ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What am I doing wrong? Axle bolt (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1038918-what-am-i-doing-wrong-axle-bolt.html)

tomk86 02 June 2016 02:46 PM

What am I doing wrong? Axle bolt

Front n.s axle bolt just will not come off.
Tried extended breaker bar
Tried air gun
Tried foul language.

It's a 93 classic wrx

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

BrownPantsRacing 02 June 2016 04:37 PM

It's a normal right hand thread so hopefully you'll be trying the normal anti-clockwise direction to undo it?

If all else fails, car back on the ground with wheel back on, full weight on the wheel, centre cap off so you can put the breaker socket through the wheel onto the hub nut and then a HUGE breaker bar with scaffold tube on the end!

Good luck!

Worst case, you may have to use a torch to heat the nut up a little.

tomk86 02 June 2016 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11841056)
It's a normal right hand thread so hopefully you'll be trying the normal anti-clockwise direction to undo it?

If all else fails, car back on the ground with wheel back on, full weight on the wheel, centre cap off so you can put the breaker socket through the wheel onto the hub nut and then a HUGE breaker bar with scaffold tube on the end!

Good luck!

Worst case, you may have to use a torch to heat the nut up a little.

thank you so much for your reply :notworthy

i am going to get the oxygen tank out and give it a whack with the heat.

again thank you i seriously did not think of that :luxhello:

BrownPantsRacing 02 June 2016 09:28 PM

Good luck. Hope you sort it. If it comes to it you could get a grinder to both sides of the nut as close as you dare to the axle threads then hammer the nut. Should split and unthread easily once split open.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Use copper grease on all the threads when you put it back together.

tomk86 03 June 2016 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=BrownPantsRacing;11841135]Good luck. Hope you sort it. If it comes to it you could get a grinder to both sides of the nut as close as you dare to the axle threads then hammer the nut. Should split and unthread easily once split open.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Use copper grease on all the threads when you put it back together.[/QUOTE

It's off!!!! The little barstid succomed to some heat!!!

Thanks so much for all the help :)

ALi-B 03 June 2016 05:20 PM

We have two impact wrenches at work; One for usual stuff which goes to about 250- 300lbft and a powerful bastid that does about 400lb/ft...I'm yet to have the latter let me down on driveshaft bolts/nuts. It has failed on crank pulley bolts though (Honda D16s usually :( )

Just saying that not all impact wrenches are the same, and they do lose their power as they get older and more worn.

BrownPantsRacing 03 June 2016 09:32 PM

Glad you got it off!

My powerful windy gun even failed on my VW beetle clutch bolt. I ended up using a HUGE breaker bar with a scaffold tube! :)