ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine noise (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1036046-engine-noise.html)

daletomo 12 March 2016 03:10 PM

Engine noise

Can anyone help i currently have a 2006 hawkeye Sti my engine has developed a strange knocking noise sounds like metal to metal!! Been into garage they wasn't 100% sure what it could be!! I'm hoping someone might have had the same problem and can help me out
please take a look at new video revving up and the noise speeds up http://youtu.be/ZB7foAK9sLU

yabbadoo4 12 March 2016 03:35 PM

hmmm hopefully not the dreaded engine knock. does sound louder near the turbo tho, maybe the bearings have gone in your turbo. post another video whilst revving the engine as engine knock has a specific sound but its easier to hear when revving the engine. its more like a low, thudding metallic noise that becomes more prominet as you rev.

yabbadoo4 12 March 2016 03:40 PM

this is the noise you dont want to hear when revving :
good luck.

daletomo 12 March 2016 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11808426)
hmmm hopefully not the dreaded engine knock. does sound louder near the turbo tho, maybe the bearings have gone in your turbo. post another video whilst revving the engine as engine knock has a specific sound but its easier to hear when revving the engine. its more like a low, thudding metallic noise that becomes more prominet as you rev.

I will do another video tomorrow when the engine gets to temperature the noise stops! Because when I took it to the garage he couldn't hear anything!! The Garage is about 7 mile from my house. The garage said they think it's internal but I want a second opinion on it!! http://youtu.be/ZB7foAK9sLU

daletomo 12 March 2016 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11808426)

I will do another video tomorrow when the engine gets to temperature the noise stops! Because when I took it to the garage he couldn't hear anything!! The Garage is about 7 mile from my house. The garage said they think it's internal but I want a second opinion on it!!

merlin24 12 March 2016 06:45 PM

Could be piston slap from cold,worn cambelt tensioner or front pulley loose.
Onset of big end failure can be heard around 2500rpm coming off the throttle.

Hope it's nothing serious though.

Mick

daletomo 12 March 2016 07:05 PM

Hi

Had all belts off garage have checked all pulleys I will put a other vid on tomorrow whilst revving it slightly see if that can help cheers for your replies appreciate it

scooberuni 12 March 2016 10:48 PM

Could it be your clutch fork? On mine, where the clutch fork pokes out of the engine and connects with the slave cylinder, it makes a metallic tapping noise for some reason. I've had my car for 4 years now and it's always made this noise as far as I can remember

daletomo 14 March 2016 07:15 PM

Hi

Does anyone think it sounds like bottom end!! Few people said it sounds like it!! Need to take it into scooby clinic but wouldn't mind if anyone else as an opinion on it

**jay** 14 March 2016 07:46 PM

Hard to hear it but don't sound like the bottom end, id get the cam belt tensioners looked at though don't sound too good.
forget that just noticed you have already done that oops lol

yabbadoo4 14 March 2016 07:47 PM

the video i posted is engine knock. around 46 seconds in when he revvs it. if it sounds like that get your wallet out.

joz8968 14 March 2016 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by **jay**
Hard to hear it but don't sound like the bottom end...

I agree that it sounds top end related.

So, hopefully, a big fat "phew", on that front...

yabbadoo4 14 March 2016 08:02 PM

the new video you posted doesnt sound like knock at all. could be the tensioner or bearings. did sound louder near your turbo in the first video tho.

daletomo 14 March 2016 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by **jay** (Post 11809372)
Hard to hear it but don't sound like the bottom end, id get the cam belt tensioners looked at though don't sound too good.
forget that just noticed you have already done that oops lol

I'm only taking the garage word for that lol they didn't charge any labour for the work hey said they did lol

daletomo 14 March 2016 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11809378)
I agree that it sounds top end related.

So, hopefully, a big fat "phew", on that front...

Hoping it's not bottom end it gets quieter when warmed up

daletomo 14 March 2016 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11809380)
the new video you posted doesnt sound like knock at all. could be the tensioner or bearings. did sound louder near your turbo in the first video tho.

It doesn't sound like yours cheers for your advice

daletomo 14 March 2016 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11809373)
the video i posted is engine knock. around 46 seconds in when he revvs it. if it sounds like that get your wallet out.

It doesn't sound like yours pal just abit head doing not knowing what it is