ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   A45 going - RS3 inbound (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1038287-a45-going-rs3-inbound.html)

Shaun 16 May 2016 08:45 AM

A45 going - RS3 inbound

1 Attachment(s)
Well...... it's time to move on guys and girls.

A45 has been sold and I pick-up my brand spanking new RS3 this Saturday.

Attachment 34421

Time for the next project thread! lol

Cue the jokes about understeering, lifeless steering, boring to look at, FL model due soon, etc, etc. LOL

Life is too short and variety is the spice of it! ;)

A45 is a cracking car only hindered (for me) by it's transmission limits vs tuning possibilities. I suspect I could very well be back in one, depending how model 2 pans out.

Peedee 16 May 2016 08:56 AM

Whaaaaaaaat? Are you mad? I can understand that you fancy a change, but going from your A45 to an RS3? I think you'll regret it rather quickly. Hopefully you don't though

SmurfyBhoy 16 May 2016 09:17 AM

If your lucky enough to do it, why not eh.

I reckon i would prefer the AMG as my mates Mk1 RS3 wasn't the car he expected.

He preferred his 375 Mountune Focus Rs.

Did you consider the facelifted A45 AMG ?

Shorter gearing and better gearbox too ??

banny sti 16 May 2016 09:24 AM

Nice car and sound lovely, look forward to the project updates and comparisons with the A45 :)

Shaun 16 May 2016 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11833617)
Whaaaaaaaat? Are you mad? I can understand that you fancy a change, but going from your A45 to an RS3? I think you'll regret it rather quickly. Hopefully you don't though

Tell me why you think I'm mad and I'll explain why I'm not. :lol1:

BrownPantsRacing 16 May 2016 09:34 AM

I like the RS3 personally. All the toys too and very fast with lots of potential.

Shaun 16 May 2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11833626)
If your lucky enough to do it, why not eh.

I reckon i would prefer the AMG as my mates Mk1 RS3 wasn't the car he expected.

He preferred his 375 Mountune Focus Rs.

Did you consider the facelifted A45 AMG ?

Shorter gearing and better gearbox too ??

FL A45 is not a consideration...... no where near enough of an advancement over my A45 to justify the cost. V2 will be where I'll look.

Shaun 16 May 2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11833631)
Nice car and sound lovely, look forward to the project updates and comparisons with the A45 :)

Tuning possibilities on the RS3 are pretty large..... this could get painful! Ha

urban 16 May 2016 10:14 AM

The RS3 looks the part, and sounds the part.

Presume you have driven one then?
Out of curiosity, what is the steering like on the RS3, I had an S3 for short time, and the steering wasn't terribly sharp

Has the A45 not cost you a small fortune in depreciation?

SmurfyBhoy 16 May 2016 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11833639)
FL A45 is not a consideration...... no where near enough of an advancement over my A45 to justify the cost. V2 will be where I'll look.

Have to agree there,

I'd be happy with either,

Can't comment on Mk2 RS3, only experience of first gen.

Look forward to reading your opinion :)

Shaun 16 May 2016 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11833658)
The RS3 looks the part, and sounds the part.

Presume you have driven one then?
Out of curiosity, what is the steering like on the RS3, I had an S3 for short time, and the steering wasn't terribly sharp

Has the A45 not cost you a small fortune in depreciation?

Yes mate, took one out a couple of weeks back. Smashed it a new backside down the local twisty B roads! Ha

Not a great deal of steering feel and it does understeer, however, you just gotta take it by the scruff of it's neck. It's not as "tight" as the A45, but it matters not to me. I haven't done a track event in years now and don't intend to. This car will live on the road and it's fine for that.

I never drove the MK1 RS3, so don't know how much better (presumably) this one is. It went where I turned and had plenty of frontend grip. For the road it's 100% fine for me.

I'm not interested in driving everywhere at 8-9ths and don't drive a tarmac rally stage every day. I think some things are slightly overrated for real world driving.

Depreciation - yes - shedloads, but who cares. I work to be able to enjoy life, for the short time that I'll be here! ha

LSherratt 16 May 2016 01:25 PM

A45 can't be that good if people are only managing to keep them for 2 years tops :lol1:.

Enjoy the new car

Shaun 16 May 2016 02:11 PM

They're great cars..... just not really a modders delight really. lol

LEO-RS 16 May 2016 02:39 PM

Better looking
Better engine
Better transmission
Quicker
Launches better
More tuneable
Nicer cabin
Nicer exhaust sound

The RS3 is a much nicer place to be, good step forward:thumb:

SmurfyBhoy 16 May 2016 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by LEO-RS (Post 11833767)
Better looking
Better engine
Better transmission
Quicker and faster
More tuneable
Nicer cabin
Nicer exhaust sound

Quicker in a straight line ;)

Not that i would knock one back.

I do find that the RS3 is always bottom of the group tests I read or watch.

However these are only opinions, and everybody's will be different.

From what my mate who owns a mk1 RS3 says the brakes could be better too.

Shaun 16 May 2016 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by LEO-RS (Post 11833767)
Better looking
Better engine
Better transmission
Quicker
Launches better
More tuneable
Nicer cabin
Nicer exhaust sound

"Better looking" is highly subjective. ;) If you're a chav like me, you'd say the A45 is better looking. Ha

Brakes are in a different postcode (behind), performance wise, on the RS3. A45 is miles ahead in this element.

Handling is better on the A45.

Luckily I don't use brakes much lol, and the RS3 handling is "fine" for road use imo.

I wouldn't say the engine is "better", as it depends what "better" means. The 2ltr lump in the A45 is a screamer for sure..... it's the best 2ltr blown platform I've ever experienced.

They are both quite different cars imo, which is good as I'm swapping one for the other. :D

SmurfyBhoy 16 May 2016 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11833770)
"Better looking" is highly subjective. ;) If you're a chav like me, you'd say the A45 is better looking. Ha

Brakes are in a different postcode (behind), performance wise, on the RS3. A45 is miles ahead in this element.

Handling is better on the A45.

Luckily I don't use brakes much lol, and the RS3 handling is "fine" for road use imo.

I wouldn't say the engine is "better", as it depends what "better" means. The 2ltr lump in the A45 is a screamer for sure..... it's the best 2ltr blown platform I've ever experienced.

They are both quite different cars imo, which is good as I'm swapping one for the other. :D

I like your honesty,

Good to try different platforms

And really will u arrive at your destination that far behind in real life driving ??

More than enough for most folk on the road.

Shaun 16 May 2016 03:22 PM

Absolutely, in respect of trying different platforms. I obviously like and want the RS3, and I believe it gives me things that the A45 doesn't.

Real world, you're 100% correct. People put too much emphasis on certain stats, however, the RS3 gives me more scope and ultimately more interest.

I was actually quite surprised how quick the RS3 is stock. Certainly feels quicker than my standard A45 (which it is now, ready for swap out).

Stock RS3's (this model) are banging in 12.1's down the strip in the UK, and I have VBOX data that shows it doing the 60 dash in 3.7-3.8s. For the stats choppers, that provides some context as to how quick they are stock.

Do you need more for the road? Nope.

Do you take advantage of the delights that this platform can give you, with further tuning? Why not! :D

An0n0m0us 16 May 2016 03:31 PM

I need a new career so I can change cars (and expensive ones at that) as often as you do ;) I'm looking forward to the thread on it as I think RS3s look amazing and would love to have a drive of one :thumb:

fat-thomas 16 May 2016 03:36 PM

Lovely....what options did you go for

Shaun 16 May 2016 03:37 PM

LOL

I'm not a millionaire mate.... just don't have kids. I suppose that makes me a millionaire then! Ha

Shaun 16 May 2016 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11833782)
Lovely....what options did you go for

Full spec:

- Brake calipers in red
- Comfort and sound package
- Daytona Grey
- Door mirror-elec/fold/heat
- Dynamic package
- Fine Nappa leather/diamond quilt
- High beam assistant
- High-gloss black styling pack
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Privacy glass
- RS3 design pack
- Reversing camera
- S sports seats
- Technology pack & Audi Connect

:)

An0n0m0us 16 May 2016 03:41 PM

I have 4 of the little monsters so that's where my money has gone :lol1:

What's first on the list of mods for the RS3?

DoZZa 16 May 2016 03:42 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the RS3. Been looking at getting one to replace or ageing 2002 Audi A4!

scooby2.5maz 16 May 2016 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11833787)
Full spec:

- Brake calipers in red
- Comfort and sound package
- Daytona Grey
- Door mirror-elec/fold/heat
- Dynamic package
- Fine Nappa leather/diamond quilt
- High beam assistant
- High-gloss black styling pack
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Privacy glass
- RS3 design pack
- Reversing camera
- S sports seats
- Technology pack & Audi Connect

:)

Whats the weight shaun ? Just wondering if it's Less than my 800kg 528 bhp sti ?? :D:lol1::thumb:

Shaun 16 May 2016 05:29 PM

Nope.... it's just under twice that weight! Ha

Kevmc76 16 May 2016 05:30 PM

Even more boring than AMG i think.

rb5_336 16 May 2016 05:31 PM

I'd be interested to learn if you managed to negotiate a discount,and what the pcp terms were.
Thanks
Sean

Shaun 16 May 2016 06:04 PM

Kev,
I've previously modded a SPEC C to over 600bhp, and handed all other tuners their arses on the sprints. I'm allowed to be boring! :D

Sean,
No discounts are currently available on the RS3. That stopped once they pulled production for the next few months. All build slots are taken and the only stock new, are the ones left at the dealers unregistered, which is limited.

Luckily my local had an unregistered one in more or less the exact spec I wanted.

If you're looking to buy new unregistered, you're more than likely going to have to have a high spec. As an example at £9k deposit, you're talking over £630pm on a 36 month PCP. That's on a car otr at £50k.

Kevmc76 16 May 2016 06:26 PM

Fair play with the spec c but Audi in my eyes are just plain boring a lot like the evo