ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   JDM Hatch spec C Remap (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1036178-jdm-hatch-spec-c-remap.html)

hedgecutter 15 March 2016 08:22 AM

JDM Hatch spec C Remap

Hi,
My hatch arrives this week from Japan, and I am looking for some advice on its remap, which Martyn J will be doing.I just want a smooth running daily, so I am just mapping for uk fuel, so plan open source as it is cheaper, keeping cats in place.
So I would like folks opinions on open source vs race rom, solely looking at drivability, not features, and would also like to know if it is worth upgrading the boost solenoid; I am chasing drivability, not higher figures.
Thanks.

plenty 15 March 2016 03:55 PM

For your requirements OS should be perfectly adequate: choice of mapper is more important than choice of software, so if you have a good OS mapper available to you then go with that. OS will be a fair bit cheaper than EcuTek as well.

My latest car was EcuTek mapped when I acquired it, and although I've had good success with an OS mapper I've chosen to retain EcuTek to retain (a) dual maps and (b) per-gear boost control. I personally have no use for flat-foot shifting, anti-lag or launch control, although others' needs may be different.

RS_Matt 15 March 2016 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by plenty (Post 11809678)
choice of mapper is more important than choice of software

Agreed.

I asked my 1st mapper for 1.4 bar, I got 1.0 bar on rr
I asked my 2nd mapper for 1.6 bar he abandoned the session
I asked my 3rd mapper for 1.6 bar, he told me he got 1.4, I got 1.0 bar on rr
My 4th mapper forgot I'd booked him
I asked my 5th mapper for 1.6 bar, I got 1.35 on rr

Tidgy 17 March 2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11809814)
Agreed.

I asked my 1st mapper for 1.4 bar, I got 1.0 bar on rr
I asked my 2nd mapper for 1.6 bar he abandoned the session
I asked my 3rd mapper for 1.6 bar, he told me he got 1.4, I got 1.0 bar on rr
My 4th mapper forgot I'd booked him
I asked my 5th mapper for 1.6 bar, I got 1.35 on rr

You can ask for all you want, but doesn't mean it's advisable to go that far. A decent mapper will only push a car as far as safe and there's no gaurenties the car will make and hold that boost level anyway.

RS_Matt 17 March 2016 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11810312)
You can ask for all you want, but doesn't mean it's advisable to go that far. A decent mapper will only push a car as far as safe and there's no gaurenties the car will make and hold that boost level anyway.

A missing actuator hose pill may have been the issue for the first 3 maps! Last map was stated for safety.

hedgecutter 18 March 2016 10:52 PM

I`ll probably go open source, cost wise, and I understand that you can run mafless still with open source ? What about the 3 port boost solenoid

plenty 19 March 2016 12:57 PM

You'll need an OS mapper who can utilise Carberry in order to go MAFless.