ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   Hawk upgrade advice (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/1039735-hawk-upgrade-advice.html)

David__H 28 June 2016 08:38 PM

Hawk upgrade advice

Fellas,

The next job on my upgrade plan for my 2007 Hawk STi is the audio. The car's currently fitted with the standard system (bloody tape drive!! and sounds awful compared to the Logic 7 13-speaker system fitted to my previous car (335i).

Problem is, I know next to feck all about sound systems. Defo, I'm gonna be changing the head unit and front speakers. From a little reading it sounds like upgrading the rear speakers could be tricky?

I must say, i'm against having a subwoofer in the boot. I use that space a lot. The under seat options sound like a good compromise. The Beemer had them under the front seats and had enough bass for me.

Is 500 quid a good budget?

David__H 28 June 2016 11:23 PM

Update - after a lot of reading, I think I'll live with a speaker upgrade and plug in an HU with a decent internal amp.

cuprajake 28 June 2016 11:51 PM

You can get some very good slim line components, id amp the fronts and use a good headunit

G10 29 June 2016 12:17 AM

How did you find going from a 335i to an sti, in terms of a 'driver's' choice? I've often wondered if the 335i is a better car.
Thanks

David__H 29 June 2016 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11852415)
You can get some very good slim line components, id amp the fronts and use a good headunit

If you only amp the fronts, don't you end up with an imbalance with the rears?

David__H 29 June 2016 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by G10 (Post 11852418)
How did you find going from a 335i to an sti, in terms of a 'driver's' choice? I've often wondered if the 335i is a better car.
Thanks

Driver's choice? No contest whatsoever. Scooby wins easily. Matter of fact, I was gonna buy an E92 M3 after my 335i. When I test drove one I thought it put everything right that was wrong with the 335i. However, I drove an RB320 back-to-back against the M3. Climbing out of the RB320 and into the M3, the M3 felt like a heavy bus. There was none of the excitement that the Impreza delivered. No doubt the M3 is a very, very good car, beautifully made and quick, but if you want fun, stick with an Impreza.

Now, the new M2, on the otherhand........

cuprajake 29 June 2016 06:41 PM

Depends the rears are only 4" so not amazing to start with lol

jonnyboy82 29 June 2016 08:47 PM

Personally l wouldn't even bother with the rears. Just set the fader to front speakers. Your the one who's going to spend most of the time driving so you need the sounds up front. I have had all my cars set up this way.

David__H 29 June 2016 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyboy82 (Post 11852750)
Personally l wouldn't even bother with the rears. Just set the fader to front speakers. Your the one who's going to spend most of the time driving so you need the sounds up front. I have had all my cars set up this way.

I wondered if I should mount some speakers in the parcel shelf and extend the wiring from the rear speakers to power them. Sounds like concentrate on the front of the car is the way forwards, then do a further upgrade if I want more.

jonnyboy82 29 June 2016 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by David__H
I wondered if I should mount some speakers in the parcel shelf and extend the wiring from the rear speakers to power them. Sounds like concentrate on the front of the car is the way forwards, then do a further upgrade if I want more.

Go with the fronts get a nice amp to power them and I'm pretty sure you will be more than happy with the outcome!

G10 29 June 2016 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by David__H (Post 11852665)
No doubt the M3 is a very, very good car, beautifully made and quick, but if you want fun, stick with an Impreza.

Thanks pal, having never driven an M3, but like the idea of it, you put my mind at rest. Good luck with the sound system.

David__H 30 June 2016 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyboy82 (Post 11852815)
Go with the fronts get a nice amp to power them and I'm pretty sure you will be more than happy with the outcome!

Yup. Gonna take your advice. Thank you.:thumb:

cuprajake 30 June 2016 01:48 AM

Id say dynamat the door aswell, will make a massive difference.

jonnyboy82 30 June 2016 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by cuprajake
Id say dynamat the door aswell, will make a massive difference.

100%

David__H 30 June 2016 11:20 PM

Trying to work out if I should go with coaxial speakers in the front, ie ditch the stock tweeters or just change the speaker for a better component one. Are the stock tweeters worth changing if sticking with components?

cuprajake 30 June 2016 11:23 PM

Components. Any day.