ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Classic Twinscroll... or not?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1038510-classic-twinscroll-or-not.html)

M4RKG 21 May 2016 09:42 PM

Classic Twinscroll... or not??

Engine has started knocking on the Type R so looking to replace it with a version 8/9 STI JDM engine... However, can't decide which route is best to take.

Options as I see them are just replace the block and use my version 3 heads... or swap the full engine and use AVCS heads.

Would I be able to still use my standard turbo, manifold, uppipe and downpipe to keep it single scroll?

Or would it be worth swapping them all and going twin scroll?

Any input would be appreciated

JGlanzaV 21 May 2016 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by M4RKG (Post 11836501)
Engine has started knocking on the Type R so looking to replace it with a version 8/9 STI JDM engine... However, can't decide which route is best to take.

Options as I see them are just replace the block and use my version 3 heads... or swap the full engine and use AVCS heads.

Would I be able to still use my standard turbo, manifold, uppipe and downpipe to keep it single scroll?

You can't just run avcs heads with out the ecu looms etc etc

M4RKG 21 May 2016 09:51 PM

Yea, i've looked into having the looms made up and know that i'd need an aftermarket ECU as well

JGlanzaV 21 May 2016 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by M4RKG (Post 11836507)
Yea, i've looked into having the looms made up and know that i'd need an aftermarket ECU as well

It's not just the looms off the shelf

If using classic inlets you need more looms made than are available on the jti website.

If using newage you need more looms too.

You also need a standalone alcatek or syvecs.

Plus oil feeds for the turbo etc.

banny sti 21 May 2016 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by M4RKG (Post 11836501)

Tim from BRW developments dropped a complete newage engine into his version 2 classic and used some hybrid wiring from JTI on an alcatek ecu. For the record the twinscroll setup on a classic is a hoot :D

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread...age-management

M4RKG 21 May 2016 10:15 PM

So is it worth while going twin scroll... I don't really plan to ever go over 400bhp

banny sti 21 May 2016 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by M4RKG (Post 11836522)
So is it worth while going twin scroll... I don't really plan to ever go over 400bhp

From my driving experience of a twin scroll, I would go for it in a heartbeat as the standard turbo will see you at 370-380 with decent torque :thumb:

TimH 21 May 2016 10:58 PM

FYI we do all sorts of hybrid loom conversions. Almost anything is possible...give us a call if you want to talk it through :thumb:

M4RKG 21 May 2016 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TimH (Post 11836541)
FYI we do all sorts of hybrid loom conversions. Almost anything is possible...give us a call if you want to talk it through :thumb:

I've already spoke to you via email Tim :thumb: ... I'm just looking into costs etc of all the parts required

TimH 21 May 2016 11:14 PM

OK - sorry! Can't always relate forum names to people I speak to on the phone; and I'm terrible with names anyway lol

M4RKG 21 May 2016 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by TimH (Post 11836545)
OK - sorry! Can't always relate forum names to people I speak to on the phone; and I'm terrible with names anyway lol

No problem... Will be back in touch either tomorrow or Monday.

TimH 21 May 2016 11:21 PM

Aha - G at the end of your forum name as in a "famous guitar"....just connected with the emails :thumb:

Turbovin 22 May 2016 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11836511)
It's not just the looms off the shelf

If using classic inlets you need more looms made than are available on the jti website.

If using newage you need more looms too.

You also need a standalone alcatek or syvecs.

Plus oil feeds for the turbo etc.

What looms do I need? I have a 2.1 stroker with big port avcs heads going in my V5 Type R with the stock intake manifold. My Alcatek will be upgraded with the AVCS board and I bought a JTI loom for AVCS and newage coils. What more would I need if using the rest of my classic sensors?

JGlanzaV 22 May 2016 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Turbovin (Post 11836625)
What looms do I need? I have a 2.1 stroker with big port avcs heads going in my V5 Type R with the stock intake manifold. My Alcatek will be upgraded with the AVCS board and I bought a JTI loom for AVCS and newage coils. What more would I need if using the rest of my classic sensors?

You'll be alright with that on a v5 or 6, as long as you don't rotate the I let manifold :thumb:

Turbovin 22 May 2016 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11836630)
You'll be alright with that on a v5 or 6, as long as you don't rotate the I let manifold :thumb:

No plan to do that, thanks :thumb:

What about the crank pulley with Alcatek, is it easier/better to use one from a newage?

JGlanzaV 22 May 2016 11:05 AM

Yes you will need an AVCS equipped crank pulley

TimH 22 May 2016 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11836646)
Yes you will need an AVCS equipped crank pulley

Oily bits aren't my area, but is this true? The AVCS cam sensors on a 2.0l are completely independent of the main crank and cam timing system.

As a general rule, if you're sticking with the same version inlet manifold (and, therefore, sensors and idle control setup) as the vehicle loom, then the only add-on looms you need are AVCS and coilpack conversion (if wanted).

It's when you are using a whole newage setup in a classic that you need to start thinking through engine loom reworks and ECU type. For example, the newage idle control is a single control wire whereas a V5/6 is a 4-wire system. The OEM ECU cannot drive the the newage idle; a Syvecs can out of the box; an AlcaTek can, but you usually need a mod to the ECU which can be co-ordinated through the mapper/installer and AlcaTek.

JGlanzaV 22 May 2016 11:25 AM

I was told I needed a newage crank pulley with mine, and I was using a V5 inlet IACV etc, this was on a V3 so unless it is specific to the V3 i cant see why he wouldnt need one?

TimH 22 May 2016 11:30 AM

Oh, I get it. The main cam and crank trigger wheels are a matched set so you can't mix classic crank with newage cam. My bad!

JGlanzaV 22 May 2016 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by TimH (Post 11836660)
Oh, I get it. The main cam and crank trigger wheels are a matched set so you can't mix classic crank with newage cam. My bad!

And there you have it :thumb:

The Pink Ninja 22 May 2016 11:55 AM

This has been done a good few years back but a donar Newage loom was used, full twinscroll inc 6 speed and loom/ecu dropped straight in to a type r, was quite nippy too lol

gussy 22 May 2016 12:19 PM

Just get a complete twinscroll engine and drop it in with Tims looms matched to your oem harness leave swapping heads and manifolds off your old engine flog the v3 heads as this will be put against the cost of the twinscroll engine Matty usually has a few good engines for sale thats what I ended up doing with mine in a round about way