ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Power Gains (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1037470-power-gains.html)

Dvddan 22 April 2016 12:08 PM

Power Gains

I have a totally standard WRX sti type r v4, what sort of power gains can I get without having the car remapped and are they safe.
I know it will not be much at all just want some sort of idea of gains and what mods people suggest

Looking at a back box, blitz nur spec s, Genome or Afterburner Raptor maybe some sort of induction kit.
Like I said not to keen on remapping the car as I have had it from new with 0 problems in its standard form or should I just leave it as it is?
Any ideas would be welcome

banny sti 22 April 2016 12:10 PM

Leave it alone

ccsimpreza 22 April 2016 12:14 PM

As above

Dvddan 22 April 2016 12:19 PM

Would a back box be totally safe as I would like a little more noise? of course I would store the original 1 nice and safe so I could restore the car back to original.
I know after 17/18 years of owning the car it seems a little silly to do the mods now

malevolent_sti 22 April 2016 12:23 PM

An argument could be made for changing even something as minor as a backbox could require a remap. However,

I changed just the backbox on my V6 type R with no problems, just sounded a little deeper. If that's what your after you shouldn't encounter any problems.

jaygsi 22 April 2016 01:48 PM

Cat back system isn't going to harm, some people would map there cars after changing an air filter. I've changed full system to 3" with sports cat. Although I am getting a remap.

Can't see a cat back being a problem only if your changing bore size or cat.

banny sti 22 April 2016 01:51 PM

A JDM sti ecu is pretty aggressive on the timing side, I would not want to tempt fate by changing anything especially after 17-18 years. However you car do what you must :)

Dvddan 22 April 2016 03:33 PM

Just been offered an Alcatek ecu for £400 erm......

alcazar 22 April 2016 03:43 PM

You ask for advice, then ignore it? :rolleyes:

One of the most respected guys on here has told you what to do: leave it alone.

SmurfyBhoy 22 April 2016 03:50 PM

If it is completely standard will it not be set up for jap fuel ?
or is v-power ok to use in unmapped classic sti ??

Dvddan 22 April 2016 03:54 PM

Been on vpower and what ever they use to call it before that from day 1, never had any issues

Dvddan 22 April 2016 04:02 PM

Not sure how i have ignored the advice as the car is still in standard form, just fancied some more power and getting a better picture, could of mapped the car years ago but never did due to bad mapping engines blowing etc etc and so much bull **** in the scene.
Might just put it back in the garage with the other cars
And think Banny was suggesting the standard sti ECU was a bit iffy so thats why I mentioned the Alcatek

MattyB1983 22 April 2016 04:08 PM

Changing the back box won't give you more power anyway..

If it's noise you want then a rear box swap will be fine, if it's power you are after then whichever route you take will require some tweaks to the map.

Dvddan 22 April 2016 04:16 PM

Thats what I thought matty, just wanted to throw it out there thouhgt I might gain 5/10 bhp from a slight tweek but it was the noise I wanted mostly, was thinking of putting the blitz on it when I 1st imported it in 1998 but never got around to it, was hidden away in my garage for 6 years until last year and decided it was time I brought it back to life, forgot how much I enjoyed the drive.
Standard exhaust sounds so weak,lol