ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sonos 5 plus Spotify equals... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1041517-sonos-5-plus-spotify-equals.html)

JTaylor 29 August 2016 08:39 PM

Sonos 5 plus Spotify equals...

...:D

Finally moved in to the 21st century and gone digital. Bloody brilliant! I can't believe how good this combo is! Just seemingly infinite music...currently listening to 'Love Spreads' by the Stone Roses after some early Queen and Doors and some Led Zep'...nice glass of red adds another dimension. ;)

DoZZa 29 August 2016 10:14 PM

Sonos is awesome isn't it!

Most rooms in my house have a Sonos device of some description.

We use Spotify and Rhapsody (Napster). Also have SoundCloud running on it too.

legb4rsk 30 August 2016 01:04 PM

I have been looking into downloads.Have a record player & cd player at the mo,fairly high end system.Do either of you use hi-res lossless files & what is the quality like?

Thanks.:thumb:

JTaylor 30 August 2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11871669)
I have been looking into downloads.Have a record player & cd player at the mo,fairly high end system.Do either of you use hi-res lossless files & what is the quality like?

Thanks.:thumb:

I have a pair of Eltax 8.3 speakers, Cambridge Audio amp and CD player and a Rega Planar 3 turntable. Not high-end, but certainly produces a decent sound. I would say that the combo of a Sonos 5 and Spotify premium is almost as good despite the comparatively small, single speaker and wireless nature of the set-up. When you factor-in that you can select virtually any version of any record ever produced, the latter becomes a very attractive proposition. Don't get me wrong, I'll still enjoy the process of putting a real record on and enjoy the warmth that vinyl offers, but I think I can see my CD collection becoming increasingly redundant.

legb4rsk 30 August 2016 08:33 PM

Thanks for the reply! Shame there is no audio out to connect to the hifi but Sonos want you to buy 2 to create a stereo pair.
I think you're under-selling this product saying it only has one speaker:

Amplifier
Six Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture.

Tweeters
Three tweeters create a crisp and accurate high-frequency response.

Mid-woofers
Three dedicated mid-woofers ensure the faithful reproduction of mid-range frequencies crucial for accurate playback of vocals and instruments, while also delivering a deep, rich bass.

Audio line-in
Auto-detecting 3.5mm audio line-in connection

Stereo Pair setting
Turn two PLAY:5s into separate left and right channel speakers for an intense stereo listening experience. Place vertically for a deeper, more focused sweet spot, or sideways for wider, more shareable sound coverage.

5.1 Home Cinema
Add two PLAY:5 speakers to a PLAYBAR and SUB for a true surround sound experience.

Thanks.

Skoobie Dhu 30 August 2016 08:39 PM

Apparently you can now buy a watch that displays the time and has no moving parts, what will they think of next ;)

Seriously though, love my Sonos, I use deezer and can lose hours searching for 'artists like' the ones I'm looking for - end up listening to some weird and wonderful still that I've not heard in ages or just missed altogether.

P.s. There's always subscription deals for deezer etc, in the 2 years I've had deezer it's mostly been free or very cheap - I posted a 3 month deal on hotukdeals recently for £9.99 for 3 months.

dpb 30 August 2016 09:30 PM

I think they hook the punter on the basis you get Spotify free for a year ?

id certainly want it free after shelling out that sort of wedge fro every room

as it is I can only afford an amp some speakers and Bluetooth gateway from phone , free deezer

8ulldog 30 August 2016 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 11871806)
Shame there is no audio out to connect to the hifi

That's what the Sonos Connect is for. I run 2 with high-end ATC speaker / amp combos alongside Sonos speakers in other rooms.