ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   2011 sti brake thickness (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1039927-2011-sti-brake-thickness.html)

ByByR1 05 July 2016 05:42 PM

2011 sti brake thickness

I have just collected my 2011 sti which both my wife and i really like. We've had lots of imprezas over the years and decided to get another. On checking my front discs tonight they have a massive ridge on the edge which I've measured at 2.1mm so effectively 4.2 reduction on the total width. I've also read that the minimum thickness should not go below 28mm but mine would measure just 25.8mm can anyone advise on this as i have bought it from a dealer so would be interested to see if i can get new disc out of them. I only got it last night 4th July. Any help would be much appreciated.

Godspeed Brakes 05 July 2016 06:24 PM

The disc new is 30mm with a minimum thickness of 28mm , so well under.
Cheers Ian

ByByR1 05 July 2016 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11855423)
The disc new is 30mm with a minimum thickness of 28mm , so well under.
Cheers Ian

Cheers Ian. Fingers crossed i can get new disc from the dealer.

ByByR1 07 July 2016 05:33 PM

They have said they dont need changing as the past the rolling road brake test for mot. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

Darrell@Scoobyworx 07 July 2016 06:58 PM

There own dealer recommendation is that they need changing when below 28mm. If you took the car in for a health check they would advise disc and pads to be changed.

Don't be fobbed off, if they were border line then you could say they have a point but if your measurements are correct they are well below their own recommended minimum thickness.

Darrell@Scoobyworx 07 July 2016 06:59 PM

You could take it to another dealer for a brake check and have dealer evidence that they need doing :)

ByByR1 07 July 2016 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx (Post 11856157)
You could take it to another dealer for a brake check and have dealer evidence that they need doing :)

Cheers Darrell, i might just take it to subaru for a check and see what they say. Much appreciated.

nikon-man 09 July 2016 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ByByR1 (Post 11856133)
They have said they dont need changing as the past the rolling road brake test for mot. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

when I took my WRX hatch for the MOT they had to take it out on the road to test the brakes and couldn't do them on the rolling road as it is an AWD system.... curious now who is right ????

Godspeed Brakes 09 July 2016 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by nikon-man (Post 11856895)
when I took my WRX hatch for the MOT they had to take it out on the road to test the brakes and couldn't do them on the rolling road as it is an AWD system.... curious now who is right ????

I missed that , they should NOT test the brakes on a rolling road , it should be done on the road , so they got that wrong as well.

They don't sound too sharp !

ByByR1 20 July 2016 08:06 PM

Finally got a new set of discs and pads from them, but it was a struggle.

stevie turbo 18 December 2017 08:00 PM

Hi do you still have the spoiler and grill.and can you confirm the spoiler will fit a 2011 sti sedan