ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Harvey trick up pipe (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1040326-harvey-trick-up-pipe.html)

Matty81 18 July 2016 09:07 PM

Harvey trick up pipe

Been hearing a lot of good things about how these Harvey trick up pipes. Anyone got any info on them and what kind of power gains I'd get out of one of these fitted to my wrx hatchback ?

joe v3sti 18 July 2016 09:56 PM

They are fantastic, to say they are tried and tested is an understatement. I ran my car on a larger artermarket up pipe originally, we swapped out for a Harvey Trick up pipe, after the map tweek, we were up on low down power and spool!
Unbelievable gains from a bolt on mod.
The quality is superb, hand made and in a different league to the chinease "eBay" specials

One of the great things about this product is they are avalible in different bolt patterns and sizes, so suit all applications. Standard and aftermarket headers. Used on standard cars right up to cars 500bhp and more.

As I said, a tried and tested upgrade, very good value

Speak to Alyn at AS Performance 0191 410 3770

imprezagaz 18 July 2016 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11859639)
Been hearing a lot of good things about how these Harvey trick up pipes. Anyone got any info on them and what kind of power gains I'd get out of one of these fitted to my wrx hatchback ?

I had the 2 bolt on mine and with ported headers you can tell the difference. I've just upgraded to gt spec and got the 3 bolt to match due to it being good before

Nick_Cat 19 July 2016 11:42 AM

Are these as effective on a classic?

Matty81 19 July 2016 03:51 PM

Oh okay that's good to know :)..is there a particular one to whatever car you own ie is a hatchback version of it different to a classic or do they generally just bolt on to all kinds of Impreza's ?

peter zippy reid 19 July 2016 04:20 PM

It will be matched to what turbo you have well worth it

Matty81 19 July 2016 07:12 PM

Ok mate cheers! Are they around the £150 mark ?

peter zippy reid 19 July 2016 07:13 PM

About that yes search for asperformance on here

Matty81 19 July 2016 07:15 PM

Ok mate cheers! Thanks for that

joz8968 19 July 2016 08:53 PM

If memory serves, I recall 139 sovs (not sure if that's with VAT)... Certainly for the 2-bolt, single-scroll jobbie, at any rate.

Matty81 19 July 2016 08:57 PM

What's the difference between a 2 bolt and 3 bolt mate ? Sorry for all the questions

joz8968 19 July 2016 09:02 PM

Some aftermarket headers employ a non-OEM, but more robust, 3-bolt pattern for the up-pipe's mating flange. Like RCM's and the 3-bolt version of the GT Spec2 ones.

So, unless you have a set of
3-bolt headers already on your car, then you'll need the regular 2-bolt trick up-pipe.

imprezagaz 19 July 2016 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Matty81 (Post 11859975)
What's the difference between a 2 bolt and 3 bolt mate ? Sorry for all the questions

3 bolt is for the gt spec headers and 2 bolt is the standard header size. I bought a 3 bolt last week for £165 and previous 2 bolt was about the same. Delivered

Matty81 19 July 2016 09:09 PM

I'm assuming I have a 2 bolt bolt header then! Don't quote me that but I don't know of anything else other than that being added when I bought the car 2 months ago

joz8968 19 July 2016 09:14 PM

Odds are, yes. In that you've no doubt got the original OEM exhaust set-up still on.

You can easily check, though... Just stick your head under the car, either forward or aft of the driver-side front wheel. You'll see the headers joint with the up-pipe...

imprezagaz 19 July 2016 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11859983)
Odds are, yes. In that you've no doubt got the original OEM exhaust set-up still on.

You can easily check, though... Just stick your head under the car, either forward or aft of the driver-side front wheel. You'll see the headers joint with the up-pipe...

Or a good upgrade on the other thread who is selling the gt spec headers and trick up pipe at a good price. Typical I've just bought the same new last week

Matty81 19 July 2016 09:19 PM

I currently have a mongoose full system up to the turbo mate

Matty81 19 July 2016 09:21 PM

Yeah I saw that actually earlier on, but wasn't sure on the fitting and whether it would fit mine to be honest

joz8968 19 July 2016 09:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OEM 2 bolt pattern:
Attachment 21099

3 bolt:
Attachment 21100

Go check...

Matty81 19 July 2016 09:30 PM

Ok mate I will do....you guys have been a great help

scoober101 21 July 2016 09:42 AM

I wish I'd known about these before I put my engine back in, doh!

Should you wrap the harvey pipe or leave it as it is? Ive read mixed things about wrapping as it can get covered in water, oil and road dirt etc?

Can the uppipe be installed without having to take the engine out?

imprezagaz 21 July 2016 10:12 AM

Yeah still can be done with the engine in. They come wrapped already. You won't get road dirt if you still have the engine guard still fitted

AS Performance 23 July 2016 09:48 AM

sorry dont get on here often, simply contact the offcie direct by email or call 0191-4103770 and they will sort a suited pipe to your requirements

scoober101 24 July 2016 09:27 PM

Ok, I managed to get the over sized Japspeed up pipe off after fitting it and putting the engine back in during a recent clutch change job. I wish I would of known the larger diameter Japspeed up pipes are not ideal before the engine went back in but hey ho, it wasnt actually too hard getting the up pipe out with the engine in situ.

One thing I do find odd though, after reading some guides and looking underneath the car, why do people opt to jack up the engine to give a little more room and squeeze the up pipe out from underneath!?! Its way, way easier just to unbolt the RH side exhaust manifold from the engine and the up pipe literally falls out! I attempted the 'jack up engine' method first and the engine did not seem very happy being forced upwards with the transmission still attached (yes I removed the engine mount nuts and the pitch stop thank you) and thought **** this, Im not putting my fingers in the small area where the up pipe lives when the jack is holding the engine up. Besides, even with the engine jacked up I could not see how the up pipe would come out past the exhaust manifold anyway so I abandoned that idea.

Ten minutes later, I had the up pipe out after removing the manifold which had 2 bolts holding it to the front centre exhaust manifold and 3 head stud nuts. Voila, easy peezie.

Yeah okay, Ive broken the gasket 'seal' but after cleaning up the faces, giving the studs and bolts a rub down and using new gaskets, this seems like a far more logical method to me.

Right on to my question lol...

I know these Harvey trick up pipes are considered to be very good but Im just curious to how they compare to the stock STI decated up pipe? The reason I removed the stock up pipe was because the heat shield had broken off and had been rattling. I had a Japspeed up pipe laying around so I - wrongly - installed that. Since finding out the Japspeed pipe is a bad idea, its been removed.

I removed the stock up pipe heat shield to get to the pipe underneath and compared it to photos of the Harvey trick up pipe and they do seem very similar, are they intended more for people with catted up pipes (WRX's) looking to go decat or are they also better than the stock STI decat pipes? I can see the stock pipe has a flexible bellow and does taper sharply to a smaller diameter at the very end of the pipe before the flange that mates with the turbo. The Harvey pipe has a double skinned slip joint and has a less aggressive taper towards the turbo flange. Overall pipe diameter seems the same.

At the mo, Im toying with the choice to go Harvey trick or stock STI pipe.

Either way, I unfortunately will not be heat wrapping the up pipe after reading horror stories of wrap being a fire hazard when hot spots form where there are gaps or weaknesses in the fabric, not to mention the wrap accelerates the degradation of the metal underneath as it cannot breathe and any oil, fluid, water, crud etc turns the heatwrap into a candle wick. Personally Id rather live with slightly higher temps in the engine bay.

uxon 10 July 2018 12:37 PM

Some qood question in the latest post. Doesn't anyone have answers to them?

Russell38 10 July 2018 02:50 PM

Maybe if the question wasn't from 2016

SmurfyBhoy 10 July 2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by uxon (Post 12017593)
Some qood question in the latest post. Doesn't anyone have answers to them?

What question HS vs STI up-pipe ?

I went from stock to Gt-Spec Headers & HS Up-pipe so not best back to back comparison.

AS Performance 12 July 2018 09:00 AM

there are differing specs of HS trick up-pipes to suit various applications............

rarely get time to answer individual forum queries as we are mega busy day to day so as previous post simply contact our office direct by email or call 0191-4103770