ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   tein vs bilstein (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/1036277-tein-vs-bilstein.html)

nufctoon 18 March 2016 06:51 PM

tein vs bilstein

right the bc coilovers have got some bad reviews on here so will be giving them a miss, my budget is about the 1k mark and its between these two. any recommendations which are the better ones? also which other mods should i do on the suspension arbs, drop links, anti lift kit?

the car in question is a widetrack blob thanks

bustaMOVEs 18 March 2016 07:12 PM

Out of them 2 blistein pss9 b14 for fast road or b16 for track.
However I think I'm going to go for kW v3 once I've saved some pennies, don't corrode as quick and better quality.

nufctoon 18 March 2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11810777)
Out of them 2 blistein pss9 b14 for fast road or b16 for track.
However I think I'm going to go for kW v3 once I've saved some pennies, don't corrode as quick and better quality.

will you be doing any other suspension mods or top mounts?

bustaMOVEs 18 March 2016 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by nufctoon (Post 11810778)
will you be doing any other suspension mods or top mounts?

Oh sorry yeah, I've already got f&r arbs, uprated drop links, hard race engine mounts, dog bone, diff brace, gearbox mounts, shifter bushes etc.

Planning to get rear group n top mounts, front c max camber top mount, alk, roll center kit when I get new suspension.

I have tein basic super street on ATM and I absolutely hate them.

S204Darren 18 March 2016 08:16 PM

Bilstein all the way got B16 on my time attack car can't praise them enough.

nufctoon 18 March 2016 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by S204Darren (Post 11810819)
Bilstein all the way got B16 on my time attack car can't praise them enough.

what are they like on a daily the bilsteins?

nufctoon 18 March 2016 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11810812)
Oh sorry yeah, I've already got f&r arbs, uprated drop links, hard race engine mounts, dog bone, diff brace, gearbox mounts, shifter bushes etc.

Planning to get rear group n top mounts, front c max camber top mount, alk, roll center kit when I get new suspension.

I have tein basic super street on ATM and I absolutely hate them.

i take it the car isn't your daily then?

bustaMOVEs 18 March 2016 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by nufctoon (Post 11810871)
i take it the car isn't your daily then?

Lol, no. Toy.

S204Darren 18 March 2016 10:35 PM

B14's for a daily and then get Chevron to set it up.

BBB3 19 March 2016 09:43 AM

Bilsteins B14's with whiteline max c top mounts, perfect for road.

thats what was on my hawk spec c as you know terry.

InTurbo 19 March 2016 12:03 PM

Chevron do a custom b14 set up with more bump travel and slightly softer dampening for road use.

nufctoon 19 March 2016 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by InTurbo (Post 11810986)
Chevron do a custom b14 set up with more bump travel and slightly softer dampening for road use.

what do they come in at?

joe v3sti 19 March 2016 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by nufctoon (Post 11811019)
what do they come in at?

If that's what your after, I would speak with Alyn at AS Performance.
I see he's just provided a set for a customer here https://mobile.twitter.com/ASPerform...77872979927040

He is also a agent for kw, Nitron am ought all other popular brands.
Something else to consider is, you will get an unbiased opinion and advice from someone like alyn, with him being an agent and distributer for so many different brands, he does not have a vested interest, in off loading a particular product, unlike some retailers.

Give him a shout, 0191 410 3770
http://asperformance.com

He might even be in today

Joe

InTurbo 19 March 2016 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by nufctoon (Post 11811019)
what do they come in at?

Same as the standard B14, Simon modifys them in house. If you partner them with the stock or group n top mounts they make a very good road setup.

If you use them with a pillow ball adjustable top mount they will transmit quite a bit more harshness into the car.

Last time I spoke to him they were around 900 ish supplied or 1400 fitted and setup. Thats with using your oem top mounts.

nufctoon 20 March 2016 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by InTurbo (Post 11811073)
Same as the standard B14, Simon modifys them in house. If you partner them with the stock or group n top mounts they make a very good road setup.

If you use them with a pillow ball adjustable top mount they will transmit quite a bit more harshness into the car.

Last time I spoke to him they were around 900 ish supplied or 1400 fitted and setup. Thats with using your oem top mounts.

ah ok cheers mate

nufctoon 20 March 2016 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11811045)
If that's what your after, I would speak with Alyn at AS Performance.
I see he's just provided a set for a customer here https://mobile.twitter.com/ASPerform...77872979927040

He is also a agent for kw, Nitron am ought all other popular brands.
Something else to consider is, you will get an unbiased opinion and advice from someone like alyn, with him being an agent and distributer for so many different brands, he does not have a vested interest, in off loading a particular product, unlike some retailers.

Give him a shout, 0191 410 3770
http://asperformance.com

He might even be in today

Joe

cheers mate

nufctoon 12 August 2016 03:06 PM

Except for bb3 does anyone else have experience with using just the b14 dampers and top mounts? Would i need all the bushes arbs and anti lift kit

MeisterR 12 August 2016 03:27 PM

What do you use your car for?
And what do you want from it?

One thing that makes a huge difference is adjustable damping, depending on what are your focus.

Jerrick

SmurfyBhoy 12 August 2016 03:40 PM

Whats the best setup purely for b-road abuse in the uk with the bumps and potholes not for any track use whatsoever ???

plenty 12 August 2016 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11866395)
Whats the best setup purely for b-road abuse in the uk with the bumps and potholes not for any track use whatsoever ???

P1 springs, available new from @2pot, with KYB dampers. The Prodrive Bilstein dampers are better still but like hen's teeth now.

SmurfyBhoy 12 August 2016 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by plenty (Post 11866398)
P1 springs, available new from @2pot, with KYB dampers. The Prodrive Bilstein dampers are better still but like hen's teeth now.

Sorry i should have says on a newage blobeye non widetrack sti ?

romford-boy 12 August 2016 05:05 PM

I've just installed the Bilstein B16.

If the B14 is anything like them then they'll be amazing. Really compliant, no firmer than an existing STI over the pot holes, but miles better in the corners.

Of course we're not comparing like for like, the Bilstein kit is very expensive and one of the best out there.

Other comments:

(1) The B16's are adjustable (B14's are not), but as the knobs are located at the bottom of the piston and that requires you crawl under your car to adjust them, you won't be doing much adjusting once the set up is right.

(2) Litchfield no longer do (much) work on Subarus and have a lot of old Impreza / Bilstein stock. My B16's came from them and were half price. Call them and see what is left, you may be in luck.

(3) Do have a think about what anti roll bars do - in essence they reduce the independence of your suspension and installing one won't necessarily make things better.

(4) If you want a lovely set up then put the Bilsteins on and work out what ancillaries the S203 and S204 use. You're not going to set a car up better than those.

nufctoon 12 August 2016 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MeisterR (Post 11866393)
What do you use your car for?
And what do you want from it?

One thing that makes a huge difference is adjustable damping, depending on what are your focus.

Jerrick

Mainly for fast road set up tbh I've found them on demontweeks for 900 inc vat and delivery.

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11866431)
I've just installed the Bilstein B16.

If the B14 is anything like them then they'll be amazing. Really compliant, no firmer than an existing STI over the pot holes, but miles better in the corners.

Of course we're not comparing like for like, the Bilstein kit is very expensive and one of the best out there.

Other comments:

(1) The B16's are adjustable (B14's are not), but as the knobs are located at the bottom of the piston and that requires you crawl under your car to adjust them, you won't be doing much adjusting once the set up is right.

(2) Litchfield no longer do (much) work on Subarus and have a lot of old Impreza / Bilstein stock. My B16's came from them and were half price. Call them and see what is left, you may be in luck.

(3) Do have a think about what anti roll bars do - in essence they reduce the independence of your suspension and installing one won't necessarily make things better.

(4) If you want a lovely set up then put the Bilsteins on and work out what ancillaries the S203 and S204 use. You're not going to set a car up better than those.

Cheers for that info mate what top mounts did you use and who set yours up"?

plenty 12 August 2016 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11866409)

https://www.scoobynet.com/1016983-bi...l#post11704307

2pot 12 August 2016 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11866409)

I am working on some new blob/hawk sti springs - with a more progressive front bump stop and a stiffer rear stop, for the following struts:
Inverted, widetrack, oem sti and inverted, kyb ultra sr (non-widetrack saloon) Non-inverted kyb ultra sr (non-widetrack wagon and saloon)
Koni inserts.
The front stops in the inverted oem sti and inverted kyb ultra sr struts, are too stiff for undulating/uneven roads, poor/slippery surfaces with lowered springs.

SmurfyBhoy 12 August 2016 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2pot (Post 11866449)
I am working on some new blob/hawk sti springs - with a more progressive front bump stop and a stiffer rear stop, for the following struts:
Inverted, widetrack, oem sti and inverted, kyb ultra sr (non-widetrack saloon) Non-inverted kyb ultra sr (non-widetrack wagon and saloon)
Koni inserts.
The front stops in the inverted oem sti and inverted kyb ultra sr struts, are too stiff for undulating/uneven roads, poor/slippery surfaces with lowered springs.

Is this custom.

Or can it be bought ?

romford-boy 12 August 2016 10:56 PM

You don't need fancy top mounts.

Installer will re-use the existing rubber ones.

I've found out installing suspension isn't hard.

nufctoon 12 August 2016 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by romford-boy (Post 11866512)
You don't need fancy top mounts.

Installer will re-use the existing rubber ones.

I've found out installing suspension isn't hard.

Cheers mate will give it a go

2pot 13 August 2016 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11866471)
Is this custom.

Or can it be bought ?

The rear spring prototype needs alteration.
After that, another road test.
After that, send a few sets out for further testing.
After that, for sale.

cam87 13 August 2016 09:10 PM

im in the same situation now myself and have the same amount to spend. The car i bought is knocking on the rear and has cusco coilovers on and from what i hear the parts are only available from japan and its better to get a new set :wonder:
shortlist is -
meister
tein
bilstein (obviously more expensive)