ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Styling (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/)
-   -   exterior conversion? is it possible? (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/1036535-exterior-conversion-is-it-possible.html)

harveyd 26 March 2016 11:24 AM

exterior conversion? is it possible?

Hi all i have been doing allot of research into engine swaps from a newage 2.5 wrx to an impreza classic. it seems that the prices here and there go on forever. althought it may seem crazy i find the subaru impreza classic to be the nicest shape. is it possible to covert the exterior of a hawkeye to an impreza classic? has it been done before? i am very serious and i am highly considering attempting it as a project

PurpleBeast479 27 March 2016 10:22 AM

I've seen bug to blob exterior conversion before. I think that was possible due to both models being very similar in dimensions. From memory, a classic and a hawk eye are very different in dimensions. If you really are going to make a go of it, then I'd gladly follow any thread you were looking to post.

Best of luck bud

yabbadoo4 27 March 2016 09:46 PM

is it april fools already? if you think the classic shape is nicest then why do you want to graft a hawkeye exterior on to it? i cant wait to see the pictures when you,ve finished. :thumb:

The Pink Ninja 27 March 2016 11:57 PM

For what benefit? Would you keep the classic rear end or change that too?

PurpleBeast479 28 March 2016 10:41 AM

His talking about changing a hawkeye into a classic...

The Pink Ninja 28 March 2016 12:30 PM

Why lol, you can get a classic shell for £500

mickywrx 28 March 2016 07:52 PM

Probably means a re-shell. Hawkeye tax is probably too much. ;)

**jay** 28 March 2016 08:50 PM

Lol lets make a big fat new age into a classic, not going to work totally different shell just find a good import shell

jaygsi 29 March 2016 02:14 PM

Completely pointless task, buy a classic if you want a classic, plus why the 2.5 thorntons engine?

harveyd 08 April 2016 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11814055)
is it april fools already? if you think the classic shape is nicest then why do you want to graft a hawkeye exterior on to it? i cant wait to see the pictures when you,ve finished. :thumb:

no the other way around - classic exterior but its basically a nice new age hawk eye underneath

harveyd 08 April 2016 07:00 AM

ok guys would it be possible to put a classic rear end onto a hawk eye?

BBB3 08 April 2016 08:33 AM

what a bell end.

sivo 08 April 2016 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BBB3 (Post 11818563)
what a bell end.

:lol1:

**jay** 08 April 2016 09:15 AM

Whats this forum coming too,directly under this thread is "home made ecu" lol

Markyscoob 22 April 2016 07:26 PM

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.....

The Classic Impreza, made from 1991 to 1999 is a DIFFERENT CAR to the New AGE Impreza made from 1999 to 2007.

The only things in common are a few engine bits and other sundry mechanical components, such as any manufacturer would share. Probably as much in common as to a Legacy...

So. basically NO. Different width, length, floorpan, everything. NOTHING is interchangeable in panels or cosmetic parts.

Got it?

If you want a classic, but a classic. The only swaps that work are facelifted classic and early classic and any New Age car to any other New Age car is more or less doable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the line that should be drawn under this idea....

Arch 23 April 2016 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Markyscoob (Post 11824251)
Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.....

The Classic Impreza, made from 1991 to 1999 is a DIFFERENT CAR to the New AGE Impreza made from 1999 to 2007.

The only things in common are a few engine bits and other sundry mechanical components, such as any manufacturer would share. Probably as much in common as to a Legacy...

So. basically NO. Different width, length, floorpan, everything. NOTHING is interchangeable in panels or cosmetic parts.

Got it?

If you want a classic, but a classic. The only swaps that work are facelifted classic and early classic and any New Age car to any other New Age car is more or less doable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the line that should be drawn under this idea....

Total nonsense

The classic floor pan is not far removed from the Newage hence why classic cages will fit in a Newage. Subframes are interchangeable, lateral arms are interchangeable, engines gearbox etc etc in fact pretty much everything can be changed.
My 92 RA has Newage front and rear subframes, Newage rear diff, Spec D gearbox prop etc, Newage rear hubs and shafts, Hatch front hubs, Newage WRX front drive shafts, Newage spec D steering rack and column should I go on LOL

gazney101 23 April 2016 08:30 PM

I've never taken any measurements but I suspect the body of a newage is larger than a classic so getting classic pannels to fit a newage body will be tricky. Probably doable by the right person though.
Crazy goings on on Scoobynet lately lol

Kaeo 23 April 2016 08:38 PM

I think the point is that anything can be made to fit, exterior wise. However, the fact that he has to ask would suggest that the op has neither the skills nor the tools to do so. Most of the replies have been amiable, however, I would suggest against trying this. :)

bangshift 25 April 2016 02:37 PM

wow. /end

Markyscoob 26 April 2016 10:01 AM

Arch, RTFQ. As I said, many manufacturers reuse MECHANICAL parts and so the floorpan probably will accept lots of part interchangabilities. do you have New Age front seats? There is an improvement!

The basic idea of making the New Age look like a Classic is proof of one fact...there's always one!

Seriously, and a LOT of the Bell end comments are a bit weak, is that the structure of the shell is substantially different. There's a lot of meat in the New Age to accommodate crash protection legislation. The Classic is externally smaller so you couldn't put a classic outer panels onto a New Age.

No doubt you could take a classic shell and fit more or less all the contents of a New Age into it if you try hard enough..... You could even cut the floor off and weld a New Age shell floor in as well...if you try hard enough.

But why?

bangshift 26 April 2016 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Markyscoob (Post 11825496)
But why?

But why?

But why?

But why?

But why?

:brickwall

BrownPantsRacing 26 April 2016 10:54 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...472cbe7b8d.jpg

gazney101 26 April 2016 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11825516)

Is he mad... He should be wearing a Hi viz and a hard hat Tut tut