ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Exhaust fumes in car (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1035354-exhaust-fumes-in-car.html)

Swiss tone 22 February 2016 04:29 PM

Exhaust fumes in car

I have the occasional strong smell of exhaust fumes getting into the car.

I assume the most obvious place is through the bulkhead behind the dash. Can anyone advise if there is a common gasket that leaks?

I have tried holding my hand on the exhaust to force the leak but difficult the hear the engine bay when i'm at the back!

Its got a full RCM 3" exhaust btw.

Anyone had a similar thing?

Cheers

The Pink Ninja 22 February 2016 06:09 PM

Could be any gasket, it's not a Bugeye is it...could it be fuel?

Swiss tone 22 February 2016 07:09 PM

It's a blobeye mate. Think it will be in engine bay as can't see how fumes would get in from under car or through boot. Only occasionally but not good breathing that in eh.
Prob start at up-pipe area then. Sure it's exhaust smell and not fuel?
Cheers

horsham rc 22 February 2016 08:35 PM

I had a strong exsust gas smell every now and then turns out it was ringland fail on my 2.5 sti.

Swiss tone 22 February 2016 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by horsham rc (Post 11800466)
I had a strong exsust gas smell every now and then turns out it was ringland fail on my 2.5 sti.

Can you remember which joint. I assume a ringland is a gasket? Might help checking common weak spots first.

JDM_Stig 22 February 2016 10:32 PM

we had this a while back on here, one of the rubber grommets from the engine thru into the car had been pushed out when some additional wiring(may have been a boost gauge install) had been installed.

G10 22 February 2016 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Swiss tone (Post 11800540)
Can you remember which joint. I assume a ringland is a gasket? Might help checking common weak spots first.

Ringlands are the rings around the top of your pistons, search "subaru ringland failure".

My mate's car was leaking fumes in the cabin and it turned out to be the seal on an injector.

horsham rc 23 February 2016 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Swiss tone (Post 11800540)

Yes as said ringland is piston fail. The smell I got was exhaust gases not fuel or pure oil.

Swiss tone 23 February 2016 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by horsham rc (Post 11800813)
Yes as said ringland is piston fail. The smell I got was exhaust gases not fuel or pure oil.

Ah yes, isn't the ringland failure the issue with the 2.5 engine though? Mine the 2.0 blob eye and can't think it's that. It's done 34k and recently had a Heath check.

Rbon91 23 February 2016 04:22 PM

Looking at something that can tow a trailer with my Scooby on. Have about 5k to put down on it then spread the cost on drip. Planning on keeping it a few years so wanting something with about 50k on the clock with full leather etc