ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Won't start after wash (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1039306-wont-start-after-wash.html)

dynaudiofocus 13 June 2016 07:54 PM

Won't start after wash

Can someone please help me,my car has NEVER missed a beat and was running perfect,powerful and then I washed it and now it won't run,hardly starts and when it does it's well lumpy and won't Rev up.it will only tickover if I keep pumping the throttle too.i was literally about to sell it too hence me washing it!!

merlin24 13 June 2016 08:10 PM

A tin of WD40 would be your best friend right now - spray all your electrical connectors/coil packs etc etc and check you haven't drowned your air filter/MAF

dynaudiofocus 13 June 2016 08:13 PM

tried that already mate.IF this is water related do you think it will eventually dry itself out?if for example something has got wet that I can't physically get to with wd40

nortonscooby 13 June 2016 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dynaudiofocus (Post 11845587)
tried that already mate.IF this is water related do you think it will eventually dry itself out?if for example something has got wet that I can't physically get to with wd40

When you say washed it how do you mean? Did u jet wash under the bonnet? Hopefully you might of got something damp and it may dry out

dynaudiofocus 13 June 2016 08:37 PM

Well I had a guy coming with a bag containing £7k cash and so keen he even insured the car already!even had a 1 way train ticket So I panicked and quickly washed the car and normally use a pressure washer but as I didn't have time I get it all out so just washed it and then used buckets of water and kept chuckin buckets of water over it to
Rinse it off and water has obviously got in throught the big scoop on the front.it can't be anything else
Surely as it was running pukka before the wash

jazzyjembreaze 13 June 2016 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 33107

JDM_Stig 13 June 2016 11:46 PM

cone filter fitted ?

dynaudiofocus 13 June 2016 11:53 PM

nope,

dynaudiofocus 13 June 2016 11:55 PM

Only mods is vf34 turbo,injectors,intercooler,decats,exhaust and remap

53 14 June 2016 12:19 AM

How much for the vf34 :D

dynaudiofocus 14 June 2016 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 11845700)
How much for the vf34 :D

Haha the turbo has only seen 10k miles so far

Guesty 14 June 2016 09:17 AM

Not good mate could be anything really just a case of drying it out does it turn over ?

dynaudiofocus 14 June 2016 09:22 AM

yeah turns over,sometimes it will fire and if your quick and keep gently pumping the throttle it will sort of tick over but it's lumpy,popping,missing sound like a v8 lol

Cambs_Stuart 14 June 2016 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dynaudiofocus (Post 11845764)
yeah turns over,sometimes it will fire and if your quick and keep gently pumping the throttle it will sort of tick over but it's lumpy,popping,missing sound like a v8 lol

It could be a load of things but I'd start with the basics. Has the battery got wet? Are the coil packs ok? Are you getting a decent spark?

dynaudiofocus 14 June 2016 10:05 AM

Well everything seems dry under the bonnet.i may have to take things further and start taking things apart and do what u said and check if I have a decent spark

Guesty 14 June 2016 10:32 AM

Seems like water go into where sparks are too me affecting the way it sparks and making it miss

Cambs_Stuart 14 June 2016 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Guesty (Post 11845793)
Seems like water go into where sparks are too me affecting the way it sparks and making it miss

A quick check may be to have a look in the fuse box and see if anything in there is damp.

scooby k 14 June 2016 12:03 PM

My golf had this problem where it would rain and the car would struggle to start up. Turned it it needed a new ignition coil pack.

Might wana check that out on your scoob.

JDM_Stig 14 June 2016 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Guesty (Post 11845793)

you do reallise that its a Scoob with horizontally mounted plugs, unlike a typical 4 pot where water can fill around the plugs, its pretty damn hard to do this imo on a scooby.

dynaudiofocus 14 June 2016 12:42 PM

Well in this model it uses 4 single coils rather than 1 pack that branches of into 4 so that kinda rules out them as having 4 coils die at the same time seems unlikely and getting all 4 wet seems unlikely as there so far apart and in different sides.and convincing myself it's not the coils because they are £124 each 😬

Cambs_Stuart 14 June 2016 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dynaudiofocus (Post 11845829)
Well in this model it uses 4 single coils rather than 1 pack that branches of into 4 so that kinda rules out them as having 4 coils die at the same time seems unlikely and getting all 4 wet seems unlikely as there so far apart and in different sides.and convincing myself it's not the coils because they are £124 each 😬

But it could be one coil or the coils on one side. You can also get the cheaper from Matty at MB developments.

SwissTony 14 June 2016 02:01 PM

You can "technically" with some care jet wash your engine as long as you pay particular attention to alternator, filter ( if cone), intercooler and battery.
Anything else is pretty water resistant ( resistant to gentle or indirect water pressure) but all of them will not like huge bucket loads of water being chucked at them. Thing is , if like you say, you did this with bonnet closed then very little is accessible or visible only via the scoop. The only item that could be affected is the intercooler. But then it would be a case of bent fins.

So not sure how you managed this to be honest

dynaudiofocus 14 June 2016 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 11845849)
You can "technically" with some care jet wash your engine as long as you pay particular attention to alternator, filter ( if cone), intercooler and battery.
Anything else is pretty water resistant ( resistant to gentle or indirect water pressure) but all of them will not like huge bucket loads of water being chucked at them. Thing is , if like you say, you did this with bonnet closed then very little is accessible or visible only via the scoop. The only item that could be affected is the intercooler. But then it would be a case of bent fins.

So not sure how you managed this to be honest

Well I am only assuming it's failed due to car wash as I've read before that is possible.maybe it is just a coincidence that something should randomly fail over night with no use before the bloke came to buy it.or maybe my car just don't want to leave me lol.

SwissTony 14 June 2016 03:26 PM

well i used to live near stowmarket and I cant recall the water being any different or heavier than normal water :D

So fess up and explain that you washed it with bonnet open :)

dynaudiofocus 14 June 2016 05:19 PM

https://youtu.be/aRMmyrRvtJU

cuprajake 14 June 2016 05:20 PM

ecu is in the passanger kick panel, pull teh carpet back and make sure its not wet,

ian.e 14 June 2016 08:37 PM

Make sure your cam sensor connection is dry. I had all sorts of struggling to start, popping and farting when it got soaked once. :thumb: