ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Stepped up from Legacy to STI! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1040421-stepped-up-from-legacy-to-sti.html)

64uby 22 July 2016 09:03 PM

Stepped up from Legacy to STI!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

Age old story here ... Of course the only car I wanted when I passed my test at 17 was a WRX.
11 years later and having had my legacy for 2 or so years I had to do it (mostly when I realised the insurance company thought I had become so old and boring that they would insure me for a smaller fortune that I could now afford).
My new toy, 2014 wrx sti, dark grey, with extra noisy exhaust from new (see avatar-farm track dust freshly applied daily) came home with me and I abandoned my Legacy as PX near Dundee two days ago so a nice 350mile trip home to just check that I really like her!
Just getting used to the exhaust turning all sorts of heads - they had two cars, same colour; and so after 2 hrs of umming and ahhing went for the 3k less miles, mudflaps, added trim, louder purr (not silly loud, just better than the silent standard 2014) and newer tyres.

Knowing nothing technically of any significance about this car I figured I'd come on here and keep an ear out for hints and tips and particularly engine and suspension related comments (not really mod wise but maintenance and general info).

Hope to enjoy the forum and learn from your experience!

Elly

:luxhello:

8ulldog 23 July 2016 07:04 AM

Welcome and nice car.

Regular servicing at shorter than recommended intervals would be my tip. I change my oil every 3 months (Circa 3000 miles) and filter every 6 months, checking oil weekly when I wash her. It's best to have let the car warm up before any spirited driving, though remember that it's a performance car and you can have fun in her!

Be ready for the 2.5 haters, they will be along shortly with their tales of woe. I'm sure there are issues though plenty have not had any.

8ulldog

nikon-man 23 July 2016 07:35 AM

Welcome to the forum...

nice looking car but would like to see a nice pic of it not in the grass etc...LOL

have fun

64uby 23 July 2016 07:41 AM

Hi 8ulldog

Thanks for the warnings (particularly the haters :-D!) ... was thinking oil looked fairly ready this morning despite only having 4.5k since last stamped service (assume non in between) so best get on with that one.

She has a very slow exit down our half mile track to get to non stony road surface so half the warm up is usually done at 5mph while cringing at any excitable pebbles popping up - personal stone chip workshop required in due course I should think :-/

64uby 23 July 2016 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by nikon-man (Post 11861069)
Welcome to the forum...

nice looking car but would like to see a nice pic of it not in the grass etc...LOL

have fun

Will have a clean up tomorrow and find somewhere for a good couple of snaps! (builders' about ATM so driveway was a bit scary for regular passing trade trucks!!!)

Matty81 23 July 2016 09:37 AM

Great looking car bud!

Ignore the haters! Your money spend it how you want to and enjoy!

64uby 23 July 2016 12:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nikon-man (Post 11861069)

Here's a couple more pics

Matty81 23 July 2016 12:49 PM

What does it drive like dude ? Any problem with engine light coming on ?

RAGGY DOO 23 July 2016 06:26 PM

Beautiful car I like a lot

64uby 24 July 2016 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11861111)
What does it drive like dude ? Any problem with engine light coming on ?

Drives awesome ... tried a 2013 plate while shopping but unfortunately for the bank balance this one was soooo much more fun, lighter steering, sharper brakes, so much go that I'm only just getting used to wrestling with it to stay in a straight line when you give it some go 0-60.

Yes slightly terrified of all the warnings about the engine in these but hoping the more regular oil changes suggested earlier on the thread and not completely thrashing it to death should go a good way towards avoiding the sound of new engine looming at any point soon!

Matty81 24 July 2016 05:12 PM

Sounds fantastic mate 👍🏻

Probably the same old story though with all engines! The more you modify it the more chance of engine problems

What is 310bhp ?

64uby 24 July 2016 05:46 PM

Only 296 bhp I think as standard. Not planning on modifying (yet!) though sound system may have to be fidgeted at some point as standard is pretty appalling.
On the down side, I took a friend for a spin today and now he's keen for one ... if it turns out more than talk I might have to maintain 10bhp over his in principle!!!

Matty81 24 July 2016 05:58 PM

Hahaha sounds like a mates bhp battle about to start! I've got a pioneer double din worth Apple play built in which is awesome...everything gets mirror' from my iPhone into the screen including Apple maps

The Trooper 1815 24 July 2016 11:36 PM

You could have gone for a more dynamic and faster Legacy, but I am biased.

64uby 25 July 2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11861489)
You could have gone for a more dynamic and faster Legacy, but I am biased.

Maybe when the fascination wears off but not promising in the slightest.
wrx is going to have to get used to carrying horse feed and a dog when it gets to winter which I think the legacy preferred!