ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Does anywhere do finance/payment plan on an ESL or equivalent? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1041338-does-anywhere-do-finance-payment-plan-on-an-esl-or-equivalent.html)

stira2 22 August 2016 12:10 PM

Does anywhere do finance/payment plan on an ESL or equivalent?

Hi all, I've got a V3 STI RA with an Apexi power fc fitted and mapped but one of the diodes has burnt out on the board, it's away at the moment hopefully getting fixed... but it's made me think I know it's still a capable ecu but they're getting on a bit and was wondering if getting an ESL or the likes might be a better idea?

I've been quoted around a £1000 to get an ESL fitted and mapped with A/L, launch and mafless.

My question is as it's quite a big outlay is there anywhere that does finance or a payment plan etc?

SmurfyBhoy 22 August 2016 12:12 PM

The Bank lol, 6%

MattyB1983 22 August 2016 12:32 PM

£1000 seems a little steep....

The board itself with motorsports features enabled is around the £500 mark including vat direct from Andy at ESL.
Mapping cost should be around the £300 figure I'd imagine.

Buy the board, fit it yourself and then save up for mapping.

TypeR99 22 August 2016 12:48 PM

Thats way over the top

£550 for ESL supplied/fitted/mapped and £150 for al/lc.

Unless you're running a 6 speed forget the launch as it'll eventually cost you a gearbox and unless you're running a capable turbo forget the antilag too.

jayallen 22 August 2016 01:03 PM

Who has quoted you £1000?

stira2 22 August 2016 01:08 PM

Cheers for the replies... Yeah I thought it was on the pricey side.
It's running a vf29 and a standard RA 5 speed.

Who does it for £550 supplied/fitted and mapped? And do they travel as I'm in North wales

stira2 22 August 2016 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11869192)
Who has quoted you £1000?

Think it was £1040, a local place called slideways motorsport.
Nicest guy you could want to meet and doesn't half know his stuff but unfortunately he seems to be almost twice the price lol

MattyB1983 22 August 2016 01:46 PM

I doubt you'll get it all done for £550, not sure where Hamster got that price from but I could be wrong.
But even so, a grand is beyond a joke.

JGlanzaV 22 August 2016 02:18 PM

If you can't afford it and the apexi is in and set up working etc then just leave it alone.

Esl may have those features but as pointed out, your gearbox will be toast when you launch it, and pops and bangs can be mapped in to any ecu. You don't nesaecarily need als.

You will not need or use 90% of the available features of the ecu

peter zippy reid 22 August 2016 02:22 PM

According to andy forrest website £680 fitted and mapped

stira2 22 August 2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11869219)
If you can't afford it and the apexi is in and set up working etc then just leave it alone.

Esl may have those features but as pointed out, your gearbox will be toast when you launch it, and pops and bangs can be mapped in to any ecu. You don't nesaecarily need als.

You will not need or use 90% of the available features of the ecu

Yeah if it comes back to me and it's all good and he hasn't wiped the map with the work he's done then yeah I'll keep it but if for some reason it can't be fixed or I have to pay to get it remapped I was thinking it might be a good idea to go for an ESL

stira2 22 August 2016 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid (Post 11869223)
According to andy forrest website £680 fitted and mapped

That's would be awesome but it's a hell of a trek to Scotland in a car with no ecu lol

peter zippy reid 22 August 2016 02:52 PM

My point is surely someone local will be same price

Ash Webster 22 August 2016 05:15 PM

I got mine done by Andy Carr, mapped and installed for £700 inc VAT, though that might have included a new decat downpipe ...

stira2 22 August 2016 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid (Post 11869248)
My point is surely someone local will be same price

There's nothing else for about 100 miles at least lol

rossyboy 22 August 2016 05:39 PM

Credit Card?

Jonny Park 22 August 2016 06:01 PM

Group B Motorsport.Deeside.North Wales.
ESL Dealer with in house rolling road & mapper.Am surprised you haven't heard of them.
& as rossyboy said credit card.

Yellow R 22 August 2016 06:37 PM

Price seems about right I had paid £600 for ESL with Motorsport pack enabled & ODB lead and about £400 on mapping setting it all up.

joe v3sti 22 August 2016 07:13 PM

Speak to Andrew Carr, he does a hell of a lot with it.

stira2 22 August 2016 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jonny Park (Post 11869342)
Group B Motorsport.Deeside.North Wales.
ESL Dealer with in house rolling road & mapper.Am surprised you haven't heard of them.
& as rossyboy said credit card.

Oh yeah forgot about them, I'll give them a call in the morning cheers

joe v3sti 23 August 2016 07:49 AM

Mapping on the Chucky! Hahaha love it!

You can't be serious tho

stira2 23 August 2016 08:14 AM

Sure am bud, they do drugs that way and I guess cars are my fix lol... but it's not like I'm after an ecu/remap because I'm after more power it's just to get my car running again.

neil-h 23 August 2016 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11869500)
Mapping on the Chucky! Hahaha love it!

You can't be serious tho

I was going to say this but then again, is it really any worse than putting it on the credit card?

stira2 23 August 2016 08:36 AM

Credit is credit and any form is far from ideal

neil-h 23 August 2016 01:03 PM

Yeah but in this contect 'bung it on the credit card' doesn't sound half as bad as 'get it on finance/payment plan'.

Evansawd 23 August 2016 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by stira2 (Post 11869171)
Hi all, I've got a V3 STI RA with an Apexi power fc fitted and mapped but one of the diodes has burnt out on the board, it's away at the moment hopefully getting fixed... but it's made me think I know it's still a capable ecu but they're getting on a bit and was wondering if getting an ESL or the likes might be a better idea?

I've been quoted around a £1000 to get an ESL fitted and mapped with A/L, launch and mafless.

My question is as it's quite a big outlay is there anywhere that does finance or a payment plan etc?

It may not be an option for you but I strongly recommend going on the esl course that they run. Each and every parameter is explained in detail and teache's you the basics of mapping. I found it very valuable and will sav me in the long run as you will be able to map the esl board each and every time you get in the car if you so wish. The after sales service is also second to non, Andy is very contactable and happy to answer any questions.
Will be cheaper than the £1000 quoted at least

stira2 23 August 2016 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11869610)
Yeah but in this contect 'bung it on the credit card' doesn't sound half as bad as 'get it on finance/payment plan'.

I'm not really getting the difference? I'm not on about ocean finance lol there is quite a lot of places do finance like demontweeks for example...

stira2 23 August 2016 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Evansawd (Post 11869618)
It may not be an option for you but I strongly recommend going on the esl course that they run. Each and every parameter is explained in detail and teache's you the basics of mapping. I found it very valuable and will sav me in the long run as you will be able to map the esl board each and every time you get in the car if you so wish. The after sales service is also second to non, Andy is very contactable and happy to answer any questions.
Will be cheaper than the £1000 quoted at least

Cheers for the reply... so you're saying just get the board fit myself and have a crack at mapping it myself?

neil-h 24 August 2016 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by stira2 (Post 11869626)
I'm not really getting the difference? I'm not on about ocean finance lol there is quite a lot of places do finance like demontweeks for example...

It's just a case of priorities and what you can afford. I only tend to put something on the credit card if i know I can pay it off in full (so usually within a month or two). I certainly wouldn't be looking at taking out a long term finance agreement on car parts.

SmurfyBhoy 24 August 2016 08:49 AM

Quite a few credit cards have zero interest in first 6-12 months so that way would work out cheap for you monthly without robbing interest and also help boost your credit rating if you use it wisely,