ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Buying an Imported car!! Geiger Müller-detector? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1038735-buying-an-imported-car-geiger-m-ller-detector.html)

555gc8 29 May 2016 08:46 AM

Buying an Imported car!! Geiger Müller-detector?

Interesting read if your buying an import since the Fukushima incident, makes you wonder what your buying from Japan and what slips through the ports untested.

Out for a spirited drive on a summers day, aircon blasting away Geiger Müller in one hand Apexi commander in the other.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q10792.html

The Trooper 1815 29 May 2016 09:32 AM

I love it when people share sh@t.
2013, not very relevant and all exported cars from Japan are checked. Run a Geiger Mullër tube over any electro luminescent equipment, even your watch and you would panic.
I bet all the GTR and Lexus drivers are poohing their pants!

neil-h 29 May 2016 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 555gc8 (Post 11839326)
Interesting read if your buying an import since the Fukushima incident, makes you wonder what your buying from Japan and what slips through the ports untested.

Out for a spirited drive on a summers day, aircon blasting away Geiger Müller in one hand Apexi commander in the other.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q10792.html

Begs to ask the questions, 1. how are you on a spirited drive whilst holding one item in each hand and 2. is the Apexi commander not an ECU? In which case why is it in your hand?

That aside, it's not really anything to worry about.

ossett2k2 29 May 2016 05:23 PM

Will a spot of radiation improve my MPG? :)

Zuber 29 May 2016 06:33 PM

adds 15 BHP

fat-thomas 29 May 2016 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11839567)
Will a spot of radiation improve my MPG? :)

dont tell arSE matt he will dip his wrx in plutonium

jayallen 29 May 2016 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11839562)
is the Apexi commander not an ECU? In which case why is it in your hand?

No it's not an ecu.

neil-h 29 May 2016 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11839592)
dont tell arSE matt he will did his wrx in plutonium

Think we should start it as a rumour and see how long it takes for the members on SIOC to suffer radiation poisoning.

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11839593)
No it's not an ecu.

Ahhhh it's some sorta controller, what was I thinking of then?

That being said, the original(ish) point still stands. Why/how would he be on a spirited drive whilst holding it.

ossett2k2 29 May 2016 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11839621)

That being said, the original(ish) point still stands. Why/how would he be on a spirited drive whilst holding it.

When wrx dipped in plutonium then you grow extra arms :thumb:

555gc8 29 May 2016 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11839340)
I love it when people share sh@t.
2013, not very relevant and all exported cars from Japan are checked. Run a Geiger Mullër tube over any electro luminescent equipment, even your watch and you would panic.
I bet all the GTR and Lexus drivers are poohing their pants!

They could end up poohing their pants uncontrollably, I wouldn't take the chance and risk my children's health.
What's 2013 about?

http://fukushima-diary.com/2011/12/t...taminated-car/

neil-h 29 May 2016 09:18 PM

I wouldn't get too excited. The dose rates they mention in that article aren't that high. It's no worse than going on a long haul flight.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 29 May 2016 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11839592)
dont tell arSE matt he will dip his wrx in plutonium

And when its gets to 88mph, all hell will break loose.....:luxhello:

555gc8 29 May 2016 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11839678)
I wouldn't get too excited. The dose rates they mention in that article aren't that high. It's no worse than going on a long haul flight.

What about this one?

I considered importing myself untill i was warned from a mate who deals in cars out there, about a pattern happening from auction house to auction house, i followed many high grade cars at auction houses near Fukushima and they didn't sell no one was bidding on them for obvious reasons, many of them turned up again 1000/2000 miles away several days later from that zone into other auction house's where testing was relaxed.

neil-h 30 May 2016 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 555gc8 (Post 11839710)
What about this one?

I considered importing myself untill i was warned from a mate who deals in cars out there, about a pattern happening from auction house to auction house, i followed many high grade cars at auction houses near Fukushima and they didn't sell no one was bidding on them for obvious reasons, many of them turned up again 1000/2000 miles away several days later from that zone into other auction house's where testing was relaxed.

That's the article I was talking about.

Either way, decontaminating a car shouldn't be all that difficult.

555gc8 30 May 2016 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11839781)

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11839781)

Yeah clay bar and quick detail should sort it, don't forget all the nooks and crannies, if it was easy to decontaminate other countries wouldn't reject them.

Many Jap imports have arrived here in the UK untested on this side for contamination, then sold on, I hear they glow at night too!

JGlanzaV 30 May 2016 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 555gc8 (Post 11839933)
Yeah clay bar and quick detail should sort it, don't forget all the nooks and crannies, if it was easy to decontaminate other countries wouldn't reject them.

Many Jap imports have arrived here in the UK untested on this side for contamination, then sold on, I hear they glow at night too!

Hi RS_MATT :luxhello:

The Trooper 1815 30 May 2016 09:29 PM

What about all the 'normal' imports?

53 30 May 2016 09:33 PM

Were the grandparents immune :p

neil-h 31 May 2016 11:31 AM

Get a grip :lol1: we're only talking surface contamination (not activation through neutron bombardment or similar), so the decontamination process really isn't all that involved. A good scrub down with Cillet bang (no really, look it up) and replacing all the filters should do it.

As for other countries rejecting contaminated cars, radioactive materials transport regulations place all the responsibility on the sender. So if something turns up that's found to be radioactive (that shouldn't be) then of course it will be rejected at the point of entry to the country.

scoobyabs 31 May 2016 01:16 PM

My understanding is that all used cars are checked for radiation before export.

If a used car has high levels of radiation they are not allowed to leave Japan.

It is not possible for a used car to leave Japan with out having radiation checks carried out.

The Japanese government does not want its exports to get a bad name around the world, so strict checks are in place.

The Trooper 1815 31 May 2016 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyabs (Post 11840187)
My understanding is that all used cars are checked for radiation before export.

If a used car has high levels of radiation they are not allowed to leave Japan.

It is not possible for a used car to leave Japan with out having radiation checks carried out.

The Japanese government does not want its exports to get a bad name around the world, so strict checks are in place.

Exactly and I ask the question again, what about all the other normal cars we import from Japan?

What a stupid OP!

555gc8 02 June 2016 12:05 AM

What a stupid OP![/QUOTE]

While there is money to be made there will always be loopholes and vehicles slipped through, there is no point attacking me I'm merely pointing out that there is a possibility of a health risk, I know for a fact that cars have been transported from highly contaminated areas in Fukushima and put through auction houses hundreds of miles away untested and exported.

Stupid OP in your mind you are entitled to believe what you like but I'd prefer not to expose my family to any health hazards, maybe your an importer or have bought an import and are trying to defend your purchase.

Many buyers have no idea that there newly arrived vehicle has or has not been tested, should they not be made aware or presented with a passed certification of something so harmful?

neil-h 02 June 2016 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 555gc8 (Post 11840790)
What a stupid OP!

Stupid OP in your mind you are entitled to believe what you like but I'd prefer not to expose my family to any health hazards,[/QUOTE]

Been on a plane recently? Or a trip to Cornwall? How about the microwave in your kitchen?

scoobyabs 02 June 2016 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 555gc8 (Post 11840790)
What a stupid OP!

While there is money to be made there will always be loopholes and vehicles slipped through, there is no point attacking me I'm merely pointing out that there is a possibility of a health risk, I know for a fact that cars have been transported from highly contaminated areas in Fukushima and put through auction houses hundreds of miles away untested and exported.

Stupid OP in your mind you are entitled to believe what you like but I'd prefer not to expose my family to any health hazards, maybe your an importer or have bought an import and are trying to defend your purchase.

Many buyers have no idea that there newly arrived vehicle has or has not been tested, should they not be made aware or presented with a passed certification of something so harmful?[/QUOTE]

banny sti 02 June 2016 03:29 PM

Give me some gamma radiation, as I wouldn't mind looking like the Hulk :D

555gc8 04 June 2016 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyabs (Post 11841019)

Many buyers have no idea that there newly arrived vehicle has or has not been tested, should they not be made aware or presented with a passed certification of something so harmful?

[/QUOTE]

So if your import arrives with a little white pass sticker you'll be absolutely fine :wonder:

555gc8 05 June 2016 12:12 AM

Check this out around 1:36 there are many hidden particles which cannot be detected through the testing method to pass for exporting, also recycled steell still contaminated and you thought a good wash should sort it.

If your happy receiving one with a little white pass sticker on the wind screen then good luck to you!

neil-h 05 June 2016 12:14 PM

Ok, we get it. Radiations scary :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :Whatever_

555gc8 05 June 2016 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=neil-h;11841850]Ok, we get it. Radiations scary :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :Whatever_[/QUOTE

Untill

:shtf::

The Trooper 1815 05 June 2016 08:15 PM

I am still waiting to find out about the normal imports.
Are they all contaminated?