ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Meister r coilovers how much preload (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1038069-meister-r-coilovers-how-much-preload.html)

supshon 08 May 2016 06:36 PM

Meister r coilovers how much preload

Hi people with Meister r coilovers how much preload have you set and have you used the same amount on the front to the back , checked mine today the rears had 5mm preload but the front had 20mm ,have now set the front to 5mm preload and the ride is so much better , had to adjust the ride height with the bottom bracket due the the suspension droop , Im having the geometry set up for the 3rd time so want to make sure I'm doing it right. ride height front 350 rear 345 from arch to centre of wheel

bro82 10 May 2016 01:46 AM

I've been told that preload have to be 0 and that's what I have set on mine.
Front and rear are different.

MeisterR 10 May 2016 08:22 PM

Pre-load don't need much, just enough to hold the springs in as the WRX have plenty of travel.
Out of the factory there is 2mm, up to 5mm is fine.

I don't like to run a lot of pre-load unless I am trying to change the static position of the piston.
Something that isn't needed on the Impreza coilovers.

Jerrick

supshon 10 May 2016 09:14 PM

Brilliant thanks for the replys , now I have set preload at 5mm all round all I can say is wow what a difference I can now feel the dampners working as they should , instead of riding round on rock hard springs , car now handles so much better and really sticks to the road through bends even though the geometry is out , currently set at 22 clicks front and 20 rear . having the geometry set Friday then I'll play about with the rear roll bar as it's currently on soft .

MeisterR 12 May 2016 03:41 PM

Sounds good, glad you are enjoying the suspension now. :)

Jerrick

supshon 12 May 2016 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MeisterR (Post 11832139)
Sounds good, glad you are enjoying the suspension now. :)

Jerrick

Thanks I am at last now enjoying the car , I would like to mention that the coilover preload was set perfect when I originally bought them , it was adjusted due to running hankook evo k110 v12 tyres which have a really soft side wall, this which was giving the suspension a soft feel . now using nankang ns2r in 180 compound so much better :)

MeisterR 13 May 2016 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by supshon (Post 11832179)
Thanks I am at last now enjoying the car , I would like to mention that the coilover preload was set perfect when I originally bought them , it was adjusted due to running hankook evo k110 v12 tyres which have a really soft side wall, this which was giving the suspension a soft feel . now using nankang ns2r in 180 compound so much better :)

Next time if you have the same problem.
Run stiffer damping, don't adjust the pre-load, it does different things. :)

Jerrick

jody0702 25 July 2016 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by MeisterR (Post 11831564)
Pre-load don't need much, just enough to hold the springs in as the WRX have plenty of travel.
Out of the factory there is 2mm, up to 5mm is fine.

I don't like to run a lot of pre-load unless I am trying to change the static position of the piston.
Something that isn't needed on the Impreza coilovers.

Jerrick

Hi got mine less than 2 weeks after ordering so thanks for that firstly and what an amazing bit of kit the gt1s are. So nice I haven't put them on yet!! Will go on v soon as nearing the end of a build. Was wondering about the preload so think I will leave as is. What's best way to protect these bad boys. White lithium on threaded part of damper?? Thanks again

MeisterR 29 July 2016 06:10 AM

The GT1 are all pre-treated with our ARC, so you don't even need lithium grease.
A little trick I seen a few owners do is tape the exposed tread with electric or blue tape just to keep debris from getting into the thread.

Otherwise, you are good to go. :)

Jerrick