ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Coolant Leak (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1035471-coolant-leak.html)

scoobypmp 25 February 2016 03:18 PM

Coolant Leak

1 Attachment(s)
Would anyone have any idea of where this coolant leak is coming from? The car's a classic and the blue tank is the power steering reservoir. I initially found this leak a couple of days ago and discovered that the jubilee clip on the top hose was a bit loose, so thought I'd found it but it's back again!!!

Attachment 37210

giz1978 25 February 2016 03:50 PM

just double check as if the pipe is weak when tighted it, it may of damaged the pipe more or sometimes it can be the coolant cross over but you would see it bubbling out to be fair

scoobypmp 25 February 2016 03:53 PM

The top hose is new, it's only been in all of 3 weeks.
I've read that the gaskets for the crossover pipe can go, would it still bubble if it was the gasket?

merlin24 25 February 2016 09:10 PM

Quite possible it's the coolant cross-over 'O' Rings failed or from the header tank.

Mick

scoobypmp 26 February 2016 11:29 AM

Cheers, I'm gonna take a look later today so hopefully I'll find it.

alcazar 26 February 2016 03:52 PM

Look with engine running. When mine developed a leak, it was only when the system pressurised, so it would spray out (of the top hose), then stop, then spray again etc.

scoobypmp 26 February 2016 04:05 PM

I've looked with the engine running and can't see it leaking from anywhere. I took the top hose off and cleaned around the join, but it was fairly clean. I'll have a look when I go out tomorrow to see if I've cured it or not.

scoobypmp 27 February 2016 06:04 PM

Turns out it might have been an easy fix. I cleaned the mating point of the top hose and put the Jubilee clip a bit closer to the end of the hose and it's not leaked a drop today!
Fingers crossed, it's sorted now!

alcazar 28 February 2016 11:11 AM

Keep an eye.

scoobypmp 28 February 2016 12:40 PM

I will be fella. I'm a bit skeptical about it being that easy!

yabbadoo4 28 February 2016 02:06 PM

my bugeye sprung a leak twice on the metal crossover pipes that run across the block. the first was at the t section which runs off to the throttle body (we just did the throttle delete mod) then again from the pipe that comes from under the header tank and runs right across the block under the manifold across to the passenger side and meets up with the pipes coming from where the first leak was. as alcazar said it was only spotted when the engine was running and was pressurised. both leaks were little pin prick holes and very hard to spot. the second one was a right pain as we had to remove the inlet manifold and a $hit load of other stuff to get to it.

Scoobyjake 24 August 2020 02:09 PM

Cross over leak

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11803273)
my bugeye sprung a leak twice on the metal crossover pipes that run across the block. the first was at the t section which runs off to the throttle body (we just did the throttle delete mod) then again from the pipe that comes from under the header tank and runs right across the block under the manifold across to the passenger side and meets up with the pipes coming from where the first leak was. as alcazar said it was only spotted when the engine was running and was pressurised. both leaks were little pin prick holes and very hard to spot. the second one was a right pain as we had to remove the inlet manifold and a $hit load of other stuff to get to it.

I've got the same problem with mine but only one tiny pin hole at first t section where the cross over bolts on to engine what do you mean by throttle delete mod ?

Andy RB5 25 August 2020 09:41 PM

Could it be power steering fluid? Looks like it, and it's in the right place for the common power steering o-ring leak

yabbadoo4 26 August 2020 07:36 PM

coolant mod

Originally Posted by Scoobyjake (Post 12088272)
I've got the same problem with mine but only one tiny pin hole at first t section where the cross over bolts on to engine what do you mean by throttle delete mod ?

The water pipes run off to the throttle body and round it and back again. its supposed to aid cold weather starting in the winter but lots of impreza owners bypass the run off to the throttle body as its heating up the throttle body with hot water when you really want it to be as cold as possible. you cut out the run to the throttle body and join with rubber hose.