ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Ebay reinforced intake pipe? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1036330-ebay-reinforced-intake-pipe.html)

Tarling 20 March 2016 02:57 PM

Ebay reinforced intake pipe?

Is anyone using eBay reinforced intake pipe, if so do they seem OK.

I'm really not to keen on splashing £200+ on samco or similar, my thinking is as long as there reinforced and don't collapse a cheaper alternative should be OK unless fitment is terrible!

Any other options?

Thanks
Luke

Khandaris 22 March 2016 07:34 PM

Been down this route, if you have a TD04 your cheap intake will be fine. If TD05 or bigger it will definitely collapse at the elbow under boost. - tried, tested and proven

Tarling 28 March 2016 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, sounds like I need to put my hand in my pocket and get a samco👍

Tidgy 28 March 2016 07:46 PM

cheap ebay tat = cheap ebay tat, with tuning things tend to be pricey for a reason

Tarling 28 March 2016 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11814348)
cheap ebay tat = cheap ebay tat, with tuning things tend to be pricey for a reason

Totally agree just thought I'd check if anyone had decent feedback with cheaper alternatives, after all its only a piece of silicone pipe!

CharlesTuna 29 March 2016 10:19 PM

Samco intake hoses are like hens teeth at the moment, have been quoted 6 - 8 weeks for availability:(

So went with Scoobyworx own brand 5/6 ply 120ish for catch can intake 160ish for normal intake with breather pipes.

jonnyricer2 29 March 2016 10:54 PM

Viper Performance do good quality hoses.

Tarling 29 March 2016 11:14 PM

Sounds like I'll be giving samco a miss too!

I looked on the scoobyworx Website and it only shows there's with 3" inlet! They look good qaulity tho.

Been looking at viper pipes and they do look good also with good price :thumb:

Cheers

PedroFT 29 March 2016 11:34 PM

I have a water kit (TTRacing) from ebay (seller autopartsupermart_uk), since my my99 rubber hoses where getting very "crunchy". I don't have any complaints, actually I only praise them. Been running them for 2 years, last year my thermostat was stuck closed, it overheated and handled the extra pressure for a couple of moths without any issues.
If I needed an intake, I'd give it a shot.. but hey, I'm a sucker for cheap! :p

HoodedLime 29 March 2016 11:51 PM

I have this hose at home: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4010185516...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Unfortunately due to my stupidity I f**ked it up during fitting and had to bin it but it seems extremely well made. I weight 100kg and can stand on this pipe and it won't collapse or even bend.

Tarling 30 March 2016 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by HoodedLime (Post 11814814)
I have this hose at home: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4010185516...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Unfortunately due to my stupidity I f**ked it up during fitting and had to bin it but it seems extremely well made. I weight 100kg and can stand on this pipe and it won't collapse or even bend.

That's the one I was looking at on eBay! But I think I'll go in the middle and get a viper one! Out of curiosity how did you manage to mess yours up as there's a possibility I could do the same! lol

HoodedLime 30 March 2016 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tarling (Post 11815184)
That's the one I was looking at on eBay! But I think I'll go in the middle and get a viper one! Out of curiosity how did you manage to mess yours up as there's a possibility I could do the same! lol

I was trying to fit it without removing manifold. Managed to squeeze it in but it didn't want to go over the turbo, looked like it was a bit too long. So I took it out, compared it with original one and it was about 20mm longer. So I trimmed it 😳😳😳. In the end had to buy original oneone, lift manifold up and fit it that way. Absolute nightmare and money down the drain lol

Tarling 30 March 2016 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by HoodedLime (Post 11815216)
I was trying to fit it without removing manifold. Managed to squeeze it in but it didn't want to go over the turbo, looked like it was a bit too long. So I took it out, compared it with original one and it was about 20mm longer. So I trimmed it 😳😳😳. In the end had to buy original oneone, lift manifold up and fit it that way. Absolute nightmare and money down the drain lol

I take it the trimming didn't go well! I'm planning to do the the old just slip it under the manifold as it looks so easy in the videos yet everything I read says pita just lift the manifold either way it sounds like a ballache!!!
cheers

HoodedLime 30 March 2016 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tarling (Post 11815237)
I take it the trimming didn't go well! I'm planning to do the the old just slip it under the manifold as it looks so easy in the videos yet everything I read says pita just lift the manifold either way it sounds like a ballache!!!
cheers

Well it didn't have to be trimmed at all, now it is too short lol. If you want my advice, lift your manifold. Only 4 bolts each side and it will go up quite a way. No need to take off fuel lines or anything. The only other thing that you'll have to remove is power steering pipe. Then you lift your manifold about 50-60mm up, bend your fuel lines down a bit and you will fit it relatively easy ☺