ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   interesting reading about NK (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1038451-interesting-reading-about-nk.html)

Tidgy 20 May 2016 12:54 PM

interesting reading about NK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36200530

Some interesting reading, its like they don't have any concept of the rest of the world and how they write/read etc

what a very backwards country they are

LSherratt 20 May 2016 01:21 PM

I can't even imagine how the journalist must have been feeling. I wonder what NK will look like in say, 50 years time?

Paben 20 May 2016 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11835842)
I can't even imagine how the journalist must have been feeling. I wonder what NK will look like in say, 50 years time?

Probably a no-go zone, a nuked wilderness

ALi-B 20 May 2016 01:33 PM

I saw some of his reports on TV before he was arrested. And what was immediately noticable was the cynicism in his tone and use of words.

To be honest as a guest in a country that is very intolerant to any slight at the country, its people and rulers, he had it comming and should have known better.

Just my opinion.....When in Rome...

What he should have done is kept his musings in his head and then publish it once he was back in Bejing.

hodgy0_2 20 May 2016 01:35 PM

chilling read

markjmd 20 May 2016 01:58 PM

It's obvious what happened here. They demanded an explanation for the tone of some of his reports, and they got all upset because they thought he was taking the proverbial when he tried to tell them it was just meant to be ironic ;)

hodgy0_2 20 May 2016 04:42 PM

I think he was really worried about admitting to anything - no matter how trivial it was portrayed by the interrogators

"just sign this confession Mr Rupert"

in case it was then twisted

but I suspect future foreign journos will be a lot more careful in future when filing reports whilst still in NK

Uncle Creepy 20 May 2016 08:15 PM

I recently read The Aquarium of Pyongyang. Horrific but interesting. I'd recommend.

gazney101 20 May 2016 10:00 PM

Why would anyone want to go there in the first place?
A country full of fcuking idiots, who cares, leave them to there business.

Some people are just asking for it

hodgy0_2 20 May 2016 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11836106)
Why would anyone want to go there in the first place?

Because it is part of the human condition, to want to understand, to enquire, to seek answers, to understand what seems alien, to push the boundaries of our knowledge

We have sent a probe to take photographs of the mountains and valleys of Pluto, a celestial body that 85 years ago did not exist in human consciousness

It is what separates us from animals

gazney101 21 May 2016 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11836139)
Because it is part of the human condition, to want to understand, to enquire, to seek answers, to understand what seems alien, to push the boundaries of our knowledge

We have sent a probe to take photographs of the mountains and valleys of Pluto, a celestial body that 85 years ago did not exist in human consciousness

It is what separates us from animals

I'm all for that, but we already know what goes on in nk, one look at that pudding of a leader let's us know.
I would rather go to pluto by myself with a one way ticket than step foot in any of these lunatic filled countries around this world.
Each to there own and all that but if people are gonna go there they shouldn't be shocked if they are treated this way or worse

hodgy0_2 21 May 2016 12:15 AM

But we don't "already know"

Knowledge never stops, it seek answers, it moves ever forward

The "we already know" is like saying " the world is obviously flat, because I see no curve and people fall off things when upside down - I mean that's just obvious"

Aka the world can't be round, people would fall off

Humanity does not just "know" it asks questions and it finds answers

gazney101 21 May 2016 12:31 AM

You know what love, I've always wanted to go and see the city of Palmyra in Syria, well let's get booked up next week dear.

Arrival.

Oh dear, we seem to have been taken by Isis.... that's unfortunate, and might I say quite rude, beheading my wife was the last straw...... who would believe such a thing could happen in this day and age.

I shall be giving an average review on trip advisor aswell because our hotel only had wooden chairs and my wife's blood all over the floor :nopity:

Martin2005 21 May 2016 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11836150)
You know what love, I've always wanted to go and see the city of Palmyra in Syria, well let's get booked up next week dear.

Arrival.

Oh dear, we seem to have been taken by Isis.... that's unfortunate, and might I say quite rude, beheading my wife was the last straw...... who would believe such a thing could happen in this day and age.

I shall be giving an average review on trip advisor aswell because our hotel only had wooden chairs and my wife's blood all over the floor :nopity:

What a fukin stupid response...

So the press should only go where they are told to go, and report what they're allowed to?

That's going be a real winner for everyone!

Why not just publish goverment propaganda, and dispense with scrutiny?

gazney101 21 May 2016 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11836153)

So the press should only go where they are told to go, and report what they're allowed to?

No the press can do whatever the **** they like but why are they so surprised at what happened here as a consequence of there own actions.
What did they expect to happen?

The press have there own agenda's anyway, the changes of getting solid facts from anything they come out with are slim.
I feel like I'm getting an opinion now when I watch the news rather than actual facts....

It's ****ing bull**** the whole lot of it

Martin2005 21 May 2016 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11836157)
No the press can do whatever the **** they like but why are they so surprised at what happened here as a consequence of there own actions.
What did they expect to happen?

I don't know, do you?

Quite proud that he did his job properly

gazney101 21 May 2016 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11836161)
I don't know, do you?

Quite proud that he did his job properly

I think he's a complete **** like the rest of the lying scum

Martin2005 21 May 2016 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by gazney101 (Post 11836163)
I think he's a complete **** like the rest of the lying scum

I seem to of entered the twilight zone

dpb 21 May 2016 04:36 AM

Donald trump wouldn't have this sort of trouble

ditchmyster 21 May 2016 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11835814)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36200530

Some interesting reading, its like they don't have any concept of the rest of the world and how they write/read etc

what a very backwards country they are

TBH, Find yourself on the wrong side of the law in the UK and the reality is, it's not much different, especially in these modern times where everyone seems to take offence at just about every word in the English language, take things out of context and barely read what is actually written, let alone try to understand it.

But hey at least the UK is a free country. :Suspiciou

hodgy0_2 26 May 2016 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11836164)
I seem to of entered the twilight zone

Or Scoobynet as it is more commonly known

The Trooper 1815 27 May 2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11836183)
TBH, Find yourself on the wrong side of the law in the UK and the reality is, it's not much different, especially in these modern times where everyone seems to take offence at just about every word in the English language, take things out of context and barely read what is actually written, let alone try to understand it.

But hey at least the UK is a free country. :Suspiciou

Democracy only works with control. We live in a tolerant society but only if we abide by the laws which in themselves are oppressive.

dpb 27 May 2016 01:16 PM

What laws ?

At least there aren't people starving here

The Trooper 1815 27 May 2016 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11838639)
What laws ?

At least there aren't people starving here

Really?

500,000 people in the UK live below the poverty line, not bad for the 5th biggest economy in the world.

dpb 27 May 2016 02:44 PM

Bit of a difference

jonc 27 May 2016 04:46 PM

Any one watch the Panorama programme where John Sweeney went to NK, it's compulsive viewing.

boomer 27 May 2016 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11838673)
500,000 people in the UK live below the poverty line, not bad for the 5th biggest economy in the world.

...it depends on where you draw "the poverty line"!

mb

madscoob 28 May 2016 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11836153)

strange i thought thats what the bbc did

markjmd 28 May 2016 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 11838977)
strange i thought thats what the bbc did

For all their faults, the BBC are rank amateurs at the propaganda game, next to the North-Koreans. Don't just take my word for it though, hear it straight from one of their former experts.