ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Syvecs bluetooth module (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1041471-syvecs-bluetooth-module.html)

stonejedi 27 August 2016 07:43 PM

Syvecs bluetooth module

As title who's running one and can anyone tell me if its a worth while bit of kit to have.Just got myself an Apple Iphone and would maybe like to try one out.SJ.

Rbon91 27 August 2016 10:00 PM

Subscribed... also interested

bustaMOVEs 28 August 2016 09:34 AM

Looked in to this with the app you can get also, looked at the demo of app and tbh, the only best thing is the ability to have a bigger screen like mini iPad, the display not the same either, you'll still need extra sensors like oil pressure etc.
The price for the actual module vs toucan, toucan is cheaper and get a better display with toucan IMO.
That's the reasons I looked into it for some sort of display monitoring.

I think they can be wirelessly mapped/tweeked to.

bustaMOVEs 28 August 2016 09:37 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...d9b97e8832.png

Display of syvecs app

stonejedi 28 August 2016 10:10 AM

Nice one busta:thumb:,But what i really need is someone who has one fitted up and uses it on a regular.I was looking at the toucan but i am a gauges man i just came across the Syvecs bluetooth module just watching videos on youtube Lool :lol1:and it looked interesting on the GTR that had one fitted,and thought that might be nice added to my setup now i have the Iphone,and the Syvecs module seemed to communicate in real time with the GTR owners iphone.SJ.

bustaMOVEs 28 August 2016 11:16 AM

It is pretty cool, but I'm sure the module alone is £500+ and then sensor pack on top etc, seperate iPad mini to install to car.
Toucan is cheaper lol, but smaller screen.
I like minimalist, instead of gauges so the toucan will be best value for money for me, the ecu will display everything else same anyway.

Just wireless vs fixed IMO.

stonejedi 28 August 2016 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11871104)
It is pretty cool, but I'm sure the module alone is £500+ and then sensor pack on top etc, seperate iPad mini to install to car.
Toucan is cheaper lol, but smaller screen.
I like minimalist, instead of gauges so the toucan will be best value for money for me, the ecu will display everything else same anyway.

Just wireless vs fixed IMO.

Thanks for that busta,it is just what i was thinking just now;),I will leave as is and maybe next year pick up a toucan and get it added or if a bluetooth module crops up on the cheap i might give it ago,Thanks for your input mate:thumb:.SJ.

banny sti 28 August 2016 10:17 PM

Bluetooth module is £250 plus vat from memory, you will need sensors for oil pressure and oil temp if you want to monitor them. In essence it replaces gauges as it only displays data, you cant actually adjust anything.

bustaMOVEs 28 August 2016 10:40 PM

Yes sorry, believe your right £250+vat.

stonejedi 28 August 2016 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11871260)
Bluetooth module is £250 plus vat from memory, you will need sensors for oil pressure and oil temp if you want to monitor them. In essence it replaces gauges as it only displays data, you cant actually adjust anything.

Thanks banny:thumb:.SJ.

veerinder9 29 August 2016 09:20 AM

I looked into this aswel. Buy a cheap ipad and then Bluetooth module works out cheaper then the little toucan and looks loads better

bustaMOVEs 29 August 2016 10:47 AM

I believe you can switch maps on it and do data logging not sure if available yet as per video.
Dosent have the rounds fails either that I've seen? It's more numbers.

I do like the idea if I'm honest, £300 for module, £200 iPad mini, then sensor pack which will be around £250 at least.
It's slightly cheaper to get toucan IMO. But can the toucan do more? @TimH
The only downfall IMO is that the toucan is slightly small and could do with it a bit bigger.

TimH 29 August 2016 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11871365)
I believe you can switch maps on it and do data logging not sure if available yet as per video.
Dosent have the rounds fails either that I've seen? It's more numbers.

I do like the idea if I'm honest, £300 for module, £200 iPad mini, then sensor pack which will be around £250 at least.
It's slightly cheaper to get toucan IMO. But can the toucan do more? @TimH
The only downfall IMO is that the toucan is slightly small and could do with it a bit bigger.

I'm biased of course :D

Yes, I know people say Toucan is a small but I would say that most of the time you don't need to be looking at it. It monitors all the parameters you've set up and will beep at you when an alarm is tripped and will pop up the full screen gauge for the offending parameter.

A full screen gauge is 52mm diameter (give or take) so is the same size as the smaller of the two popular analogue dial gauges anyway.

Toucan also has non-volatile memory to remember the CAL you've chosen - I don't believe the bluetooth model does, so if you remove the iPad my understanding is that you lose the cal you selected.

Toucan allows not only CAL selection from the screen but also ALS on/off. It can also do either LC on/off or provide traction control CAL selection when you control the Syvecs via CANbus on the Toucan.

Toucan also works with loads of other ECUs so is more flexible, should you change car or ECU or just want to sell it on (AlcaTek, Simtek2, MoTeC, MBE, Link, Vi-Pec, Syvecs, Life Racing).

There's also a companion high brightness multi-colour 8 LED shift light that can be set up very easily from Toucan (although you can set it up from a PC).

Toucan "decodes" limp and trip modes - not sure if the iPad app does or, if it does, whether you have to manually configure it. I have made Toucan as plug-and-play as I possibly can!

Both Toucan and the iPad solution benefit from additional sensors (oil temp and pressure for example) as noted.

Syvecs has logging anyway - Toucan does have an internal 2Mbyte memory with logging in mind....I really must get around to implementing this, especially for AlcaTek :)

Bottom line - it's really a personal choice. I would be inclined to say that Toucan is best for a permanent install, whereas bluetooth and an iPad works well if you simply want to occasionally "hook up" and take a look.

Also: always open to someone wanting to run a group buy :thumb:

JGlanzaV 29 August 2016 11:27 AM

When are you going to make one with a bigger screen Tim? ;)

stonejedi 29 August 2016 11:49 AM

Thank you Tim for your input it's very much appreciated:thumb:.I don't mind when the creator of a part is biased it just means that they whole heartedly believe in their product,which is a plus in my eyes:)My wife has already got a toucan on her car which she is more then happy with,my problem is I need something to work with my existing gauges and cal switch as I am not going to get rid of them as the cal switch works nice for me for a quick Map change on the move;).My wife thinks its a bit over kill as I have most parameters on gauges already but it is just something that I personally am thinking of adding just for the visual and audible alarms I got some thinking to do it seems.Anymore input is welcome.SJ.

bustaMOVEs 29 August 2016 12:08 PM

Thanks Tim for clarification.

I have the cal switch too, but can this be kept in place instead of having it wired to toucan? ie, just don't wire cal to toucan? Or will this not then show what cal it's on screen etc?

And sorry Tim, been a bit hectic but will be in touch in a couple of weeks for stock, thanks

TimH 29 August 2016 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11871382)
When are you going to make one with a bigger screen Tim? ;)

It may happen, but even if I started now it would be a year away at least :(

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11871395)
Thanks Tim for clarification.

I have the cal switch too, but can this be kept in place instead of having it wired to toucan? ie, just don't wire cal to toucan? Or will this not then show what cal it's on screen etc?

No problem if you want to keep an external CAL switch - Toucan will still display the current CAL and you can still add text to each CAL position to remind yourself what each one does.

joe v3sti 29 August 2016 04:40 PM

No need to increase screen size Tim.
Toucan works well

TimH 29 August 2016 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11871442)
No need to increase screen size Tim.
Toucan works well

Thanks Joe :thumb: