ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Millers oil must read! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1036743-millers-oil-must-read.html)

jonnyboy82 01 April 2016 10:38 PM

Millers oil must read!

1 Attachment(s)
Just come across this on Facebook. Anyone on here had any issues with millers oil? Pretty shocked tbh especially as I just bought 5L ready for my service.

Paulo P 02 April 2016 01:09 AM

I saw that too and their response isn't great.

Having seen that I wouldn't personally use millers again, I'd go back to using castrol etc! Imagine that sat in the bottom of your sump......

ZANY 02 April 2016 07:25 AM

I've had the same big sludge but it was more like lube showed it to my local millers oil guy he confirmed it were additives at the bottom as the tub had been on shelf let's not forget people don't go around buying millers cfs as its a bit pricey do I just dropped it in it did mix and 3 years on from that I just shake the oil before putting it in as it's the additives nowt else and my bug never had a problem and I'm still using millers cfs and won't use anything else but that's just me:thumb:

jonnyboy82 02 April 2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY
I've had the same big sludge but it was more like lube showed it to my local millers oil guy he confirmed it were additives at the bottom as the tub had been on shelf let's not forget people don't go around buying millers cfs as its a bit pricey do I just dropped it in it did mix and 3 years on from that I just shake the oil before putting it in as it's the additives nowt else and my bug never had a problem and I'm still using millers cfs and won't use anything else but that's just me:thumb:

Nice to hear a positive response to this.

bustaMOVEs 02 April 2016 10:23 AM

As said above, old oil sat on shelfs for some time.

BBB3 02 April 2016 10:26 AM

I had the same with Motul oil with my evo, was sat on the shelf for a while

S204Darren 02 April 2016 10:38 AM

A lesson for all of us me thinks! Looks like we will sifting my oil in the future, can't risk that.

CharlySkunkWeed 02 April 2016 10:50 AM

If that blob of "additives" doesn't make it into the engine , does that change the effectiveness of the oil though ? It's almost like you'd want it "remixed" . Or not used at all for that matter !

Steve Whitehorn 02 April 2016 11:08 AM

Silverline Synionic is little known but is probably the best stuff you can put in your subaru. The post on March the 10th outlines why and as you can see some pretty serious cars use it.

For example ...
´´Synionic Products Are Designed To Withstand Pressures In Excess Of 220,000 P.S.I. Which When Compared To That Of A Race Spec Synthetic, Being Approximately 6,500 P.S.I. ´´

Linky here....

https://www.facebook.com/Silverlineukltd/

Dont get me wrong. Millers , Fuchs and all that is good stuff and I have personally used them both with no problems. It is just this stuff seems to be a step up.

Autotweek 03 April 2016 02:26 PM

Hmmm interesting read there.

Blue by You 04 April 2016 08:18 AM

I would be interested to hear comments about this from Oilman (Opie Oils).

**jay** 04 April 2016 08:41 AM

Always used millers and always will never had a problem,some of my cars have been over 500bhp

ScoobP1 04 April 2016 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11816820)
I would be interested to hear comments about this from Oilman (Opie Oils).

They are a distributor of millers so won't say anything to incriminate then so take what is said with a pinch of salt.

Blue by You 04 April 2016 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobP1 (Post 11816833)
They are a distributor of millers so won't say anything to incriminate then so take what is said with a pinch of salt.

Vested interest or not I would still like to see an informed comment from someone in the trade. Whether I believe what is said or not is up to me.

ZANY 04 April 2016 08:07 PM

I bet mr opine oils has allready read this thread but no comment!! I've took a 5ltr millers cfs off them last year bout October time for another scoob and that had the same sludge at the bottom aswell which I shamed hard and mixed up before the OILMAN always has sumat to say but I guess not which is worrying me now but to be honest through experience I've not had a single issue and the recent service on my mates car is running fine aswell but interesting tho that next man hasn't put a comment up where as usually he's in there first promoting his business :lol1:

Dan_RA 04 April 2016 09:59 PM

Never used millers oil and never will do, always used and will continue to use Synionic/Silverline as thats what all the works track and road cars use. 👍

ScoobP1 04 April 2016 10:47 PM

Used millers nano drive once and lost my engine in the process. Always used motul 300v up till then with no issues then changed to nanodrive and wish I hadn't.

ScoobP1 04 April 2016 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11816969)
Vested interest or not I would still like to see an informed comment from someone in the trade. Whether I believe what is said or not is up to me.

Ok, whatever you say but it wouldn't be informed as he wont say anything against a major supplier so take what he says (if anything) with a pinch of salt.

Blue by You 05 April 2016 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ZANY (Post 11817039)
I bet mr opine oils has allready read this thread but no comment!! I've took a 5ltr millers cfs off them last year bout October time for another scoob and that had the same sludge at the bottom aswell which I shamed hard and mixed up before the OILMAN always has sumat to say but I guess not which is worrying me now but to be honest through experience I've not had a single issue and the recent service on my mates car is running fine aswell but interesting tho that next man hasn't put a comment up where as usually he's in there first promoting his business :lol1:

The silence from the South West is deafening, isn't it :Suspiciou

Steve Whitehorn 05 April 2016 09:02 AM

I have also been told that when an engine is stripped down that has been running Silverline/Synionic it looks as pretty well as much as clean as the day it was built. With other high end Synthetics you can see the muck and build ups.

I have never seen this with my own eyes. So if any one ever does refresh an engine running on this stuff.....I guess a few of us would be really interested to see a few pics, to see what it does look like inside.

lunar tick 05 April 2016 11:52 AM

I see that Opie have posted on another SN thread this morning but haven't commented on this....
:Suspiciou

Autotweek 05 April 2016 12:02 PM

Has he seen this thread though?

The Trooper 1815 05 April 2016 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 11817206)
I have also been told that when an engine is stripped down that has been running Silverline/Synionic it looks as pretty well as much as clean as the day it was built. With other high end Synthetics you can see the muck and build ups.

I have never seen this with my own eyes. So if any one ever does refresh an engine running on this stuff.....I guess a few of us would be really interested to see a few pics, to see what it does look like inside.

The oil probably contains a type of detergent/cleaner/additive as do most modern oils. But I had the same cleaning effect using SBF Automec brake fluid. When I stripped the calipers the pistons and chambers were as clean as a whistle.

But I think a bit of panic as set in with this thread in that there is a perfectly good reason for the problem. I would seriously consider changing the engine oil in any car if it was left too long as crud and age would be detrimental to it's condition. All oils, fluids (including fuel) and additives have a finite shelf life and caution should be taken with any of them.

The Trooper 1815 05 April 2016 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobP1 (Post 11817133)
Used millers nano drive once and lost my engine in the process. Always used motul 300v up till then with no issues then changed to nanodrive and wish I hadn't.

Was the oil at fault?

oilman 05 April 2016 12:09 PM

Definitely looks like additive drop out to me. But why it has happened with this oil, without testing it, it is hard to tell. Usually this happens when an oil has been sat on the shelf for a long time without moving, or poor storage. Often a good shake will sort it out but it does not look like that will work in this case!

As the original user of this oil has not had much luck with Millers, I would be happy to take it up with them. I would need to know the production date and batch number from the bottle and where it was purchased, and when.

Cheers

Guy

The Trooper 1815 05 April 2016 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by oilman (Post 11817274)
Definitely looks like additive drop out to me. But why it has happened with this oil, without testing it, it is hard to tell. Usually this happens when an oil has been sat on the shelf for a long time without moving, or poor storage. Often a good shake will sort it out but it does not look like that will work in this case!

As the original user of this oil has not had much luck with Millers, I would be happy to take it up with them. I would need to know the production date and batch number from the bottle and where it was purchased, and when.

Cheers

Guy

:thumb:

jonnyboy82 05 April 2016 04:00 PM

So, my service is happening on Sunday. I already had the millers bought prior to seeing the facebook link I put up.

Are we saying these oils have a certain shelf life?
How exactly can you check before use without emptying the whole can first?

oilman 05 April 2016 04:21 PM

Oil companies do not like to say anything official on shelf life but if you drill them down they will usually say use within 3 years if sealed, and within a year if opened.

I do not know how old the product is in the facebook link, or how it has been stored. It could even be a production issue, this is why the batch numbers are important if Millers will take it further.

If you are worried, it may sound daft daft but give it a good shake first. Did you purchase it from us?

Cheers

Guy

Blue by You 05 April 2016 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by oilman (Post 11817381)
Oil companies do not like to say anything official on shelf life but if you drill them down they will usually say use within 3 years if sealed, and within a year if opened.

I do not know how old the product is in the facebook link, or how it has been stored. It could even be a production issue, this is why the batch numbers are important if Millers will take it further.

If you are worried, it may sound daft daft but give it a good shake first. Did you purchase it from us?

Cheers

Guy

Thanks for sticking your head above the parapet Guy.
What would your best guess be on this point though?

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11816212)
If that blob of "additives" doesn't make it into the engine , does that change the effectiveness of the oil though ?

jonnyboy82 05 April 2016 06:59 PM

It wasn't actually me who had the problem with the oil I shared it from another fellow Scooby enthusiast.

I bought mine from ICP I just wondered if there was a date on the bottle to go by? I will give it a good shake I may even empty the bottle first just to check.