ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Wheel teaser (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1035994-wheel-teaser.html)

nikon-man 10 March 2016 08:37 PM

Wheel teaser

Hi everybody,

thought I would pose a teasing question for everyone and lets have honest answers.....

how many of you have alloys with kerb marks or more on ???

the reason I am asking is I look at the wheels for sale section and the majority of them have kerb marks or more so my thinking is that it is a Scooby thing that either the owners need to know how to drive and park and not just hit the kerb and say I am close or the cars are to powerful for the drivers ..........

just a bit of fun but I know my alloys on my car are 100% mint and my tyres which have been on there for around 6-7 months still even have the little rubber bit on the outside as I am passionate to keep them that way as my thinking is people look at my hatch and say lovely car and nice wheels etc and my car gets used every day..... how many of you have looked at a great looking Scooby and then the wheels are a mess..

CharlySkunkWeed 10 March 2016 08:42 PM

My last scooby wheels were spotless , my current car wheels got refurbed ASAP and are spotless a year later. My next car (in the next few days) had lightly kerbed alloys but the dealer has a new set fitted and all.

Hate kerbed wheels (even minor damage) so avoid kerbs at all costs, and take extreem care when parallel parking. Hope i haven't scudded myself !

jonnyboy82 10 March 2016 09:04 PM

Mine are spotless but the tyre wall actually covers them so they are in effect protected. I did have some rota drifts 9.5j with a stretched tyre went through a width restriction and kerbed one :mad:.

So to this day I will never rock stretched again :lol1::lol1::lol1:

+Doc+ 11 March 2016 04:42 PM

Mine were spotless until I had me tyre changed :(

imprezagaz 11 March 2016 05:13 PM

Mine are spotless as I don't let the missus drive it

Paben 11 March 2016 06:05 PM

Motorway toll booths are often too far away unless you nudge up really close to the high kerbs. An extended card reader would help. The Severn tolls are a typical example and so far I've not boshed any alloys on them. Just a matter of time I suspect.

The Trooper 1815 11 March 2016 06:10 PM

I have two sets. One mint re-furbed and my knock about set.

ALi-B 11 March 2016 06:30 PM

Well, I just took the tyres off a mint 2015 WRX (5000miles) . Only to find the paint on the factory alloys is wafer thin, and when I mean wafer I mean you only have to breath on them with a tyre bar and they'd scratch or chip. (hands up, I did chip the one...it was having Rotas fitted anyway :o ) even where the tyre was rubbing on the bead had worn through the paint to bare metal, so in a few years time with exposure to winter road salt would see them looking very tatty very quickly.

Maybe something to bear in mind if anyone is thinking of a new WRX.

Tyre choice makes a big difference with kerbing/pothole damage/ If the rim protectors aren't thick enough. I found that out the hard (expensive) way with a pair of Pirelli Rossos :(

The Rotas have much better paint quality....pity about the run-out on the inner rim - not what you expect on a brand new wheel from a "quality" manufacturer. :rolleyes: (joke ;) )