ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Standard wheel nut question. (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1036012-standard-wheel-nut-question.html)

Boostin 11 March 2016 10:35 AM

Standard wheel nut question.

Hi, I've just got a set of 16" standard subaru impreza wheels for my 97 gc8. When I bought the car it had a set of 15" five spoke wheels on, I then changed to a set on 17" speedline wheels. Now when i fitted the new (used) 16" five spoke wheels to my car, the wheel nuts tightened up fine but looked like the tapered part didn't quite sit right inside the tapered part of the wheels. Is this normal? I don't think they were like that on the previous wheels. Also, r all gc8 wheel nuts all the same?

bro82 11 March 2016 12:48 PM

there are few types of wheel nut seats, they can be eithar tapered, flat or radius. Are you sure yours are tapered not radius? OEM wheels should use tapered nuts.

Boostin 11 March 2016 01:28 PM

Yeah mine are the tapered type. They are the same ones that came with the car when I bought it and it was completely standard. I just wondered if they changed the type with different model years. I tried to wobble the wheels while jacked up and there's no play in em. Just looks like they should screw on abit more really.

bro82 11 March 2016 01:40 PM

well, if there's no play and nuts are tight I'd say is fine then, if these are not genuine nuts the tapered part may be longer and it looks like it doesn't sit right.

Boostin 11 March 2016 02:33 PM

Ok thanks mate:thumb:

Boostin 12 March 2016 10:49 AM

Took a pic of em, see what you guys think?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...ba753d5060.jpg

Yeah I know they r rusty :Whatever_
Cheers.

edsel 15 March 2016 05:58 PM

Dont look right, too much space between the taper. I doubt theres much clamping force between the nut and wheel.

Boostin 15 March 2016 06:10 PM

Yeah, thats what I thought mate.

Does anyone know where I could get some new original spec nuts ?

Cpt Jack Sparrow 15 March 2016 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boostin (Post 11809711)
Yeah, thats what I thought mate.

Does anyone know where I could get some new original spec nuts ?

Where are you located mate

I have a set of original spec ones here with Subaru locking wheel nuts too.

sat in a poly bag in the garage taking up space :thumb::thumb:

Boostin 15 March 2016 06:41 PM

Hiya bud, im in widnes near Liverpool. Where abouts are you ?

I bet you're hundreds of miles away :Whatever_

Cpt Jack Sparrow 15 March 2016 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Boostin (Post 11809726)
Hiya bud, im in widnes near Liverpool. Where abouts are you ?

I bet you're hundreds of miles away :Whatever_

Yup, you're right the, Bedfordshire, just by Santa Pod :brickwall

Chris.air 23 March 2016 07:12 PM

They look like the pitch for Speedlines. I know my standard wheel nuts would not fit the Speedlines I had to get a greater pitched like the ones in the picture.

Boostin 23 March 2016 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chris.air (Post 11812578)
They look like the pitch for Speedlines. I know my standard wheel nuts would not fit the Speedlines I had to get a greater pitched like the ones in the picture.

Hhhmmmmmm, interesting.
They're the same nuts it had on when I bought it though. And it was 100% factory standard back then. It had 15" subaru alloys on then. Then I bought 17" speedline chrono wheels and the nuts seemed to fit fine, so I just assumed that the 16" subaru wheels would just be the same pitch /depth as the standard 15" wheels as they're both standard subaru spec wheels.

Just a thought, my nuts have a flat top and I've seen some impreza's with like a round dome type top.

Chris.air 23 March 2016 07:38 PM

That's exactly it they are for your Speedlines even tho both for Subaru different wheels different pitch.

Boostin 23 March 2016 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chris.air (Post 11812586)
That's exactly it they are for your Speedlines even tho both for Subaru different wheels different pitch.

How or why would they be for Speedline wheels though if the car came out of the factory with them nuts on and it didn't have Speedlines on?

Chris.air 23 March 2016 07:44 PM

Pass I just know my standard nuts don't fit with Speedlines. I need the pitch shown in the picture.

Boostin 23 March 2016 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow (Post 11809825)
Yup, you're right the, Bedfordshire, just by Santa Pod :brickwall

Just out of interest what colour are your standard wheel nuts that you said you had mate? Just that I may be at santa pod this Saturday, also how much do you want for em bud?

Cpt Jack Sparrow 24 March 2016 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boostin (Post 11812614)
Just out of interest what colour are your standard wheel nuts that you said you had mate? Just that I may be at santa pod this Saturday, also how much do you want for em bud?

They are chrome, I'll pop a photo uplater today.

Do you want the locking wheel nuts as well?

No idea on price, sure we can come to an arrangement that works for you

Cpt Jack Sparrow 26 March 2016 08:36 AM

Are you coming to Santa Pod.

If you want to have a look, my post code is NN10 9LG.

You are more than welcome to and check what I have.

Boostin 26 March 2016 08:49 AM

Hiya mate, yeah I'm going to the pod today. Are your wheel nuts the type with a round dome type top?

Cpt Jack Sparrow 26 March 2016 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36201

Cpt Jack Sparrow 26 March 2016 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36200

Boostin 26 March 2016 06:08 PM

Sorry bud, I've only just got signal now to get online. I'll have to leave it sorry mate. The Pod took all of my money ha ha.

Thanks anyway mate.