ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   STI Rod Knock - Sell or fix? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1036672-sti-rod-knock-sell-or-fix.html)

Matt_182 30 March 2016 06:19 PM

STI Rod Knock - Sell or fix?

I'm after some advice for a friend who's not sure what to do with his car. It's developed a knocking noise which has now been diagnosed as rod knock. Estimate on engine rebuild is pricey as you can imagine...

Car in question is an 05 blob STI DCCD, crystal grey, 55k, FSH etc etc. If he decides to sell up with the issue what sort of money should he expect to get?

I imagine fix and then sell is the best option but trying to weigh up what's best in terms of minimising the loss!

The Pink Ninja 30 March 2016 06:23 PM

£4-5k if he's lucky, would benefit more to fix and sell or keep

jayallen 30 March 2016 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11815131)
£4-5k if he's lucky, would benefit more to fix and sell or keep

That's a tad low in today's current prices Gaz, surely...?

Fit and running it would probably sell for nearly twice that with only 55k IMO

Dan_RA 30 March 2016 06:37 PM

Late STi blob would be a 10k+ car if perfect. Look at spending 3-4k having it built and keep in my opinion.

jaygsi 30 March 2016 06:42 PM

Nope, i'd say 4-5k as you have the hassle of collecting and repairing the car, most likely a breaker will buy it. I'd get it fixed first then sell.

Shop around though, forged rebuilds are 3k+ but have seen places where prices start from 1k of course depending on what needs to be done.

JGlanzaV 30 March 2016 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11815137)
Nope, i'd say 4-5k as you have the hassle of collecting and repairing the car, most likely a breaker will buy it. I'd get it fixed first then sell.

Shop around though, forged rebuilds are 3k+ but have seen places where prices start from 1k of course depending on what needs to be done.

1k will be for long block only so you will have the hassle to remove and rebuild the block etc.

You're looking at 3-4k to sort...

Dan_RA 30 March 2016 07:00 PM

1k for a build?

Genuine gasket kit alone is half that! Then take time to remove engine, strip, clean, machine work, replacement part costs, all new seals and gaskets, head gaskets, oils, filters, oil pump, etc etc... See where this is going? A good engine builder can put 30-40 hours into a build.... Then add parts.... As i said and glanza too, 3-4k to do right.

Matt_182 30 March 2016 07:10 PM

He's expecting £3-4K for a rebuild hence the discussion about selling up as is. What's labour like on engine swaps?

PedroFT 30 March 2016 07:15 PM

In the uk prices are a bit high for labour.
I've done a complete rebuild on mine with King Racing bearings and OEM Subaru parts (headgaskets, etc) for 2200€ (~1750£). Heads and cilinders where machined.
You can save money by buying a couple of the parts, the bearing I got from Poland:
http://www.topendpower.pl/c/pl/15/1/...ng/subaru.html

You could pay only for labour. So I would def fix it.

Dan_RA 30 March 2016 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_182 (Post 11815162)
He's expecting £3-4K for a rebuild hence the discussion about selling up as is. What's labour like on engine swaps?

Swaps are a risky thing, could get lucky or could end up with one as bad as whats in already. Personally if its a keeper, build it, enjoy it....

jaygsi 30 March 2016 07:35 PM

Yes but thats not going to be for a full rebuild, thats prices i've seen.

Originally Posted by Dan_RA (Post 11815154)
1k for a build?

Genuine gasket kit alone is half that! Then take time to remove engine, strip, clean, machine work, replacement part costs, all new seals and gaskets, head gaskets, oils, filters, oil pump, etc etc... See where this is going? A good engine builder can put 30-40 hours into a build.... Then add parts.... As i said and glanza too, 3-4k to do right.

Dan_RA 30 March 2016 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11815175)
Yes but thats not going to be for a full rebuild, thats prices i've seen.

The term "too good to be true" springs to mind at 1k lol

gazney101 31 March 2016 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_182 (Post 11815129)
I'm after some advice for a friend who's not sure what to do with his car. It's developed a knocking noise which has now been diagnosed as rod knock. Estimate on engine rebuild is pricey as you can imagine...

Car in question is an 05 blob STI DCCD, crystal grey, 55k, FSH etc etc. If he decides to sell up with the issue what sort of money should he expect to get?

I imagine fix and then sell is the best option but trying to weigh up what's best in terms of minimising the loss!

If it's knocking you are looking at new crank
Full set of engine bearings
New modine
At least one rod
New piston rings
New head gaskets
Possibly new timing belt kit (age depending)
Bores honed
And if it's at that stage it would be rude to not have the heads checked /refreshed

I would say 3grand should do it.

Or speak to matty MB developments on here for a used one. If there's anyone you can trust to buy a used engine from its him

The Pink Ninja 31 March 2016 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 11815133)
That's a tad low in today's current prices Gaz, surely...?

Fit and running it would probably sell for nearly twice that with only 55k IMO

Nah I'd say it's spot on, bargain for someone with the knowledge to do it but a costly excersize for most

Matt_182 31 March 2016 08:36 PM

He's decided to go for the full rebuild after getting a few quotes today. Just goes to show a low mileage car isn't necessarily the best!

The Pink Ninja 31 March 2016 09:48 PM

All depends on how it's been treated since new, most people get over excited in them doing donuts and the oil temp rockets to a point where the bearings will take no more...then knock knock, service history with decent oil changed regularly and if it's been run without Coolant will also cause failure.