ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Completion date ! Moving after 35 years. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1040282-completion-date-moving-after-35-years.html)

jbl 17 July 2016 01:52 PM

Completion date ! Moving after 35 years.

For the first time in 35 years we are moving house.
Ours is sold, surveys all OK, legal and other people's finances OK, short chain.
We have been given a completion date of Friday 19th August.
Now this is my question.
Does it mean that on the 19th we have to have our removal van turn up to collect our belongings and later that day our buyer's van turns up to empty their's into our old house ? And likewise for us moving to our new home ? We arrive later on the Friday and have to empty the van. ?
We are not moving far, about 40 miles away and our buyer's are 20 miles away.
Just what happens on completion day !!!!
Cheers
Brian.

stevebt 17 July 2016 02:12 PM

Once you complete the house is no longer yours so unless you have a prior arrangement with the buyer for you to hold onto the house a little later you will have to be out.

David Lock 17 July 2016 02:29 PM

Phone up your removal firm and ask. They will know. For example they may load up your kit the day before and deliver to new house on completion day. That gives you more time and a chance to give your house a quick hoover up. You can do a lot yourselves and will find some good deals on cardboard boxes on line or removers will loan you some.. Garden centre will have rolls of bubble pack which is best for any treasured breakables. Movers won't take gas cylinders btw. Leave your buyers some flowers with a card, keeps relations sweet. Read meters! David

PS. You may end up sitting outside new house waiting for your solicitor to phone saying that they have got the funds and you can move in.

IainMilford 17 July 2016 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by jbl (Post 11859228)
Does it mean that on the 19th we have to have our removal van turn up to collect our belongings and later that day our buyer's van turns up to empty their's into our old house ? And likewise for us moving to our new home ? We arrive later on the Friday and have to empty the van. ?

Yep :thumb:

May seem a lot to stomach after 35 years but once the money has transferred like Steve said it is no longer yours. I moved last week, money transferred at 12.30, we finished packing and were gone just after 1pm, our vendors were naughty and held onto their keys until about 3pm. Removers gone by 5.30 with everything unloaded :thumb:

jbl 17 July 2016 09:02 PM

Thanks all, that was the info' I needed.
Cheers
Brian.

IainMilford 18 July 2016 06:55 AM

Best of luck :)

jods 21 July 2016 12:24 AM

Good luck. We moved into our new place in November last year. Still got about 30 boxes to unpack.