Britain

BBC1 this morning - 30 Aug 2016.

Fake harnesses for sale and failing badly in tests. People should watch this and be warned that they look good but can kill. If you rally or race get real stuff otherwise just leave them alone.

ALi-B 30 August 2016 01:23 PM

Caught some of that whilst eating breakfast...

Not to mention the fake ice cream vans (just when I thought I'd heard/seen it all). :eek:

The Pink Ninja 30 August 2016 01:32 PM

Nothing new that...takata's have been copied for years, I guess they have moved on to other brands now

MattyB1983 30 August 2016 02:48 PM

I bought one off ebay a couple of years ago. Had a letter earlier this year from some governing body explaining that it was fake and that I should dispose of it immediately.

When I then contacted paypal and ebay regarding getting my money back they both washed their hands of me and said nothing they could do.

I'll just stick it on the passenger seat and let my wife take the chance

bustaMOVEs 30 August 2016 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11871695)
I bought one off ebay a couple of years ago. Had a letter earlier this year from some governing body explaining that it was fake and that I should dispose of it immediately.

When I then contacted paypal and ebay regarding getting my money back they both washed their hands of me and said nothing they could do.

I'll just stick it on the passenger seat and let my wife take the chance

They bloody should take note as its classed as counterfeit which they are against, especially if you've got a letter from the governing body to prove.

Shane 30 August 2016 05:38 PM

I saw this as well, scary how the lower harness mounts just fell apart.

jayallen 30 August 2016 06:25 PM

It's the same with the fake OMP and Sparco steering wheels yet people still buy them. They don't take much effort to bend.

TypeR99 30 August 2016 06:44 PM

Saw the program too and thought the same as Jay. Should have done a complete program on boss/hubs, steering wheels, wheel nuts and harnesses.

MattyB1983 30 August 2016 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11871711)
They bloody should take note as its classed as counterfeit which they are against, especially if you've got a letter from the governing body to prove.

Ebay said there was nothing they could do as the seller was not using ebay any longer, I replied that he most likely was but just with a different name.

PayPal said they would be more than happy to help and would refund me, if I'd contacted them within 30 days of the purchase :brickwall

Not too fussed though, it looks the part in the car.

nortonscooby 30 August 2016 07:00 PM

Just out interest what sort of prices do these fakes sell for cause i bet they not that cheap? Shocking how you can get anything non genuine from phones to an armani t-shirt to motorsport parts. How do they do it? I mean must be easy iron on a transfer to a t-shirt but to replicate harnesses,steering wheels and hks items must take some doing?

MattyB1983 30 August 2016 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by nortonscooby (Post 11871767)
Just out interest what sort of prices do these fakes sell for cause i bet they not that cheap? Shocking how you can get anything non genuine from phones to an armani t-shirt to motorsport parts. How do they do it? I mean must be easy iron on a transfer to a t-shirt but to replicate harnesses,steering wheels and hks items must take some doing?

Think from memory I paid £70.
To be fair I presumed it wasn't genuine as it was half the price of others, I bought it as a show item rather than to use.
Must say I'm shocked at how poor it was in the above test though, the item itself looks quality.

bustaMOVEs 30 August 2016 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11871759)
Ebay said there was nothing they could do as the seller was not using ebay any longer, I replied that he most likely was but just with a different name.

PayPal said they would be more than happy to help and would refund me, if I'd contacted twhem within 30 days of the purchase :brickwall

Not too fussed though, it looks the part in the car.

Lol, so you still got em fitted :brickwall

bustaMOVEs 30 August 2016 08:02 PM

Tegiwa sell nice takatas at decent price :)

joz8968 30 August 2016 08:05 PM

The girl in my avatar has nice takatas.

MattyB1983 30 August 2016 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11871793)
Lol, so you still got em fitted :brickwall

Only bought one but yea still in the car, never once put it on though to be fair. Just looks a treat :D
I find them a ball ache to wear, especially in a road car.

bustaMOVEs 30 August 2016 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11871797)
The girl in my avatar has nice takatas.

Not disagreeing there.

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11871799)
Only bought one but yea still in the car, never once put it on though to be fair. Just looks a treat :D
I find them a ball ache to wear, especially in a road car.

You show queen

MattyB1983 30 August 2016 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11871808)

You show queen

:lol1:

Just suits the car, what with the cage etc etc... plus I spend more time looking at the thing than actually driving it :cry:

JGlanzaV 30 August 2016 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 11871821)
:lol1:

Just suits the car, what with the cage etc etc... plus I spend more time looking at the thing than actually driving it :cry:

It's probably more dangerous not using harnesses with a cage!

bustaMOVEs 30 August 2016 09:14 PM

Got to agree with grumpy there

nortonscooby 30 August 2016 09:15 PM

Just watched this on iplayer. Shocking is all i can say. To the untrained eye id think i had top of the range harnesses and would feel safe with them.

MattyB1983 30 August 2016 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11871823)
It's probably more dangerous not using harnesses with a cage!

Yea you're probably not far wrong there. Mine is all padded up with decent stuff in all the areas where contact is likely in the event of an impact mind you.
If i ever got to a stage where I was using the car more often or decided to use it on track then I'd have to invest in a decent harness.

markb_s1 31 August 2016 03:34 PM

saw it at work. crash test dummy footage was terrifying!

joz8968 31 August 2016 03:52 PM

That vid is like the equivalent to the 'Long Drop' in hanging! :eek:

FMJ 04 September 2016 01:53 AM

It's all or nothing really.

I do shake my head when I see people with a set of harnesses fitted in a normal car.

Four points cause submarining where you slip under and get awful chest and neck injuries.

Five and six points are great but if used on their own they have to be tight and you will snap your neck. Normal belts allow your whole body to move a bit preventing this. 5/6 points keep you rigid and your head basically snaps at the base of your neck.

To stop this you need a helmet with a neck brace or head restraint system.

Also without a roll cage you will be held up right meaning the car rolls, the roof comes down and then your spine supports the weight of the car. In a normal belt your body can move away from this.

Just a roll cage as has been said you risk serious head injuries in a big smack. Even if your head isn't near it normally the car will distort enough to move your head near it.

So none of it is safe on it's own. In fact by fitting any of it on it's own or in a half arsed way you are increasing the risk of life changing injuries or death, plus no insurance payout. It's either the standard system which is expertly designed and tested. Or the whole proper job with genuine items made by proper companies cage, 5/6 points, a helmet and a neck brace/head restraint.

joz8968 04 September 2016 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by FMJ
...and a neck brace/head restraint.

https://sitcomgenre.files.wordpress....r-hans-006.jpg

Geddit? (Think a about it. ;))