ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wanted (https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/)
-   -   INFO ON HOW TO AVOID FIXED PENLTYS FROM GASTO CAMERAS (https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/103807-info-on-how-to-avoid-fixed-penltys-from-gasto-cameras.html)

John 555 10 June 2002 07:33 PM

As the title says, iam pretty sure i have a number of points on there way to me after passing through a gasto camera, so what is the law are they ilegal or not ????

sammyh 10 June 2002 08:04 PM

I'm sorry but I cant remeber if you were driving at the time :D

John 555 10 June 2002 08:08 PM

Tried that one last time sammy an they said well we'll do you for withholding evidence and up to £1000 fine.

jimi 10 June 2002 08:24 PM

Dont speed in the first place where there is a gatso?

JIM

kimera 10 June 2002 08:44 PM

little tip i found handy, visit you local constabularys website and if they are as generous as south yorkshire police they will tell you where all the static gatsos are and where they are operating mobile speedtraps over the next few weeks. Nice chaps really!!

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/traffic/special-traffic4.html

and

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/traffic/traffic-fixed-cameras.htm

kimera 10 June 2002 08:46 PM

forgot this one

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/police%20links.htm

sammyh 10 June 2002 10:25 PM

Worked for me and 3 others I know as they are not technically not supposed (allowed) to push you for that info.

davecoombs 11 June 2002 12:34 PM

go to speedtrap.co.uk and it tells how to use the not remembering who was driving at the time

555-Shaggy 11 June 2002 01:04 PM

Best bet is not to get caught in the first place.. or not to speed at all then theres no risk...

Jon1T 11 June 2002 02:15 PM

I used the 'can't remember who was driving' for a photos that dropped through my letterbox in Jan - dated November 2001!! We'd moved house and they still have three months to track you down (but check date - if you receive 2 wks after offence date (and haven't moved) it's invalid)......reponded saying can't remember whether myself or wife driving as it was over two months ago - and not heard anything since (touch wood)!

Chris-WRX 12 June 2002 03:39 PM

Being a law student, i can help, under EU legislation you can not incriminate yourself...if photo evidence is inconclusive u will get away with it, especially if you have named drivers on the car.
Chris

TBMeech 12 June 2002 05:00 PM

U wanna be careful with that not naming drivers business because now the registered owner of the car will pick up the points, fine and up to £1000 fine as well :o

RaZe-=Buzz=- 13 June 2002 07:13 AM

How on earth could they make THAT one stick?

"Oh well, we cant find out who was driving, so since your name is on this piece of paper used only for taxing or selling the car, and has no bearing whatsoever on who can drive it or who is insured for it, we'll do you for £1000? "

Doesnt it say somewhere on the V5 - "The registered keeper of the vehicle is not necessarily the owner"

Example - Hire car. 4 blokes hire a car and all want to drive, cos they are going somewhere for 2 weeks. Hypothetical, but not impossible I hope you agree. They get flashed somewhere and dont say who's driving, maybe to not "self incriminate", or maybe they HONESTLY cant remeber, it being 10 days ago. Hire company get the fine and points then? How likely is THAT?????
Or is someone goin to tell me they would EACH get £1000 and 6 points, 'cos I dont believe that either. You cant apply the "you signed for it mate, so YOU get done" based on the hire contract if they are ALL entitled to drive it, cos we have the same problem as with the registered keeper

Surely this is the thing the cops rely on. We DONT know what our rights are and we are not SURE of the law and the technicalities. So we pay up, cos otherwise the nice man in the funny wig might charge us more and penalise us more heavily for daring to try to find out.

Stuart J 13 June 2002 08:15 AM

Suggest you post this on General, not everybody looks at wanted, I only found it by chance & its a worthwhile thread that could effect us all

Stuart

TBMeech 13 June 2002 10:38 AM

Raze,

Doubt it somehow if they could make each person carry the can for a speeding offence, or pass on the points to the hire company, cos in order to issue points there has to be a driving license....

have a peek here some useful information:

http://ukgatso.com/information/

Edited to say, I have the NIP that I was sent a couple of months ago at home, on the back it states if you do not disclose the driver than the registered keeper will basically carry the can, I'll scan it later and post it up here.

[Edited by TBMeech - 6/13/2002 10:39:16 AM]

Little Miss WRX 13 June 2002 03:37 PM

Yup, been stung for that one myself recently.

If the named driver doesn't come forward, the registered owner of the vehicle will get a similar fine and points to that of the original penalty up to £1000. It is usually taken to court too if that happens.

Good luck if you do it!

yoza 13 June 2002 04:23 PM

Remember not all GATSOs have cameras in them,and also if they have, they may well have run out of film,yet they will still double flash whatever.Got one at the end of our road,and was surprised to see a copper emptying the film out of it the other day,in a fully marked up Omega.Thought this job was contracted out?
PS some little tw4t keeps chuckin muddy leaves over the lens on his way to the pub......wait till I catch him:D

John 555 13 June 2002 07:38 PM

TBMeech,

had a look at the site,some usefull information, will have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks

TBMeech 14 June 2002 09:18 AM

John 555,

Good luck m8, hope it comes to nothing :)

Still havent heard back from my 'incident' so I am hoping they will not do anything.

RaZe-=Buzz=- 14 June 2002 05:52 PM

OK, so have a guess at this one then - but before I start, just to clarify I dont have ANY points nor any pending, nor any convictions, but I drive a lot and suppose I'll be due some soon...

I drive a company car most of the time, Audi A4. Now for SOME unfathomable reason, the dealer we bought it from filled in the V5 with HIS name and address and not ours, and hasnt got round to sorting it out yet, We've got receipts etc so I arent too bothered at the moment.

So if I get any points at the moment the notification will go to him as you say TB as he is the registered owner.
So could I just refuse to say I was driving and wait for him to ring me up shouting?? :D And WHO at the dealer would they endorse? Cant endorse a license cos the dealership doesnt have one.

See what a strange world we live in? :p

mikeesingh 15 June 2002 05:17 PM

John 555, YHM

mikee

bob 16 June 2002 12:56 AM

Register your cars in a childs name (Son or Daughter) Tell them it was not you driving and see if they will take a minor to court.

John 555 16 June 2002 12:30 PM

Bob,

I'll phone the adoption agencey tomorrow.

stuart12 20 June 2002 03:10 PM

Not sure I would try this one but...

Plead guilty, pay fine If say fine is £60 then give cheque for £61 They will then be happy and give you a cheque back for £1. The points will not go on your licence until all transactions are complete. Tear up cheque for £1. They wont be after you because you accepted guilt and paid up.

This is supposed to work.

Stuart :D

Pete H 20 June 2002 03:39 PM

The £61 cheque ruse definitely doesn't work. Re the registering in a minor's name - shouldn't registered keeper have the insurance policy in his name?

stuart12 20 June 2002 05:00 PM

Pete,

The £61 cheque thing. How do you know it doesn't work?

Stuart

DanTheMan 21 June 2002 05:31 PM

get a non driving work colleague or student to take the wrap for you, the going rate is £100 per point, loads of people will do it and you keep a clean slate.....
reccomended ;)

RaZe-=Buzz=- 21 June 2002 05:40 PM

unless they ask the person who was SUPPOSED to be driving for the proof of their insurance to drive your car.....