ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Dash cams (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1039092-dash-cams.html)

Guesty 08 June 2016 09:17 PM

Dash cams

Can anyone recommend a good dash camera?.
I drive a company van everyday the scoobys my toy just wanting a dash cam but ive seen so many bad ones about cheap and bad pictures

Looking for advice on a decent one

Cheers dave

myblackwrx 08 June 2016 09:49 PM

Blackvue are really good imo but they aren't cheap

https://www.blackvue.co.uk/

Worth looking on Amazon for deals though.

BoozyDave 08 June 2016 10:39 PM

I've just wasted 3 minutes waiting for a 'near miss' and didn't see one :cuckoo:
Poor driving, but no 'near accident' moments

The blackvue is a good camera, always gets good reviews. I've never used one, so can't comment on quality, ease of use

I used an app called 'autoguard pro' for a couple of years (only £1.79p) and the footage is fine

squares are to show I can turn right in my lane

and footage from my dedicated transcend drivepro 200

White insignia passes 3 cars and goes through red light

harry007 08 June 2016 11:42 PM

Blackvue is the way forward. I have front and back cameras for all the cars at home. Its the best solution and good for security. Will never own a car without them now.

myblackwrx 08 June 2016 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11843328)
I've just wasted 3 minutes waiting for a 'near miss' and didn't see one :cuckoo:
Poor driving, but no 'near accident' moments

No where in the title or description does it say 'near miss or near accident compilation' so why did you expect to see one?

scot1888 09 June 2016 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 11843357)
No where in the title or description does it say 'near miss or near accident compilation' so why did you expect to see one?

I think he was referring to the video he posted up.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 09 June 2016 11:31 AM

K1S

Dual camera, one control module. I've hooked mine up to SatNav screen & use it for towing

Very discrete too

LSherratt 09 June 2016 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No need to spend £200+ on a Blackvue.

After a lot of research/reading reviews, I bought a dash cam called "A118C". £42 posted from an eBay seller. Lots of reviews on Amazon for it too.

It's very small, cheap, and works well. Sound quality is very good too. I also bought a hardwire kit which I fitted myself which IMO is a must. It's very tidy indeed.

Here's some 5 minute footage for you to have a look at to see the quality which I've uploaded.

Attachment 33295

hardcoreimpreza 09 June 2016 12:00 PM

Got loads on my watch list. I have used my phone aswell using phone holder.

LSherratt 09 June 2016 12:08 PM

With a hardwire kit and piggy-back fuse you can just forget about it. No faffing about with a mobile or anything or worrying about battery. Comes on automatically and starts recording when you turn the ignition.

JDM_Stig 09 June 2016 03:50 PM

try using the Search function, this Topic comes up every month or so . . .

fat-thomas 09 June 2016 05:02 PM

I have a transcend drive pro 220.
Very good with gps etc.

hodgy0_2 09 June 2016 06:22 PM

I wonder if insurance co will make this mandatory for any sort of discount

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11843466)
With a hardwire kit and piggy-back fuse you can just forget about it. No faffing about with a mobile or anything or worrying about battery. Comes on automatically and starts recording when you turn the ignition.

I use an app on my phone and the quality is as good as the camera will allow (1080p) and although it's a faf remembering to turn it on everytime , it means i can jump in and out of van and car , don't need to worry someone might knick it (suprised there isn't more reports of thefts , like if you left a satnav in your car) and anything interesting gets uploaded to youtube with a push of a button.

I have a cheap one from Tesco for the van but the quality is dire. I'm reluctant to buy an expensive one for the van as it's not my van , and I'm rarely in my car so don't want one for it either !

Is there one that's easy to remove and swap between vehicles , as in buy 2 hard wire kits and just swap the unit over ?

fat-thomas 09 June 2016 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11843611)
I use an app on my phone and the quality is as good as the camera will allow (1080p) and although it's a faf remembering to turn it on everytime , it means i can jump in and out of van and car , don't need to worry someone might knick it (suprised there isn't more reports of thefts , like if you left a satnav in your car) and anything interesting gets uploaded to youtube with a push of a button.

I have a cheap one from Tesco for the van but the quality is dire. I'm reluctant to buy an expensive one for the van as it's not my van , and I'm rarely in my car so don't want one for it either !

Is there one that's easy to remove and swap between vehicles , as in buy 2 hard wire kits and just swap the unit over ?

Yes transcend cameras are easily removed from the mounts via a clip so you just need two mounts

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11843614)
Yes transcend cameras are easily removed from the mounts via a clip so you just need two mounts

Is this it ? Not bad for £100 ish , Or what did you pay ?

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&a...w8IJCgA&adurl=

fat-thomas 09 June 2016 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11843618)
Is this it ? Not bad for £100 ish , Or what did you pay ?

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&a...w8IJCgA&adurl=

Yes that's it
If you hardwire it in it runs from the ignition and you don't need to do a thing

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11843621)
Yes that's it
If you hardwire it in it runs from the ignition and you don't need to do a thing

Just watched a review vid , looks pretty good ! Not bothered about hard wiring the van (don't mind the cable hanging, and as said it's not my van) but would like the car wired in. I assume the supplied cig lighter lead is long enough to go the long way round the windscreen to in front of gearstick ? If not then I'd think of wiring it properly. Also the review said it comes with a 16gb card , did yours ?

fat-thomas 09 June 2016 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11843628)
Just watched a review vid , looks pretty good ! Not bothered about hard wiring the van (don't mind the cable hanging, and as said it's not my van) but would like the car wired in. I assume the supplied cig lighter lead is long enough to go the long way round the windscreen to in front of gearstick ? If not then I'd think of wiring it properly. Also the review said it comes with a 16gb card , did yours ?

yep it came with a memory card, its obviously powered by a 12v socket.
the wire is usb d i think.

i bought a 3m usb d cable and ran it under roof lining and down the pillar to the fusebox and used a piggy back fuse so it powers up and down on the ignition.

i leave it in all the time and never touch it.

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 08:33 PM

Cool. Found one on ebay for 98quid , then halfords do the mounts for 7 quid. Daughter now has something to buy me for Fathers Day (probably the windscreen mount lol)
Cig lighter will do me for the car if its long enough to be hidden, if not i will look into splicing into the fuse box.

fat-thomas 09 June 2016 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11843656)
Cool. Found one on ebay for 98quid , then halfords do the mounts for 7 quid. Daughter now has something to buy me for Fathers Day (probably the windscreen mount lol)
Cig lighter will do me for the car if its long enough to be hidden, if not i will look into splicing into the fuse box.

the cable included is fecking huge,more than you will need

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11843659)
the cable included is fecking huge,more than you will need

Good job. The one on my cheapy is long , but not enough to go right round. It'll be handy as it looks the same type of lead so it can stay in the van and the proper one will do the car.

The mobile app is good though considering its free. (The info displays in app playback , just not on uploads to youtube etc.)

lozgti1 09 June 2016 09:10 PM

Find the whole dash cam,weird lycra wearing people helmet cam thing utterly creepy,nasty and downright weird.Dying for an accident or row to happen.

Utterly creepy.More for the #shudder# lycra weirdos than anyone.Desperate for a row as stated:(

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 09 June 2016 09:11 PM

Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for a wide range of approved in-car cameras.
See below if you'd like any further details.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/dash-cam-insurance/
Regards,
Dan.

BoozyDave 09 June 2016 10:12 PM

Dan, I notified flux that I had a dashcam, the lass I spoke to just dismissed it and didn't give me a discount :mad::mad::mad:

Dan, speeding up the process!!!! Yeah right :cuckoo:
I had a bump in June 2015 and sent you the footage, his insurance accepted liability the month after. All sorted you might say.....erm, NO! This is still dragging on and it is going to court in November. NOVEMBER FOR F*CKS SAKE!!!!! 18 months to sort out :cuckoo:

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11843684)
Find the whole dash cam,weird lycra wearing people helmet cam thing utterly creepy,nasty and downright weird.Dying for an accident or row to happen.

Utterly creepy.More for the #shudder# lycra weirdos than anyone.Desperate for a row as stated:(

I have mine as i drive about for work and have loads of near misses every day. The way insurance seems to work these days it can go 50/50 quite easily if there's no proof of blame , which would annoy me grately if it 100% wasn't my fault.
If i see something worth uploading i will , but wouldn't go "looking" for it.

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11843714)
Dan, I notified flux that I had a dashcam, the lass I spoke to just dismissed it and didn't give me a discount :mad::mad::mad:

Dan, speeding up the process!!!! Yeah right :cuckoo:
I had a bump in June 2015 and sent you the footage, his insurance accepted liability the month after. All sorted you might say.....erm, NO! This is still dragging on and it is going to court in November. NOVEMBER FOR F*CKS SAKE!!!!! 18 months to sort out :cuckoo:

Exactly why i have a dashcam , imagine the hell you'd be going through if you didn't have evidence, if that's what happens when you do have it ! Mental.

BoozyDave 09 June 2016 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11843611)

I used an app for a couple of years before I bought a dedicated dashcam.
Autoguard has a free version, and the pro version is only £1.79p.

Even if people use the app until they get a dashcam, it could save them a lot of time, hassle and money. It costs less than a costa coffee

CharlySkunkWeed 09 June 2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11843719)
I used an app for a couple of years before I bought a dedicated dashcam.
Autoguard has a free version, and the pro version is only £1.79p.

Even if people use the app until they get a dashcam, it could save them a lot of time, hassle and money. It costs less than a costa coffee

Autoboy Blackbox is the App i have , works well and is free.

BoozyDave 09 June 2016 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11843606)
I wonder if insurance co will make this mandatory for any sort of discount

I think a dashcam will be mandatory in the next 10 years

My driving is a good standard and I have no issue using one. If I missed something and caused and accident, I would still supply the footage to show what happened. If I caused the accident, I wouldn't expect the innocent driver to pay the excess and lose NCB because of my mistake