ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   New 500hp+ stock location rcm turbo?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1036644-new-500hp-stock-location-rcm-turbo.html)

MrBlobby 29 March 2016 08:48 PM

New 500hp+ stock location rcm turbo?!

http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/store/product/551-rcm-precision-stock-position-billet-turbo

Anyone had any experience of these? Stock location. Says liquid cooled so am I right in thinking that's water cooled or just another way of saying oil cooled.

Print out says it made 528hp at the fly on a spec c..no other details though.

I know since going live with the new site products have been trickled on slowly and I'm currently in the market for a new turbo.

Anyone shed more light?

sti4bob 30 March 2016 09:00 AM

Just had my blob done with a Paul Finch 2.1 stroker (CDB) engine and the R C M precision turbo all finished by C P Motorsports in Bristol.

Running in Map last week and now running it in so I will let you know how it proceeds. The plan is to take it to R C M for its final map by Duncan soon.

BrownPantsRacing 30 March 2016 09:56 AM

Subscribed to see the results. :)

MartynJ 30 March 2016 11:55 AM

I've mapped a fair few of these now, 2 litre stock STi motor, 2.1, and 2.5.
Works very well indeed.

BrownPantsRacing 30 March 2016 01:28 PM

Very interesting. Great solution for big power with standard turbo position. What is spool like with this kind of power on standard position downpipe?

bustaMOVEs 30 March 2016 02:52 PM

It's a presicion turbo, 525 rated turbo.
It's well as I was going to get one, but they are slightly laggy as lad I know has just fitted one. (Expected really for a 500+ turbo)
He had to cut the block and box casing for it to fit.
Sumo power are doing these ordered direct from America for £1500 delivered to your door.

Ash Webster 30 March 2016 03:03 PM

will the intake pipe still fit through the manifold? (uprated Samco or similar obviously)

bustaMOVEs 30 March 2016 03:07 PM

Yes as they are still stock size

bustaMOVEs 30 March 2016 03:08 PM

They don't come with fitting kit though, ie water/oil lines. You have to buy kit seperate

Ash Webster 30 March 2016 03:14 PM

stock size, stock location, 500+ bhp... seems to good to be true no?

joe v3sti 30 March 2016 03:46 PM

I know a guy who has one :)

JGlanzaV 30 March 2016 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11815046)
I know a guy who has one :)

Me too!

And Ash, why is it too good to be true? Plenty of stock 500bhp capable turbos these days. I ran my last stock position turbo at 550hp+

Ash Webster 31 March 2016 09:58 AM

Its just I thought the whole point of a rotated setup was to fit the 'bigger' turbo in there as you cant run a big enough turbo inlet pipe through the manifold?
As you can see by the line under my name I'm always trying to learn to please correct me if that's a mistake.

matt-c 31 March 2016 11:11 AM

Rotated = much less lag

JGlanzaV 31 March 2016 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 11815377)
Rotated = much less lag

Not really....

Dazzles Fiesti 15 April 2016 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 11815377)
Rotated = much less lag

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11815489)
Not really....

Can anyone expand on either of these quotes?

I'm definitely not doubting/questioning them, just trying to learn more but quick simple statements like these don't help with the learning process.

If the answer is I need to search more, I will do just that but when I read those type of statements, it feels like it's just someone repeating something someone else has said/typed/written OR it's personal opinions??

Sorry, maybe it's my character but I like to have explanation to things and like facts :thumb:

gazney101 15 April 2016 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dazzles Fiesti (Post 11821347)
Can anyone expand on either of these quotes?

I'm definitely not doubting/questioning them, just trying to learn more but quick simple statements like these don't help with the learning process.

If the answer is I need to search more, I will do just that but when I read those type of statements, it feels like it's just someone repeating something someone else has said/typed/written OR it's personal opinions??

Sorry, maybe it's my character but I like to have explanation to things and like facts :thumb:

I don't know how a 500hp stock position turbo would compare against a 500hp rotated turbo of exactly the same dimensions, however I do know that on a 2 litre newage sti with standard JDM heads a rotated gtx3076r will spool faster than a smaller stock location td06 20g with similar sized manifold and up pipe used on both.

I think the characteristics of the two setups are different also. Mine with the rotated kit reminds me of a 2 stroke engine by the way it delivers it's power and the stock location seems smoother and more progressive. IMO...

bustaMOVEs 15 April 2016 09:24 PM

Rotated generally seems to make more power, better intake flow and of course looks boss too, theoretically should be slightly more responsive I'd think.
But for the cost of getting all stuff to go rotated you need to decide if it's worth it for your intended purpose of modding.

johnlogie 15 April 2016 11:51 PM

Stock location big turbo means big inlet pipe = big pain in the arse getting the inlet pipe to fit. I bought a lateral inlet pipe, chopped it, got a 3" stainless pipe, chopped it and made it fit! it wasn't fun but made 2 bar and its still together so all's good

bustaMOVEs 16 April 2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by johnlogie (Post 11821564)
Stock location big turbo means big inlet pipe = big pain in the arse getting the inlet pipe to fit. I bought a lateral inlet pipe, chopped it, got a 3" stainless pipe, chopped it and made it fit! it wasn't fun but made 2 bar and its still together so all's good

Just realised, I've got your lateral intake running 2 bar with it, I went through the same and tbh it's the best fit out of 3 I had.
Could do with a custom one made but it's good ATM.

Ash Webster 16 April 2016 06:09 PM

so you can fit a big garrett and just make a better inlet pipe rather than go the whole rotated setup?

banny sti 16 April 2016 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ash Webster (Post 11821740)
so you can fit a big garrett and just make a better inlet pipe rather than go the whole rotated setup?

Nope because the exhaust flanges are completely different to the subaru flanges, the garrett turbo has a T3 up pipe flange and 4 bolt flange for the downpipe

Rotated GT30R fitted to my first classic, it was functional rather than blingy

Attachment 35283

Attachment 35284

gazney101 16 April 2016 07:10 PM

Rotated ftw

Ash Webster 16 April 2016 07:26 PM

Ahhh ok thought it was too good to be true :D **** the lack of space in the classic engine bay

banny sti 16 April 2016 07:34 PM

Not saying the latest breed of standard position turbos wont perform the same as a rotated, as I can only compare what 450bhp felt like on both setups the rotated power delivery felt more aggressive and pulled harder.

bigdal 16 April 2016 07:54 PM

I've got a stock location Owen developments Garret GT3082R

domino46 17 April 2016 08:16 AM

I went for a forced performance red turbo from the states (stock position ) , great turbo and nearly half the price of most UK turbos , used there own 84mm intake pipe that matches the front housing of there turbos and this was a easy fit aswell to my surprise ,, it's made 531bhp @1.75bar so very happy with the results

As for the rotated set ups , iv had a 450 set up in both standard and rotated form , both none billet and the rotated was a far better setup, would spool better and also sounded loads better lol , but was also three times as much to buy , hence why I went standard position this time around

JGlanzaV 17 April 2016 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11821896)
As for the rotated set ups , iv had a 450 set up in both standard and rotated form , both none billet and the rotated was a far better setup, would spool better and also sounded loads better lol , but was also three times as much to buy , hence why I went standard position this time around

Go on then people I'll bite...

Who has boost graphs to prove a rotated set up spools better? I'm not talking conjecture or feel, I'm talking about verified back to back proof.

Sound is irrelevant lol.

I doubt that there is a significant difference, at least not to warrant the extra costs. If there is I'll rotate my standard position turbo...

I appreciate that there is only a certain amount of room and the bigger the turbo the need for rotated becomes greater to be able to fit it in.

domino46 17 April 2016 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11821906)
Go on then people I'll bite...

Who has boost graphs to prove a rotated set up spools better? I'm not talking conjecture or feel, I'm talking about verified back to back proof.

Sound is irrelevant lol.

I doubt that there is a significant difference, at least not to warrant the extra costs. If there is I'll rotate my standard position turbo...

I appreciate that there is only a certain amount of room and the bigger the turbo the need for rotated becomes greater to be able to fit it in.

My post wasn't intended to make anyone bite so don't think it was aimed at you as it wasn't , just my experience with the two set ups ,,, I'm going back quite a few years when the rotated set ups were very new and stock position turbos weren't making the numbers they are now and there wasn't any billet stuff around so the difference was obvious between the two (450 on each Set up) but I don't have any graphs as proof for you to compare on a fair basis,, with the all the work that's gone into the stock position turbos now I personally couldn't justify the extra cost involved for a rotated setup that would get me the numbers I wanted when I could get one so cheap ,,but would the extra cost get me a better working turbo in rotated form , I would say there is a good chance the answer would be yes going by my experience so far but that still doesn't mean I could justify it :thumb:

sti4bob 17 April 2016 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11814867)
Subscribed to see the results. :)

will try and go pro the event and post it ::thumb: