ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bail out Tata's UK Steel? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1036662-bail-out-tatas-uk-steel.html)

jonc 30 March 2016 02:30 PM

Bail out Tata's UK Steel?

Should the taxpayers bail out Tata UK Steel or should they be allowed to fail?

Martin2005 30 March 2016 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11815014)
Should the taxpayers bail out Tata UK Steel or should they be allowed to fail?

The government needs to do something. Maybe they should insist that all future pitches for infrastructure projects must include the use of British steel

dpb 30 March 2016 04:10 PM

Bit ******g late for that !

BrownPantsRacing 30 March 2016 04:11 PM

To be fair, this has been a long time coming. We took equipment back from site 6 months ago as they couldn't pay for it any longer!

jonc 30 March 2016 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11815044)
The government needs to do something. Maybe they should insist that all future pitches for infrastructure projects must include the use of British steel

The British steel industry needs something a bit more immediate than that. Not sure if it's possible at since EU regulations limits state aid, but should it be re-nationalised, an industry that is making a £1m loss every day, a cost that the taxpayer will have to bear?

dpb 30 March 2016 04:22 PM

I should think we drop a mill a day on a lot more mundane ****e to be fair

PaulC72 30 March 2016 04:23 PM

if they go will it mean the other one that managed to survive recently will get more work?

BrownPantsRacing 30 March 2016 04:26 PM

Considering we pay the EU £55M a DAY as a membership fee I'm inclined to agree.

warrenm2 30 March 2016 05:05 PM

No state aid because of EU rules, high energy prices due to EU rules, no money (partly) because we pay the EU, hmmm what to do on June 23rd? LEAVE THE EU! :idea:

Martin2005 30 March 2016 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11815060)
The British steel industry needs something a bit more immediate than that. Not sure if it's possible at since EU regulations limits state aid, but should it be re-nationalised, an industry that is making a £1m loss every day, a cost that the taxpayer will have to bear?

Agreed, but with government assurance about future procurement contracts, that will make finding a buyer easier.

Also, given the ciclical nature of the steel industry, a government buy out may not be a terrible idea.. What for the market to recover, then sell it?

Martin2005 30 March 2016 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11815087)
No state aid because of EU rules, high energy prices due to EU rules, no money (partly) because we pay the EU, hmmm what to do on June 23rd? LEAVE THE EU! :idea:

If only we weren't in the EU, then China wouldn't be able to flood the market with cheap steel...

dpb 30 March 2016 08:13 PM

How does Germany get to keep their steelworks ??

johned 30 March 2016 08:33 PM

Deja vu with the mining industry.

boomer 30 March 2016 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11815200)
How does Germany get to keep their steelworks ??

Maybe because electricity is a little cheaper...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeytOOfW4AAqClK.jpg

...due to the eco-tards in the UK!

mb

Martin2005 30 March 2016 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 11815210)
Maybe because electricity is a little cheaper...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeytOOfW4AAqClK.jpg

...due to the eco-tards in the UK!

mb

Not sure where your chart comes from, but it didnt feel right to me so I looked into this in detail, and it turns out that German industry pays a lot more for energy than UK industry.

Now this could be because the numbers you posted are specific to the steel industry, if so fair enough.

It would seem though that the German 'eco-tards' are even more effective than their UK equivalents.

ski 30 March 2016 11:29 PM

Stupid green policies have been destroying industry in the UK (and most of the western world), we pay huge subsidies on crazy green projects that are unreliable and cant stand on their own feet. Huge waste of taxes, and it has driven energy prices sky high. Makes me laugh when the idiots from the press say its not possible to subsidize the steel industry when hundreds of millions are squandered on green garbage. Hopefully a huge wake up call to ditch idiotic green policies.

madscoob 30 March 2016 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11815087)

there is state aid to every uk company, actually that employs people with children, its called CHILD TAX CREDIT and without it i for one wouldn't bother working, £7.49 per plus ctc is still probably less than the £12.50 per hour to sit on your sofa with 3 kids and a rented house

Martin2005 30 March 2016 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by ski (Post 11815295)
Stupid green policies have been destroying industry in the UK (and most of the western world), we pay huge subsidies on crazy green projects that are unreliable and cant stand on their own feet. Huge waste of taxes, and it has driven energy prices sky high. Makes me laugh when the idiots from the press say its not possible to subsidize the steel industry when hundreds of millions are squandered on green garbage. Hopefully a huge wake up call to ditch idiotic green policies.

If we halved energy prices there would still be an even bigger over-supply of steel, and our steel industry still wouldn't be able to compete.

dpb 31 March 2016 02:55 AM

I just think if we import absolutely everything, from energy through to milk through to workers ,it leaves us vulnerable

steve05wrx 31 March 2016 03:36 AM

Hi,
If Tata can't make money out of their UK steel plants - who would possibly want to buy them?
I understand the big problem is the low import tariff imposed by the EU on Chinese imported steel - that is being sold (dumped) at below cost.
US don't allow dumping in their market - they have a near 300% duty on Chinese steel (they did something similar on Chinese solar panels).
The EU need to grow some balls and increase the tariffs on Chinese steel - below cost dumping by China is effectively state sponsored economic terrorism - as it screws up local producers (once they go bust the Chinese can simply increase prices again).
Cheers
Steve

dpb 31 March 2016 04:13 AM

Ah , but then we wouldn't get our power station built. ( apparently )

But I agree. Same in Zim, where girlfriend comes from. Not that Mugabe gives a toss

dpb 31 March 2016 04:28 AM

Surprised alcazar hasn't piped up.
Has he fallen off his perch ?

hodgy0_2 31 March 2016 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11815291)
Not sure where your chart comes from, but it didnt feel right to me so I looked into this in detail, and it turns out that German industry pays a lot more for energy than UK industry.

Now this could be because the numbers you posted are specific to the steel industry, if so fair enough.

It would seem though that the German 'eco-tards' are even more effective than their UK equivalents.

It comes from those assorted nutters at the Global Policy Warming Federation - an organisation dedicated to peddling crap about climate change

Via a pseudoscience conspiracy site - "what's up with that" (WUWT) who peddle bat sh1t crazy ideas

WUWT often have articles denigrating "elitist" scientist - a recent example was by Melanie Phillips, she openly doubts vaccines and evolution - so dismissing AGW is pretty easy when you are a "crank magnet" and have your draft ideas repeated in theses ridiculous websites

neil-h 31 March 2016 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by steve05wrx (Post 11815318)
Hi,
If Tata can't make money out of their UK steel plants - who would possibly want to buy them?
I understand the big problem is the low import tariff imposed by the EU on Chinese imported steel - that is being sold (dumped) at below cost.
US don't allow dumping in their market - they have a near 300% duty on Chinese steel (they did something similar on Chinese solar panels).
The EU need to grow some balls and increase the tariffs on Chinese steel - below cost dumping by China is effectively state sponsored economic terrorism - as it screws up local producers (once they go bust the Chinese can simply increase prices again).
Cheers
Steve

This man speaks sense. :thumb:

warrenm2 31 March 2016 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11815323)
It comes from those assorted nutters at the Global Policy Warming Federation - an organisation dedicated to peddling crap about climate change

Via a pseudoscience conspiracy site - "what's up with that" (WUWT) who peddle bat sh1t crazy ideas

WUWT often have articles denigrating "elitist" scientist - a recent example was by Melanie Phillips, she openly doubts vaccines and evolution - so dismissing AGW is pretty easy when you are a "crank magnet" and have your draft ideas repeated in theses ridiculous websites

***Ad Hom ALERT ***

(again)

scoobysteve1983 31 March 2016 01:48 PM

to put it into perspective, the royal bank of scotland bail out cost 45bn. this would keep port talbot producing for 123 years! i know its not a viable business at the moment but worth considering.

chocolate_o_brian 31 March 2016 01:49 PM

Just typing this as I finish a 6-2 on the Scunthorpe plant. I dunno if it's going through but apparently Tata are underwriting loans for the possible takeover by Greybull.

My understanding was that the deadline was today but it was an unofficial one, so I should be coming to work tomorrow :lol1:

300 or so people are leaving today on VR/retirement, as its March 31st.

Blue by You 31 March 2016 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983 (Post 11815441)
to put it into perspective, the royal bank of scotland bail out cost 45bn. this would keep port talbot producing for 123 years! i know its not a viable business at the moment but worth considering.

Well said :thumb:

dpb 31 March 2016 02:04 PM

Iv got a quid , will that be enough

jonc 31 March 2016 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983 (Post 11815441)

Perspective is also required regarding your statement too. Steel industry has been in decline for over 25 years and currently only accounts 0.1% of UK's total economy. The loss of the steel industry will not result in the collapse of the UK economy.