ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   To modify or not to modify. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1041413-to-modify-or-not-to-modify.html)

Dannymot 24 August 2016 11:07 PM

To modify or not to modify.

I have a dilemma.. I own a prime example 1997 Classic jdm sti 77000 km and almost completely standard . I bought it on a whim to maybe track with and now I have the bug to try and make it faster . But I'm having an issue with my conscience saying I should leave it be as standard and let sleeping dogs lie ?
Should I sell it and get a ready done track car maybe a type r or turn the other cheek and modify it ?? What are these cars worth standard? is there a huge difference in weight on ra type r's to the four door sti's ? Will it hold value modified ?

Ash Webster 25 August 2016 05:10 PM

Dont sell it, keep it. If you want to drive something that gives you a buzz everytime you get behind the wheel imo theres nothing better than a classic jdm sti. With the right mods it makes a fast track car.

poffer1 25 August 2016 09:58 PM

Keep it and modify it sympathetically. It's meant to be fun. If you worry too much about future value or "spoiling" it, you will stop having fun.

Dannymot 25 August 2016 10:20 PM

The real issue I have is I don't want to spoil the car , modify in moderation is the key I think . The complete opposite to my other toy a hill climber Renault 5 gt turbo :D

hardcoreimpreza 26 August 2016 07:18 AM

Just fit an uprated exhaust, that can be removed easily. Any pictures off it?

neil-h 26 August 2016 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dannymot (Post 11870375)
The real issue I have is I don't want to spoil the car , modify in moderation is the key I think . The complete opposite to my other toy a hill climber Renault 5 gt turbo :D

That's the answer tbh, keep it to performance related decent quality parts and you'll be fine. Stuff like AP brakes, anti roll bars (whiteline or similar), if you fancy coilovers then go for a decent make (i.e. KW/Bilstein/Ohlins).

Dannymot 30 August 2016 06:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few pictures from cadwell park a week or so ago , the car preformed perfectly.

Cambs_Stuart 01 September 2016 08:58 AM

That looks like a very nice classic.
I agree with the previous comments, modify in moderation and get the best quality parts available. Personally I'd be leafing through the superpro and whiteline catalogues and looking for bush kits, braided steel hoses for brakes and clutch and then possibly looking at getting under bonnet temperatures down, which may help with reliability, especially if it's going to get an occasional hard workout on the track.

Dannymot 01 September 2016 01:38 PM

Yea cheers Stuart.
I've now done a couple off mods and it came also with a couple.
Version 5 forge bottom end with wrc oil pump inc modified spirng etc. Still got the v4 heads.
std airbox with green filter .
Uprated 255lb fuel pump.
Exhaust from turbo straight back system.

I've also put some better discs and pads from godspeed on the front and changed the single pot rears to twin pots with the bigger discs to suit with braided lines all round inc 5.1 fluid made a huge difference to the braking system.
Fedral 595rs semi slicks on the std wheels .
I've also swapped out the rear anti roll bar with a whiteline 22m adjustable .

Things i think to look at as you say" further bushings" and a decent set of coil-overs (hopefully before the end of the month as im of to Oulten park with her.)
She definitely needs a swirl pot for fuel as it was popping and banging round cadwell under half a tank of fuel .
I'd like a little more power from it so maybe looking at a mappable ecu is again another aspect i need to look at over winter.