ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   David Cameron has resigned (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1039585-david-cameron-has-resigned.html)

pimmo2000 24 June 2016 08:58 AM

David Cameron has resigned

I know we have a huge thread on EU stuff, but this is pretty big news ..

:confused: is it good or bad though?

neil-h 24 June 2016 09:08 AM

Nothing quite like throwing more uncertainty into the pot. :lol1:

Then of course we'll probably get Boris by proxy, wonderful...

albob 24 June 2016 10:01 AM

He is not going until October - but he really didn't have any other choice.

sincerely hope we don't get Boris..

Martin2005 24 June 2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by albob (Post 11850044)
He is not going until October - but he really didn't have any other choice.

sincerely hope we don't get Boris..

Amen to that

Osimabu 24 June 2016 10:16 AM

Oh No, I agree with Martin, again!

Tricky to think who would be right for the job though. I'd be interested to see how Tim Martin (no pun intended) of Wetherspoons would get on were he eligible to stand.

JDM_Stig 24 June 2016 10:17 AM

Just heard his resignation speech, how can he try and say the coalition was a plus thing, he had to take it as he hadnt enough votes to win outright, so actually showed how poor he has been in the past. .

Geezer 24 June 2016 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11850057)
Just heard his resignation speech, how can he try and say the coalition was a plus thing, he had to take it as he hadnt enough votes to win outright, so actually showed how poor he has been in the past. .

I think he was saying that it shows politicians can work together for the greater good of the country, albeit painfully. I agree with him.

It can't have been that bad, they did overwhelmingly vote him in on the next election.

Funkii Munkii 24 June 2016 10:38 AM

Shame he's going but at least he's doing the right thing, he had to stand by his conviction so he has to be applauded for resigning, many many others wouldn't have.

Gove scares me though, like a conservative BLiar

Paben 24 June 2016 10:48 AM

I'm sorry he is going as he has done a pretty decent job, but the result leaves him little choice. Who's next in line? No idea.

jods 24 June 2016 10:56 AM

My vote is for Boris

warrenm2 24 June 2016 11:10 AM

I don't have a vote (not being a Tory), but I would avoid Boris personally. Much rather have Gove, but looks unlikely he will stand

alcazar 24 June 2016 11:15 AM

Been one of our worst PM's, out of touch with Joe Public, lies lies lies, and arrogance to boot.

Good riddance. And he wants to take that smarmy cnut Osborne with him.

Replacement? It won't be Boris. MIGHT be Gove but I tend to think not.

Funkii Munkii 24 June 2016 11:27 AM

Who was the last PM that was in touch with Joe public ?? none of them are or ever will be

to answer my own question, probably Winston Churchill

stilover 24 June 2016 11:49 AM

People criticise Boris as a bumbling fool.

He's quite intelligent, and during this EU referendum, has come across as a man who passionately believes in Britain. A Britain who is stronger making it's own laws and trade deals.

I for one would like to see someone with such passion in charge and leading this country down the right path.

It won't happen, but I'd like to see Farage involved somehow.

EddScott 24 June 2016 12:01 PM

Shame he's gone. I personally don't think he had to or perhaps should do as it throws another spanner in the works as to who comes next.

As stilover says, Boris hides his intelligence behind a bumbling toff persona. He may not be "that" bad.

Donald Trump may get into the White House so it may appear to be bring on the political clowns but Trump will likely have a good team behind him and they'll tell him what to do and say. They've done it before with Reagan and the US loved him.

warrenm2 24 June 2016 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 11850109)
He's quite intelligent, and during this EU referendum, has come across as a man who passionately believes in Britain.

So passionate that he left it to the last minute to decide which way the wind was blowing before declaring. Not your typical patriot....

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 11850109)
It won't happen, but I'd like to see Farage involved somehow.

Its fairly common knowledge that Farage wasn't intending to fight the 2020 general election, so not sure that will happen. Over the next two years would most likely be involving in setting up a deal with the EU, then I think he'll retire

neil-h 24 June 2016 12:13 PM

I see several Labour MPs have also started the ball rolling to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn...

^Qwerty^ 24 June 2016 12:30 PM

I expect David Davis to pop up again. He's been very quiet for a while since he got put on the naughty step and hasn't made much noise during the in/out campaign. Might make him ideal to take things forward. Just a hunch.

njkmrs 24 June 2016 12:35 PM

Oiiii Cameron,
Make sure you cancel that Direct Debit to the EU.
Today.....!

RS_Matt 24 June 2016 01:16 PM

Great news. Boris, the stage is set for you....

stilover 24 June 2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^ (Post 11850127)
I expect David Davis to pop up again. He's been very quiet for a while since he got put on the naughty step and hasn't made much noise during the in/out campaign. Might make him ideal to take things forward. Just a hunch.

You could be right. Always thought he spoke quite a lot of common sense, came over as articulate, and would make a good PM.

stilover 24 June 2016 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11850116)
So passionate that he left it to the last minute to decide which way the wind was blowing before declaring. Not your typical patriot....

When did he make his mind up? Last Tuesday?

BMWhere? 24 June 2016 03:02 PM

He couldn't realistically stay on as prime minister after this!

In the same way that Gordon Brown was never accepted as a prime minister without the public vote, the same is also true for Cameron's successor. They need to do the decent thing like John Major did and call an early general election and get the public's approval before going forward! Perhaps the Conservatives are the wrong party to lead us forward post Brexit!

The sad thing is, the longer the delay, then the longer the uncertainty and the more damage could be done to the economy. A bit of a catch 22 really! :confused:

stilover 24 June 2016 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by BMWhere? (Post 11850191)
Perhaps the Conservatives are the wrong party to lead us forward post Brexit!

F*ck'in hell, don't say Labour are? :facepalm: :brickwall

You'll go right down in my estimations if you are?.

Not that they were very high to begin with. ;)

mart360 24 June 2016 05:30 PM

I watched Dimbleby interview Daniel Hannan this morning as the results were being announced.

He was being pushed to answer questions about the £350 mill, and the guy

was totally unfazed. Measured thought out answers that closed Mr D right down.

I thought then, he would be a good choice to lead the campaign forward

mart :)

fat-thomas 24 June 2016 05:37 PM

Fcuk him I say he got to power by promising a referendum he thought he would win by ignoring the working man.
If he actually addressed the issues they had with immigration rather than ignoring they wouldn't have risen up on mass to vote out and kick him square up his pompous arse.

ALi-B 24 June 2016 06:47 PM

He was going anyway...he announced he'd resign as PM after the 2015 elections, so why is this news? All he's done is given a date confirming it.

joz8968 24 June 2016 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
He was going anyway...he announced he'd resign as PM after the 2015 elections...

Indeed. I remember his opponents at the time saying it was an arrogant thing to say.

madscoob 24 June 2016 07:11 PM

i heard he starts 1st november new job
EU PORK INSPECTOR :norty:

Turbohot 24 June 2016 07:55 PM

I feel sad for Camo. He looked as if he was holding back his tears. His missus also looked so sad and took his arm with heavy heart while exiting the scene with him. Life of a politician, eh. One minute you're up there; shouting your head off, giving everyone a ear ache, and next minute you're down. Good luck to him for his future, anyway.

Then we have Boris. He looked awfully nervous while giving his speech. His bubble has been seriously punctured, man. He may have to move out of London before the London public punctures his tyres.

Then we have that Farage frog face who wants today to become a bank holiday. :o How embarrassing is that! Typical specimen and a representative of the work shy. :freak3: I don't know how the likes of him will get on without the hard working foreigners.

Then we have Mr. Corbyn. Sorry, but I don't think their campaigning was up to the mark. That's regardless of everything else that might be wrong with his leadership, in his party's eyes.

Where's that Gove bloke hiding? :confused: He hasn't uttered a word! May be he's not quiet. Perhaps I've missed his cheesy speech. Been busy working.